Page 93 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1879

Thread: Spawn

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Destro777 View Post
    Read Spawn #320 and King Spawn #1.
    The new writer's story bit was better than Todd's work (not a huge improvement but its at least something) all the other backups were by Todd himself and easily some of the worst examples of writing in comics today.

Was kinda hoping for a bit of a story reboot of sorts - some new huge arc - but nope. Todd basically expects us to buy 4 Spawn books a month with the same old nonsensical crap storyline. (Spawn, King Spawn, Gunslinger, Scorched). The Hero character is straight outta the worst of craptastic 90's image design hah.
    Yeah these titles wont last long.

Ghost Rider of course.
    You be surprised that it sold well despite criticism anyways looks like scorched is coming on December and gunslinger spawn is coming on October. There is no need for reboot just for Todd to just stop stetting up stuff and just get to the main event
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-01-2021 at 07:46 AM.

Incredible Member

Was kinda hoping for a bit of a story reboot of sorts - some new huge arc - but nope. Todd basically expects us to buy 4 Spawn books a month with the same old nonsensical crap storyline. (Spawn, King Spawn, Gunslinger, Scorched). The Hero character is straight outta the worst of craptastic 90's image design hah.
    Yeah these titles wont last long.
    I was hoping and praying that with the way issue 300 ended that 301 would have been the start of a new reboot. That with his clock now ticking up Al would have woke up/crawled out the ground in a new “reality”. Kinda reset the status quo. Give Todd a way to reboot with rebooting back with issue 1, and redo correct old stories. Lie remove anything that had to do with Angela, Chapel, etc. mix and match old concepts and dropped plot lines. That’s what I had hoped for from that countdown to issue 300, but alas…

Honestly, the best issue that Spawn could be reverted to to a soft reboot if they ever wanted to would be issue 121 or 122 when he first met Nyx. It had him crawling out the ground back in his human body. Honestly, as much as I loved David Hines run, the direction of Spawn was lost in my opinion after issue 149 and it has never recovered.
    Last edited by Blanks; 09-01-2021 at 07:53 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I was hoping and praying that with the way issue 300 ended that 301 would have been the start of a new reboot. That with his clock now ticking up Al would have woke up/crawled out the ground in a new “reality”. Kinda reset the status quo. Give Todd a way to reboot with rebooting back with issue 1, and redo correct old stories. Lie remove anything that had to do with Angela, Chapel, etc. mix and match old concepts and dropped plot lines. That’s what I had hoped for from that countdown to issue 300, but alas…

Honestly, the best issue that Spawn could be reverted to to a soft reboot if they ever wanted to would be issue 121 or 122 when he first met Nyx. It had him crawling out the ground back in his human body. Honestly, as much as I loved David Hines run, the direction of Spawn was lost in my opinion after issue 149 and it has never recovered.
    Marvel doesn’t really rebooted their universe same goes for spawn Burt haunt is back and we got nightmare spawn from the toyline to show up in the comics

Incredible Member

Yeah but with a book such as Soawn with inconsistent and very muddy continuity, even without a brand new issue 1, Spawn is in need of a fresh start. Back to basis. 301 could have been that opportunity to really clear up Al’s history as a character, get rid of all the lingering plots that were tied to other franchises (Youngblood, Angela, Savage Dragon). An opportunity to really get Spawn “right” without having to restart the book back at issue 1. Like with the old DC comics, Action Comics and Detective Comics as an example, after their world changing “Crisis” back in the 80’s, those boobs didn’t restart with new number 1’s. They just kept the ball rolling (not counting the New 52).

I say this as a longtime Spawn fan; Spawn/Al Simmons needs a reboot.

Mighty Member

Yeah but with a book such as Soawn with inconsistent and very muddy continuity, even without a brand new issue 1, Spawn is in need of a fresh start. Back to basis. 301 could have been that opportunity to really clear up Al’s history as a character, get rid of all the lingering plots that were tied to other franchises (Youngblood, Angela, Savage Dragon). An opportunity to really get Spawn “right” without having to restart the book back at issue 1. Like with the old DC comics, Action Comics and Detective Comics as an example, after their world changing “Crisis” back in the 80’s, those boobs didn’t restart with new number 1’s. They just kept the ball rolling (not counting the New 52).

I am apart of a fans group of spawn on Twitter and they said they jus these Todd to get to the main event instead of setting up stuff slowly selling to others wouldn’t work out look at angela from marvel
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-01-2021 at 08:38 AM.

