Page 62 of 124 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672112 ... LastLast

Thread: Spawn

Fantastic Member

Issue 56 - Khan - the majority of this issue is from the viewpoint of Forsberg, a military strategist who Wynn brought on board in his early years so he can learn from him and the teachings of Genghis Khan which explains where Wynn's bloodlust and need for conquest comes from. We find out that Wynn, when Forsberg refused to teach Wynn anymore, had his wife and son killed and locked him up. Spawn and Terry Fitzgerald are now working together in the hopes of taking down Wynn and freeing Forsberg is part of the plan. Wynn faces increasing pressure from the President due to the actions of Spawn/Fitzgerald and Clown is leaving Wynn high and dry to sort this mess out. Meanwhile, Cygor is waiting for Spawn to return in his throne which has been slowly building up since Cygor's intro in issue 38. The issue ends with Spawn raiding the facility where Forsberg is being kept, freeing him, but as Spawn is dragging him out Forsberg drops a box which contains the dress his wife wore and the head of the his son's favorite toy which is a nod to Luke Skywalker.

This was a really good issue. We finally peel back a bit more on Wynn and where his mindset comes from and the ramifications of going against him with is newfound mentality. Forsberg's mind is really shattered as he fears Wynn coming back as he looks into the eyes of the guard and the military personnel in the hopes it isn't him. When Spawn finally shows up at the end, he believes its Wynn. The Cygor plot point is the very definition of a slow burn, but a good one. The Clown/Wynn team up is shattering a bit and I did enjoy Spawn/Terry teaming up in these issues as it feels like a long time coming. Good stuff.

Mighty Member

In other news Todd is not only working on the reboot movie still but he is also working on two new spawn aniamted series after the movie one for adults and the other for kids neat.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/...ies-for-kids-/

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/09...time-director/
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-03-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Fantastic Member

Issue 65 - The Past - this issue is a conversation between Sam & Twitch and Cog as they meet for the first time and Cog fills them in on who Al is, without specifically saying his full name, what he is as a Spawn and what it means in the grand scheme with Heaven and Hell, they see Spawn's throne, and why Spawn left Kincaid's body in Sam & Twitch's office back in issue 5. Its a fine enough issue that serves as an indoctrination for Sam & Twitch into Spawn's world which up to this point they have only been on the border of and serves as the first steps toward them teaming up with Spawn in the future. Spawn isn't seen until the end, from his mission against Wynn in the previous issue, but doesn't do anything here. Its okay, but nothing more or less than that.

As for the new Spawn news, thinking about it, it does seem like the perfect time for Spawn to be mainstream again with the MK11 appearance, the movie, and reaching 300 issues, but hopefully Todd can get all of these projects off the ground. We are talking the following:

- Spawn movie
    - Spawn animated series for adults and kids
    - The BBC Sam & Twitch series
    - Sam & Twitch mini series
    - Misery on going
    - Still doing the main series
    - Still doing McFarlane Toys which they are doing Fortnite, Naruto, Stranger Things, and One Punch Man to name a few

Its a lot for one guy so hopefully Image is helping him get these projects off the ground and going because the time to strike is now while its hot. The Spawn-verse idea is something Spawn did back in the day when the series was hot - Spawn the Impaler, Curse of the Spawn, Medieval Spawn, Dark Ages, Cygor, Violator, Angela, Godslayer, the manga, Sam & Twitch etc... - and while something the series can try again with Sam & Twitch and Misery, hopefully, its something that they make quality products out of and not something like the last Medieval Spawn series (which sucked) or Spawn Kills Everyone (which I have no idea who that was for and consider it one of the worst mini series the franchise has)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Issue 65 - The Past - this issue is a conversation between Sam & Twitch and Cog as they meet for the first time and Cog fills them in on who Al is, without specifically saying his full name, what he is as a Spawn and what it means in the grand scheme with Heaven and Hell, they see Spawn's throne, and why Spawn left Kincaid's body in Sam & Twitch's office back in issue 5. Its a fine enough issue that serves as an indoctrination for Sam & Twitch into Spawn's world which up to this point they have only been on the border of and serves as the first steps toward them teaming up with Spawn in the future. Spawn isn't seen until the end, from his mission against Wynn in the previous issue, but doesn't do anything here. Its okay, but nothing more or less than that.

