Page 87 of 126 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1878

Thread: Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    the Plague Spawn looks really different from other Spawn actually.
    No, not really. Its a rehash of Portacio's Spawn way back in issue 185+:
    spawn-190_c87ba83c1c.jpg
    spawn-186_c95d790368.jpg
    spawn-187_e8a43c9963.jpg

Being a Spawn fan since issue #1 - this title has had its ups and downs but the book right now is unreadable trash. The scripting and plotting seems like its done by a fifth grader. Its so bad its laughable. Monolith and Omega Spawn are the definition of dumb.

Todd has fallen off a cliff - its hard to believe he is releasing this junk. My jaw hits the floor every month in disgust. This book actually did have moments of smart writing and good payoffs - usually when McFarlane wasnt writing it ironically. Its funny Todd swoops back in around issue 300 to take all the credit for the "World Breaking Comic 300" when he had nothing to do with the book for nearly half of the 300 issues. Erik Larsen needs celebrated tenfold when he hits the 300 mark being that he wrote and drew every single issue.

Now im part of the problem because I wont stop buying the Spawn comic. Its one of two comics ive been there since the beginning in 1992 and was able to purchase every issue released (the other being savage dragon) - so theres no way i could stop collecting it - but doesnt mean i have to like it.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    No, not really. Its a rehash of Portacio's Spawn way back in issue 185+:
    spawn-190_c87ba83c1c.jpg
    spawn-186_c95d790368.jpg
    spawn-187_e8a43c9963.jpg

Being a Spawn fan since issue #1 - this title has had its ups and downs but the book right now is unreadable trash. The scripting and plotting seems like its done by a fifth grader. Its so bad its laughable. Monolith and Omega Spawn are the definition of dumb.

Todd has fallen off a cliff - its hard to believe he is releasing this junk. My jaw hits the floor every month in disgust. This book actually did have moments of smart writing and good payoffs - usually when McFarlane wasnt writing it ironically. Its funny Todd swoops back in around issue 300 to take all the credit for the "World Breaking Comic 300" when he had nothing to do with the book for nearly half of the 300 issues. Erik Larsen needs celebrated tenfold when he hits the 300 mark being that he wrote and drew every single issue.

Now im part of the problem because I wont stop buying the Spawn comic. Its one of two comics ive been there since the beginning in 1992 and was able to purchase every issue released (the other being savage dragon) - so theres no way i could stop collecting it - but doesnt mean i have to like it.
    Sounds like a guilty pleasure for you.

Mighty Member

I've been on and off Spawn over the years, really starting when I bought a bunch of back issues about 10 years ago, what I remember from that was issues 75-100 being a golden period for spawn.
    It seems that was the best era

The next batch I picked up was around 220, of which they seemed to be trying something completely different that didn't really work for me.

I've only picked up the past two issues, but it seems like it's stopped taking itself too seriously. I don't mind it at the moment, it's big dumb action but it knows it's big dumb action, however the pacing is awful. In two issues, I'd say about an hour of in comic time has passed.

I'll say Spawn is just fine, if a bit directionless.
    Honestly, the true successor to Spawn is Donny Cates' Venom, which feels like those issues 75-100 golden spawn issues.

It makes sense that Cates will do a Spawn comic this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Sounds like a guilty pleasure for you.
    I guess you could say that. I do or did genuinely like the comic at its high points. Still, to be buying a comic starting in middle school in 1992 and still buying each and every issue thru 2021 is a pretty cool feat of my collection. Thats why I cant stop now even if the comic sucks.

People's tastes, of course, change over time. After all this time, I just wish it was better - theres so much potential even after all these years. The one great thing about Spawn is no one knows where its going next - it could go anywhere - there are no rules. The problem is you could tell Todd doesnt even know where its going at the moment. Completely winging it.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    I've been on and off Spawn over the years, really starting when I bought a bunch of back issues about 10 years ago, what I remember from that was issues 75-100 being a golden period for spawn.
    I've only picked up the past two issues, but it seems like it's stopped taking itself too seriously. I don't mind it at the moment, it's big dumb action but it knows it's big dumb action, however the pacing is awful. In two issues, I'd say about an hour of in comic time has passed.
    I would agree with this. I love 75-100. Some of the best issues.
    Whats funny is at the time, and even shortly after, the fanbase did NOT like that 75-100 era of spawn. Its mentioned multiple times in the books' letter pages and back then on the spawn.com forums that people found that era too slow. So McFarlane tried to switch it up - but years later, its that era that still holds up.