I dont mean to muck up the CBR Spawn thread with my negativity but as a long time Spawn buyer - I drop in here to post my thoughts a couple times a year. I wish the book was better - I really do. Ive posted this before but ive been buying Spawn since issue #1 in 92 and havent missed an issue yet - nor will I ever out of force of habit. Cool following a book from the beginning and this one (and Savage Dragon which came out at the same time) happens to be the books ive been able to collect for as long as its been in print.

Anyways to reply to your post,
    I think its well beyond proven that Todd, himself, is incapable of "getting Spawn right". As a previous poster said: I guess the book is selling well, why should he even care at this point? He said in an interview 2 issues back that he has no plan and basically writes every issue on whim. To me at least - it shows and its shown for years and years.

Todd's been writing the Spawn comic book full time since issue #185 (outside of 2 super short runs by Paul Jenkins and Erik Larsen who were both kicked off the book). As far as I can tell the overall plot hasnt even moved past #185 yet (!), besides Al leaving and returning.

The overall gist from what I gather: Al sealed the deadzones - the demons and angels are all trapped on earth but in the guise of humans - I guess this is bad so Spawn is out to kill all the stragglers, thats basically it. All back-boned by Al working with this noname, most un-interesting character in all of comics, Marc. Its been stuck that way for 150 issues at this point! Just crazy.
    This is the plot they are using for the full relaunch too it seems.
    No clue why this new Spawn Universe isnt a story reboot - or fresh overall new plot - or story shift.

Issue #321 had me laughing out loud - still more nonsensical conversations with this Marc guy! I honestly have no clue what the hell is going on or have any care at all for the characters. I used to care about many characters in Spawn: Cyan, Cog, Nix, Bootsy, Wanda, Redeemer, all of the homeless bums, Sam, Twitch, Clown - the child spawn from Hine's run, Granny, the greenworld, old lady God.

Image was almost universally panned for its crap writing and stories in the 90s but any 90s Spawn issue is better than at least the last 100 issues of Spawn from 2021 on back.
    Last edited by Destro777; 09-03-2021 at 09:58 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Spectacular Member

I don’t think there can be anyone to argue with you, the writing in Spawn is deplorable. I do get the feeling that it is building to a reset just based on Al seeming like a ticking timebomb but I don’t know if that is giving too much faith in Todd to be able to deliver that.

321 is pretty bad, there is no denying it. The back and forth between Al and Marc was nonsensical with Al telling them to leave and Marc complaining about being a hostage. The book reads like a drawn out recap page.

But there is an undeniable resurgence in all things Spawn now. The books are selling more, there is a return of the toy line and more general interest in this property overall. Something is working.

I will say that King Spawn was really good. It was great seeing Sam and Twitch and Haunt again. And it looks like Billy Kincaid is coming back too.

With Todd relinquishing the writing duties on the movie it might be a good sign that he is willing to give some creative direction over to the new writers coming on board on the new titles. There is still a lot to be excited about, writing aside this has been the best Spawn has been in a few years with the new universe being built.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    I don’t think there can be anyone to argue with you, the writing in Spawn is deplorable. I do get the feeling that it is building to a reset just based on Al seeming like a ticking timebomb but I don’t know if that is giving too much faith in Todd to be able to deliver that.

321 is pretty bad, there is no denying it. The back and forth between Al and Marc was nonsensical with Al telling them to leave and Marc complaining about being a hostage. The book reads like a drawn out recap page.

But there is an undeniable resurgence in all things Spawn now. The books are selling more, there is a return of the toy line and more general interest in this property overall. Something is working.

I will say that King Spawn was really good. It was great seeing Sam and Twitch and Haunt again. And it looks like Billy Kincaid is coming back too.

With Todd relinquishing the writing duties on the movie it might be a good sign that he is willing to give some creative direction over to the new writers coming on board on the new titles. There is still a lot to be excited about, writing aside this has been the best Spawn has been in a few years with the new universe being built.
    Yeah on gamefaqs I made a post on this should spawn reboot most of them say no that is only dc’s shick at least from one user and another sister said a soft reboot is only needed make it a reboot and not reboot at the same time

Interesting - I wasnt aware of that about the movie. That IS a good sign. Have other writers for the other books even been announced yet?
    I will admit in King Spawn you could immediately tell the difference in writing with the new guy's section of the book.

haha - The dialogue went something like this - taking up like 8 pages:
    Spawn "Wheres Medieval Spawn?"
    Marc "Donno - maybe he went to get some grub"
    Lady "He might be in the bathroom."
    Spawn "GET OUT!"
    That **** killed me - like what am I reading here and why?