As for the new Spawn news, thinking about it, it does seem like the perfect time for Spawn to be mainstream again with the MK11 appearance, the movie, and reaching 300 issues, but hopefully Todd can get all of these projects off the ground. We are talking the following:

- Spawn movie
    - Spawn animated series for adults and kids
    - The BBC Sam & Twitch series
    - Sam & Twitch mini series
    - Misery on going
    - Still doing the main series
    - Still doing McFarlane Toys which they are doing Fortnite, Naruto, Stranger Things, and One Punch Man to name a few

Its a lot for one guy so hopefully Image is helping him get these projects off the ground and going because the time to strike is now while its hot. The Spawn-verse idea is something Spawn did back in the day when the series was hot - Spawn the Impaler, Curse of the Spawn, Medieval Spawn, Dark Ages, Cygor, Violator, Angela, Godslayer, the manga, Sam & Twitch etc... - and while something the series can try again with Sam & Twitch and Misery, hopefully, its something that they make quality products out of and not something like the last Medieval Spawn series (which sucked) or Spawn Kills Everyone (which I have no idea who that was for and consider it one of the worst mini series the franchise has)
    Well two animated spawn series one for kids and one for adults. Maybe we can get more Spawn video games,comic strips,merchandise,and literate novels hopefully.

I love Todd for forever over-promising and under-delivering. The man talks the best game.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Mighty Member

I mean we have Spawn in MK11 and is still working on the movie then after that the two animated series,bbc sam and twitch,plus two more spin-offs,and merchindise.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    In other news Todd is not only working on the reboot movie still but he is also working on two new spawn aniamted series after the movie one for adults and the other for kids neat.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/...ies-for-kids-/

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/09...time-director/
    I'm a lot more excited for this than any Spawn movie news. I loved the old cartoon, here's hoping the two new ones live up to that level, albeit both in their own ways.

Mighty Member

Spawn 300 is out now so let's go down turns out Wanda's killer was the violator and his partner the godsend also helped killed Angela and her Angels. They want to destroy the humans out of spite for spawn and meanwhile redeemer/Eddie frank became the reaper while Nyx was killed and Jessica becomes she-spawn. Jim downing returns and the issue ends on a cliffhanger

Ugh, the writing is so bad. Congrats on 300 issues, it's definitely an accomplishment, but maybe the quality should reflect the duration?

Some nice art, for sure, but it feels borderline wasted.

Congratulations are in order, 300 was s an achievement!

That being sad, I collected until issue 100, first for Todd of course, later for the incredible Capullo/Miki Team, but when they quit it was time to say goodbye, too.

Still, I‘m really happy to see McFarlane celebrating such a success.

Mighty Member

I wonder who the new master of hell is now?

Fantastic Member

I am going to refrain on putting my full thoughts on issue 300 down until 301 comes out as Todd mentioned the two issues tell one story so I'll be treating it as such. However, I will say go into this issue expecting a LOT of setup. Maybe a lot more than what is needed and makes me look back at the Spawn Resurrection one shot and what has happened since then to this point in a very particular way. It is better than 250 I will say which I had a huge negative write up on that in the community here.

That said, I would like to rate the covers though sadly didn't get Jason Shawn's cover.

McFarlane Cover (where Spawn is doing a Spider-man like pose) - 1 out 5 - this is literally the exact same cover as issue 227 to a tee. Come on Todd! The fact that its going to be used again, only with the background turned white and the inner circle green, as one of the covers for 301 just isn't good. I get its supposed to be a throwback cover to Spider-man 300, but he did it already so it reeks of laziness.

McFarlane Cover (where Spawn is posing) - 2 out of 5. Not much to this one to be honest.

Capullo/McFarlane Cover (where Spawn is shooting with his guns) - 2.5 out of 5 - this is okay, but where does the 3 in the cover come from? I get the guns are the 0s, but the 3 just sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't look good and with a white background it doesn't help.

