Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13535960616263646566 LastLast
Results 931 to 945 of 987

Thread: Spawn

  1. #931
    Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,259

    Default

    Were the diehard Spawn fans pleased with #300?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  2. #932
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Were the diehard Spawn fans pleased with #300?
    Well yeah and this is part 1 of the story part is 301

  3. #933
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Any thoughts on this list?
    https://www.cbr.com/spawn-most-power...llains-ranked/

    I am suprised it took them this long to add Spawn villains.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-09-2019 at 06:13 PM.

  4. #934
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    300

    Default

    When I saw Margaret Love's name, I was like who and then I realized it was from the Spawn/Batman crossover and thought you have got to be kidding me on that. I would easily remove her, Chapel, and Overt-kill and add in Mammon, The Curse, and The Disciple. The Disciple is Heaven's best warrior and the only way for Spawn to beat him, after the Disciple easily defeated him the first time, was to lose to him after defeating the other apostles. Curse legit ripped Al from the symbiote and cut him up which no one did up to that point nor since at least until 300 where Violator peeled off the suit from Al. Mammon, from my understanding, is stronger than Malebolgia and played the biggest mind games with Al from having Al forget about Wanda to stealing Wanda's/Al's kid to raise their daughter as a killing machine. Urizen I would put at #1 just because his backstory justifies it. Neither Hell nor Heaven can beat him, but both combined can seal him away which means neither God/Satan solo and together have the power to outright destroy him, plus he nullifies souls meaning neither side get new soldiers for their respective armies.

    Issue 83 - The Conqueror - The issue opens with a book writer typing regarding the recent events plaguing New York City. Specifically the unknown phenomena of seemingly normal people giving into their dark desires and killing many people. Spawn is confused about what to do with Kincaid back and has no idea how to end his reign of terror. He turns to Sam & Twitch to find a way to resolve this. We cut to Jason Wynn, recently demoted, and Kincaid infects him. Wynn enters a diner and open fires, killing everyone and setting the place on fire. He later wakes up elsewhere not knowing how he got there and is jumped by some thugs who beat him and steal from him. Spawn, now at the Dead Zone, continues to curse his inability to do anything until Cog appears saying they need to talk. The next day, Wynn wakes up dazed and confused as Bobby finds him and tries to help him out.

    This is the continuation of the return of Billy Kincaid arc and its a good issue. We feel a city that has no idea what can happen next and our heroes being powerless to stop Kincaid for now. The focus on Wynn is a poignant one going back to the Khan issue and drudging up that feeling of power and control that Wynn craves and was taught now used in a way that he didn't intend. Its absolutely horrible what he did at the diner, but him getting beat up afterwards is a small level of comeuppance one can enjoy. Overall, I enjoyed this arc of Spawn back in the day and now. Its treated as a mystery at first and as it goes on you realize its not going to be as simple as fisticuffs to resolve the issue, though the final issue of the arc does contain that. This also brought Sam & Twitch and Spawn closer strengthening that relationship especially between Twitch and Spawn. Good stuff!

  5. #935
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    When I saw Margaret Love's name, I was like who and then I realized it was from the Spawn/Batman crossover and thought you have got to be kidding me on that. I would easily remove her, Chapel, and Overt-kill and add in Mammon, The Curse, and The Disciple. The Disciple is Heaven's best warrior and the only way for Spawn to beat him, after the Disciple easily defeated him the first time, was to lose to him after defeating the other apostles. Curse legit ripped Al from the symbiote and cut him up which no one did up to that point nor since at least until 300 where Violator peeled off the suit from Al. Mammon, from my understanding, is stronger than Malebolgia and played the biggest mind games with Al from having Al forget about Wanda to stealing Wanda's/Al's kid to raise their daughter as a killing machine. Urizen I would put at #1 just because his backstory justifies it. Neither Hell nor Heaven can beat him, but both combined can seal him away which means neither God/Satan solo and together have the power to outright destroy him, plus he nullifies souls meaning neither side get new soldiers for their respective armies.

    Issue 83 - The Conqueror - The issue opens with a book writer typing regarding the recent events plaguing New York City. Specifically the unknown phenomena of seemingly normal people giving into their dark desires and killing many people. Spawn is confused about what to do with Kincaid back and has no idea how to end his reign of terror. He turns to Sam & Twitch to find a way to resolve this. We cut to Jason Wynn, recently demoted, and Kincaid infects him. Wynn enters a diner and open fires, killing everyone and setting the place on fire. He later wakes up elsewhere not knowing how he got there and is jumped by some thugs who beat him and steal from him. Spawn, now at the Dead Zone, continues to curse his inability to do anything until Cog appears saying they need to talk. The next day, Wynn wakes up dazed and confused as Bobby finds him and tries to help him out.