I guess you are correct about current spawn finally not taking itself too seriously - thats definitely where the book is at the moment. I prefer the tone and seriousness of the HBO animated series and the runs listed that follows:

-Brian Holguin's writing on Spawn was really good. (he was involved with #71-150 or so. 75 to 100 being the highmark)
    -Im a big fan of issues #110-121 (the big Cog reveal).

-#140-141 Holguin+Nat Jones+Jay Fotos two parter about Female Spawn thru Hell.

-David Hine's and Haberlin's run from 166-184 (the definitive dark tone the series should have followed - but which Mcfarlane completely ignored afterwards. the 166-168 clown arc are some of the best horror comics ive ever read.)

-#200-215 or so (when McFarlane was actually going by a different author name: Will Carlton)

-#258-266 Erik Larsen's short run where spawn actually uses his powers and kicks ass. Larsen was pretty infamously kicked off the book (or quit - cant remember) and Todd made changes behind Larsen's back if im remembering correctly.

When Todd lets another creator go wild on Spawn - they usually end up with some good results. Todd then seems to reign them back in, kick them off the book, and/or ignore everything they did. Its clearly obvious McFarlane needs help in the writing dept at least.
    Last edited by Destro777; 03-16-2021 at 03:56 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    I guess you could say that. I do or did genuinely like the comic at its high points. Still, to be buying a comic starting in middle school in 1992 and still buying each and every issue thru 2021 is a pretty cool feat of my collection. Thats why I cant stop now even if the comic sucks.

People's tastes, of course, change over time. After all this time, I just wish it was better - theres so much potential even after all these years. The one great thing about Spawn is no one knows where its going next - it could go anywhere - there are no rules. The problem is you could tell Todd doesnt even know where its going at the moment. Completely winging it.

I would agree with this. I love 75-100. Some of the best issues.
    Whats funny is at the time, and even shortly after, the fanbase did NOT like that 75-100 era of spawn. Its mentioned multiple times in the books' letter pages and back then on the spawn.com forums that people found that era too slow. So McFarlane tried to switch it up - but years later, its that era that still holds up.

I guess you are correct about current spawn finally not taking itself too seriously - that definitely where the book is at the moment. I prefer the tone and seriousness of the HBO animated series and the runs listed that follows:

-Brian Holguin's writing on Spawn was really good. (he was involved with #71-150 or so. 75 to 100 being the highmark)
    -Im a big fan of issues #110-121 (the big Cog reveal).

-#140-141 Holguin+Nat Jones+Jay Fotos two parter about Female Spawn thru Hell.

-David Hine's and Haberlin's run from 166-184 (the definitive dark tone the series should have followed - but which Mcfarlane completely ignored afterwards. the 166-168 clown arc are some of the best horror comics ive ever read.)

-#200-215 or so (when McFarlane was actually going by a different author name: Will Carlton)

-#258-266 Erik Larsen's short run where spawn actually uses his powers and kicks ass. Larsen was pretty infamously kicked off the book (or quit - cant remember) and Todd made changes behind Larsen's back if im remembering correctly.

When Todd lets another creator go wild on Spawn - they usually end up with some good results. Todd then seems to reign then back in, kick them off the book, and/or ignore everything they did. Its clearly obvious McFarlane needs help in the writing dept at least.
    Very true.

McFarlane isn’t really a good writer.

The original run’s pace and overall direction picked up with Holguin came in. The book is generally better written when someone other than Mcfarlane is writing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Very true.

McFarlane isn’t really a good writer.

The original run’s pace and overall direction picked up with Holguin came in. The book is generally better written when someone other than Mcfarlane is writing.
    Would you say that about Todds Spider-MAn run? I own every issue, but I read them when I was a teenager, so its all all memories of it. I have to re read it.

Mighty Member

also todd's birthday is today.

Mighty Member

Also hope that we still get spawn to evolve to a multi media franchise again.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Would you say that about Todds Spider-MAn run? I own every issue, but I read them when I was a teenager, so its all all memories of it. I have to re read it.
    The ones McFarlane wrote (I.e the main adjective less Spider-man book) was pretty meh. It was much darker than the other titles but just not as well written. Marvel basically gave him his own book to placate him (which ultimately still didn’t work).

Micheline’s writing was far superior and his books were better. But the 90s was the decade of the artist and McFarlane’s books sold like mad.