Capullo Cover (Spawn with a sword) - 2.5 out of 5 - it feels like a typical cover one would see from Capullo, but for the 300th issue I expected a bit more.

Opena Cover (army of Spawn) - 3 out of 5 - I like this one as an acknowledgement of the different Spawn and given where the story seems to be going I like story related covers. Omega Spawn I can do without though.

Campbell Cover (Spawn in a church) - 4 out 5 - I really love this cover and all of its little details on the stained glass and what Spawn is sitting on. Its a really cool cover. Though his arm, hanging down, most likely due to the pose, comes off longer than his other arm. Other than that great stuff!
    Last edited by HellsRider; 09-04-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Mighty Member

I want to ask if sam and twitch:True Detectives is gonna be 8 issues what would misery be since most spawn spin-offs were shorted than the main series? I think 29 issues that would inter connect with the main seires Cyan having her own supporting cast and rogues gallery though not as big as Spawn's obviously that would possibly appear in the later issues.

Fantastic Member

Issue 76 - Farewell Dance - The entire issue is from the viewpoint of Granny Blake as she reminisces about her husband, Jack, at his grave as Spawn appears. Since his adventure in the Greenworld, Spawn feels everything is different such as his connection to the world and he feels he is losing himself and his connection with Wanda. Granny suggests its foolish of him to think that and tells him about how she and Jack met, him going to the military, coming back and starting a family, and his unexpected death. After Granny tells Al the story, Al takes her to the Dead Zone where she is made young again and reunited with Jack for just a moment for Granny to tell Jack the goodbye she couldn't before. Once the experience is over, Granny thanks Al and suggests that Al should let go of Wanda, even for a while, as she sees he can't move passed her. She feels that even in that Al and Wanda will be reunited down the line and for now have Al focus on the big stuff coming and Wanda her life. The issue ends with Wanda and Cyan playing, a rose is left at the door of their home, and Cyan says it was the sad man.

This was a very sweet issue and given the years, you forget that Spawn produced issues like this. Since the Greenworld adventure and everything getting so big, Al is feeling a bit lost in things so he returns to the one confidant he can always talk to in Granny Blake. Its a great conversation they have, however, we find out that in the end Al can't move past Wanda as everything ends up coming back to her as the series went on. Even the most recent stuff has been about tracking down who killed her so in a way she is still in play. That said this was a great one and done story that is a rarity in the series.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Issue 76 - Farewell Dance - The entire issue is from the viewpoint of Granny Blake as she reminisces about her husband, Jack, at his grave as Spawn appears. Since his adventure in the Greenworld, Spawn feels everything is different such as his connection to the world and he feels he is losing himself and his connection with Wanda. Granny suggests its foolish of him to think that and tells him about how she and Jack met, him going to the military, coming back and starting a family, and his unexpected death. After Granny tells Al the story, Al takes her to the Dead Zone where she is made young again and reunited with Jack for just a moment for Granny to tell Jack the goodbye she couldn't before. Once the experience is over, Granny thanks Al and suggests that Al should let go of Wanda, even for a while, as she sees he can't move passed her. She feels that even in that Al and Wanda will be reunited down the line and for now have Al focus on the big stuff coming and Wanda her life. The issue ends with Wanda and Cyan playing, a rose is left at the door of their home, and Cyan says it was the sad man.

This was a very sweet issue and given the years, you forget that Spawn produced issues like this. Since the Greenworld adventure and everything getting so big, Al is feeling a bit lost in things so he returns to the one confidant he can always talk to in Granny Blake. Its a great conversation they have, however, we find out that in the end Al can't move past Wanda as everything ends up coming back to her as the series went on. Even the most recent stuff has been about tracking down who killed her so in a way she is still in play. That said this was a great one and done story that is a rarity in the series.
    Yeah and her daughter Cyan ended up getting superpowers herself so Wanda's legacy lives on even after death and Cyan has some sort of split personality called Misery. Also the killer was Violator.