    This is the continuation of the return of Billy Kincaid arc and its a good issue. We feel a city that has no idea what can happen next and our heroes being powerless to stop Kincaid for now. The focus on Wynn is a poignant one going back to the Khan issue and drudging up that feeling of power and control that Wynn craves and was taught now used in a way that he didn't intend. Its absolutely horrible what he did at the diner, but him getting beat up afterwards is a small level of comeuppance one can enjoy. Overall, I enjoyed this arc of Spawn back in the day and now. Its treated as a mystery at first and as it goes on you realize its not going to be as simple as fisticuffs to resolve the issue, though the final issue of the arc does contain that. This also brought Sam & Twitch and Spawn closer strengthening that relationship especially between Twitch and Spawn. Good stuff!
    Well actually morana was retconed so mammon's prominace was kinda fallen and the hellspawn origins were retconned thanks to 291 onwards I mean mammon lacks the raw power compared to Malebolgia and Satan and hide behind pawns remeber? Anyway with 300 violator had gotten stronger and billy Kincaid was a hellspawn wasn't he?
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-10-2019 at 08:07 PM.

  6. #936

    Default

    #300 allowed for some great art (the Capullo section took me back to the early days when I first started Spawn), but given the amount of build and the significance of #300 I have to say, and I take no pleasure in admitting this, I am disappointed in McFarlane. I mean it is just patently obvious he doesn't really care all that much about the comic, in terms of substance, and it is more of a trophy for him at this point. The fact that they have to make a big deal about the fact that McFarlane bothered to draw something for it speaks volumes, but even that was kind of sullied by the laziness of the covers. And the writing - McFarlane NEEDS to hand the comic off to someone, it just needs to happen. He needs to be comfortable with just stepping away from, being proud with his accomplishment, and handing the it over to a new writer who is interested in conceiving and developing, even inventing, something new for the title, something that has something with a story to tell with real arcs and character developments, something more than just a 'make it up as you go with no real coherence, with a change to facilitate a new toy every time I've scheduled it on the books' attitude.

    And yes, I know #301 completes #300, so to speak, and I'm not just trying to shit on Spawn, but this is just the reality of it in my opinion.

  7. #937
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    91

    Default

    What happened to Andy frank though?

  8. #938
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Well actually morana was retconed so mammon's prominace was kinda fallen and the hellspawn origins were retconned thanks to 291 onwards I mean mammon lacks the raw power compared to Malebolgia and Satan and hide behind pawns remeber? Anyway with 300 violator had gotten stronger and billy Kincaid was a hellspawn wasn't he?
    Kincaid was just an apparition sent by Malebolgia to do the work that Al refused to do in getting souls for hell. That weird issue really early on in the series where we saw the different levels of hell with Kincaid and the Vindicator if I remember correctly did end with him in a Spawn suit, but he came back quite differently.

    The CBR list pretty much takes into account the series retcon or not given that Chapel is in it which him being responsible for Al's death was later retconned for it to be Jessica Priest so everything is fair game. I think Mammon is still notable in the Spawn history as a Luthor type villain, the mind games and being ahead of and hurting Spawn, and earns his spot in his unique way, despite my own negative thoughts on him. I mean technically Malebolgia did send Violator and Kincaid after Al and even tried using Urizen with Ab and Zab and Satan used Belial and the female demon so upper management always has its minions.

  9. #939
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HellsRider View Post
    Kincaid was just an apparition sent by Malebolgia to do the work that Al refused to do in getting souls for hell. That weird issue really early on in the series where we saw the different levels of hell with Kincaid and the Vindicator if I remember correctly did end with him in a Spawn suit, but he came back quite differently.

    The CBR list pretty much takes into account the series retcon or not given that Chapel is in it which him being responsible for Al's death was later retconned for it to be Jessica Priest so everything is fair game. I think Mammon is still notable in the Spawn history as a Luthor type villain, the mind games and being ahead of and hurting Spawn, and earns his spot in his unique way, despite my own negative thoughts on him. I mean technically Malebolgia did send Violator and Kincaid after Al and even tried using Urizen with Ab and Zab and Satan used Belial and the female demon so upper management always has its minions.
    mammon despite being one of the three big bads of the series doesn't seem like the like the fighting type compared to the other two big bads Malebolgia and Satan who seem to be capable fighters so I guess Mammon is more into manipulations and mind games.