I missed this bit of your post the first time. Im a huge fan of that exact storyline you are referring to: 116 or so to 121. Not many people talk about that online but thats probably my favorite Spawn arc of the whole run. I always thought that would have made the perfect ending to the Spawn comic. The surprise double cross twist by the character weve grown to trust over the 100+ issues - Al thrown back to earth as a human and just end it there. Would make a great reboot point too as you said.

Very good point about 149 as well - it seemed that was the end point for all of the key people involved of the core Spawn story. Todd eventually came back but with no plan whatsoever - just wandering for 100+ issues.
    Last edited by Destro777; 09-03-2021 at 09:39 PM.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Mighty Member

Spawn needs a reboot And a retool at this point.

Just start from scratch, focus on Sam And Twitch And have Spawn be a Character in the shadows. Then work your way up to Spawn being the central character where he goes up against bigger threats

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Spawn needs a reboot And a retool at this point.

Just start from scratch, focus on Sam And Twitch And have Spawn be a Character in the shadows. Then work your way up to Spawn being the central character where he goes up against bigger threats
    Dude I already discussed this on other forms. Like from the movie a prior originally? Yeah that got changed that didn’t even feature Sam. Not that much different from what Todd wanted rebooting it was never a good idea besides spawn:resurrection already is a soft reboot kind pointless like this is why most readers read manga these days people will fear that spawn will be a sjw comic
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-04-2021 at 02:17 AM.

Mighty Member

Interesting - I wasnt aware of that about the movie. That IS a good sign. Have other writers for the other books even been announced yet?
    I will admit in King Spawn you could immediately tell the difference in writing with the new guy's section of the book.

haha - The dialogue went something like this - taking up like 8 pages:
    Spawn "Wheres Medieval Spawn?"
    Marc "Donno - maybe he went to get some grub"
    Lady "He might be in the bathroom."
    Spawn "GET OUT!"
    That **** killed me - like what am I reading here and why?

I missed this bit of your post the first time. Im a huge fan of that exact storyline you are referring to: 116 or so to 121. Not many people talk about that online but thats probably my favorite Spawn arc of the whole run. I always thought that would have made the perfect ending to the Spawn comic. The surprise double cross twist by the character weve grown to trust over the 100+ issues - Al thrown back to earth as a human and just end it there. Would make a great reboot point too as you said.

Very good point about 149 as well - it seemed that was the end point for all of the key people involved of the core Spawn story. Todd eventually came back but with no plan whatsoever - just wandering for 100+ issues.
    Nah Terrible idea besides spawn resurrection is the soft reboot one guy said dc is the one that reboots not spawn and marvel comics it will go up to 600 issues then followed up with sequels that are soft reboots besides Todd and other writers will never reboot it anyway kinda like what marvel doesn’t reboot the it universe. Unless you want spawn to be a sjw comic and people complaining about it.
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-04-2021 at 02:13 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Dude I already discussed this on other forms. Like from the movie a prior originally? Yeah that got changed that didn’t even feature Sam. Not that much different from what Todd wanted rebooting it was never a good idea besides spawn:resurrection already is a soft reboot kind pointless like this is why most readers read manga these days people will fear that spawn will be a sjw comic
    If that's the reason you think manga sales are better than comic sales, then you don't understand... Well... Anything about how the industry works.

Also Spawn may be the most hostile book to new readers,if anything, that will turn People away

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    If that's the reason you think manga sales are better than comic sales, then you don't understand... Well... Anything about how the industry works.

Also Spawn may be the most hostile book to new readers,if anything, that will turn People away
    I have met some new readers of spawn who love edgy stuff oh I understand how the industry works like people got tired of multiverse of the big two and got tired of the reboots,same stories,and status quos so they liked liniar and completed stories like manga and web comics.Most people don’t even read comcis these days just watch movies and tv shows. Besides spawn is actually quite tame compared to other books like invincible and savage dragon.

Besides this is Todd’s book albeit barely these days and he decides if it reboots and hire writers and artists for it but it is still owned by him I wouldn’t be surprised if he wrote the reboot comics too some of the iconic characters and stories were written by others but still he took back over. Like quite saying reboots it is never gonna happen todd is too stuborn to sell out spawn to other companies anyways so it was kinda pointless. The only character that is iconic is well spawn and people read spawn for todd
    Last edited by Toxin45; 09-04-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Spectacular Member

Reboot or not, good writing or bad I’m sure we can all agree that the comic looks amazing.