Mighty Member

I haven't read adjective less Spider-man yet, although I do plan on getting the recently released graphic novel at some point. The stuff he did on Amazing is great however.

I think what Spawn needs now is honestly a reboot. McFarlane should just give writing and artist duties to someone else, say 'I'm giving you the keys to Spawn Universe, but we'll write out the series together, we'll filter the continuity through, so while we're starting anew, we're not throwing everything out for those who have been collecting since it started'.
    Then he can focus on making toys of these characters and doing the art for landmark issues, maybe even covers.
    I know he has this pride of him having a high number count and never relaunching. But relaunches happen for a reason. They help make the comic feel fresh and entice new readers.
    The 315 issue count may seem impressive, and it is, but it can only go so far.

The upcoming Spawn Universe seems like a fun way of getting new readers. Hopefully that brings some life into this comic and let's McFarlane maybe ease up in writing duties.
    He has a good team of creators, especially when you get Cates on Spawn. He could essentially write the main title for a while.

Can you imagine some of the writers and artists McFarlane could get however? Imagine Kirkman writing a 6 issue arc or Stegman doing the art for a year.

But with that Cates book, I'll definitely pick that up, but if Capullo goes on art on that, then that may become one of the best books I get a month.

Mighty Member

I haven't read adjective less Spider-man yet, although I do plan on getting the recently released graphic novel at some point. The stuff he did on Amazing is great however.

I think what Spawn needs now is honestly a reboot. McFarlane should just give writing and artist duties to someone else, say 'I'm giving you the keys to Spawn Universe, but we'll write out the series together, we'll filter the continuity through, so while we're starting anew, we're not throwing everything out for those who have been collecting since it started'.
    Then he can focus on making toys of these characters and doing the art for landmark issues, maybe even covers.
    I know he has this pride of him having a high number count and never relaunching. But relaunches happen for a reason. They help make the comic feel fresh and entice new readers.
    The 315 issue count may seem impressive, and it is, but it can only go so far.

The upcoming Spawn Universe seems like a fun way of getting new readers. Hopefully that brings some life into this comic and let's McFarlane maybe ease up in writing duties.
    He has a good team of creators, especially when you get Cates on Spawn. He could essentially write the main title for a while.

Can you imagine some of the writers and artists McFarlane could get however? Imagine Kirkman writing a 6 issue arc or Stegman doing the art for a year.

But with that Cates book, I'll definitely pick that up, but if Capullo goes on art on that, then that may become one of the best books I get a month.
    Welll witchblade is rebooted twice and spawn technically a soft reboot already after resusrecction

Incredible Member

Finally got to the comic shop yesterday after two months to get all my books out my subscriber box.

It really felt like a chore to read the last two issues of Spawn. I mean, like, bad. I hadn’t felt this way about the book since the Jim Downing era, like, issues 201 to 250.

BANNED

The next batch I picked up was around 220, of which they seemed to be trying something completely different that didn't really work for me.

I'll say Spawn is just fine, if a bit directionless.
    Honestly, the true successor to Spawn is Donny Cates' Venom, which feels like those issues 75-100 golden spawn issues.

It makes sense that Cates will do a Spawn comic this year.
    Yeah, I think you are right,
    Cates has a lot of elements inspired by the Spawn and 90s comic in general.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    Yeah, I think you are right,
    Cates has a lot of elements inspired by the Spawn and 90s comic in general.
    Even Stegman's art is very reminiscent of Capullo's art. If someone likes the current Venom and wanted something similar, I'd put them towards those early issues of Spawn.

I do wonder what Cates will do with his Spawn. I'm certain to put it on my pull list regardless. I didn't think that would happen, but I'm sure it'll push Spawn forward.
    McFarlane is a very smart buissness man, he knows what names will sell and he knows who to bring. Cates on Spawn is probably a deal to help push his crossover forward.

Mighty Member

Even Stegman's art is very reminiscent of Capullo's art. If someone likes the current Venom and wanted something similar, I'd put them towards those early issues of Spawn.

I do wonder what Cates will do with his Spawn. I'm certain to put it on my pull list regardless. I didn't think that would happen, but I'm sure it'll push Spawn forward.
    McFarlane is a very smart buissness man, he knows what names will sell and he knows who to bring. Cates on Spawn is probably a deal to help push his crossover forward.
    He would probably make it similar to his run on venom