  10. #940
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Issue 95 - Cracks in the Foundation - The issue begins with a couple of guys driving with a dead body in the back of the car when Spawn appears. The freak out, crash and die....until they live again with strange markings on their faces. We cut to Terry and Wanda arguing because somehow Wanda is pregnant and they argue as to how the conception happened. We go to Spawn visiting his grave and seeing the ghost of Al Simmons who has appeared from time to time in recent issues. Cut back to the two revived guys as they enter a diner, discuss a covert job they are about to do - ending the world - and killing all 13 people in the diner, taking them up a hill and setting the bodies on fire. Spawn senses this and springs into action only to find a dark being waiting for him.

    I have to say this issue has one of my favorite covers and end page in the series history. This is the full kick off of the Urizen arc and its simple, straight to the point, and awesome. We are introduced to Ab and Zab and you can kinda guess who sent them and wants this to happen right off the bat even though the mystery of who woke up Urizen hangs over the arc as its used as a build to issue 100. We touched on the Wanda situation briefly to continue the mystery and Spawn's conversations with Ghost Al is seemingly a way for him to stay grounded with himself and as a human/man. Its a fairly straight forward issue with a great ending with Spawn about to do battle with this dark unknown entity. Great stuff!

  11. #941
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Issue 106 - Retribution Overdrive Part 2 - The issue begins with Spawn following up a lead given to him by Overt-Kill in the previous issue with General Franklin Marder while someone watches on. The rest of the issue is Spawn going from place to place and person to person until he finds the one responsible - Jason Wynn. Spawn puts a mental scar on Wynn so he believes he lost all of his skin driving him mad. The issue ends with Spawn dropping off a tape that contains an image of him so he is known in the world.

    This was okay though long in the tooth. Sure we got some nice scenes like Spawn taking the roof off of a car, but I felt it could have been shorter. The issue continues to move along the point of Al being more Spawn than human and Jason getting some comeuppance is always nice.

  12. #942
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Issue 116 - Consequences - The issue is split in two parts. The first is with Cog and Spawn as Spawn returns to the City and finds that Cog is dying. He tries to heal him, but Cog wants nothing to do with Spawn's power seeing that their isn't much humanity left in Spawn and that he'll lose to Hell at this rate. Spawn, however, disagrees and says that humanity's plight has consumed him where he wants to help them, but now sees that by taking care of each situation one at a time it isn't going to work. That said, he plans to use his Hell as a paradise that would wash over all of Earth where everyone is welcome. Cog doubts at first, but wants to help him though Spawn, as he says this, doesn't realize he stopped time.

    The majority of the issue, however, is focused on Eddie as he writes a letter to his younger brother Andy (these are two young boys introduced way back when). We find out that Andy is in foster care and Eddie has just gotten out of juvenile detention, but has no idea where Andy is. During his time in juvi he did find faith and was told a way to redeem himself. He goes to port authority and opens fire landing him in the hospital where he is transformed into the Redeemer.

    This was a really good issue. This is our second time following up with Eddie/Andy and at some point it felt like one or both would be made into something bigger for the series and we do so here with Eddie becoming Redeemer III. A vulnerable mind such as his, though, you have a bit of a feeling he is being manipulated and can guess by who. We also begin to lay work for A Season In Hell with Spawn/Cog as Cog while accepting his fate is terrified given Hell's unknown condition since the death of Malebolgia though Spawn's speech does inspire some hope in him to fight for. Good stuff that is laying the work for future stories coming soon.

  13. #943
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Well since we are getting new characters cyan should get her own supporting cast and rogues gallery since she is getting her own spin-off as misery and have them come into the main series. Also we can get the anti-God as in the anti-mother to the mother of existence like the one below all ,Decreator,and great evil beast who are the anti-gods of marvel and dc universe I think the spawn universe should get the anti God as the evil counterpart of the mother of existence basically as the bigger bad.

  14. #944
    Spectacular Member KROENEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Yeah, outside of some of the art, I was disappointed in #300. Seems less of a streamlined approach, and more of an "let's toss everything at the wall and see what sticks" thing. I didn't find anything emotionally satisfying, no resolutions, just more mysteries and questions that will never be answered.

  15. #945
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KROENEN View Post
    Yeah, outside of some of the art, I was disappointed in #300. Seems less of a streamlined approach, and more of an "let's toss everything at the wall and see what sticks" thing. I didn't find anything emotionally satisfying, no resolutions, just more mysteries and questions that will never be answered.
    Well this is part one part two is 301 and then 302 and 303

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •