Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Stan Lee Reveals Jack Kirby's Last Words To Him

BANNED

STAN LEE Returns To High School Superhero Drama With BACKCHANNEL

"Backchannel is an original concept by legendary comic icon Stan Lee, with story by Stan Lee and LINE Webtoon’s own Head of Content Tom Akel."
    http://www.newsarama.com/32392-stan-...ckchannel.html

BANNED

Smile Stan Lee reflects on 75 years at Marvel

BANNED

Default Stan Lee explains why comics should take a stand on social issues

BANNED

Stan Lee Has Given Over $100,000 To The Hero Initiative

All-New Member

I like how Stan, who wasn't always family-friendly in his books.. or real life, is really trying to right his wrongs over the last few years. He seems sincere in his attempts to be a better person.

Stan the Man is the guy I idolized as a kid because of the humanization he did for superheroes. I could pick up Spiderman, X-Men, or Captain America and instantly relate to them because their lives, outside of their powers, were similar to my life. As a writer, I looked up to him for inspiration and used his personalization of Marvel characters as a basis for my own characters. There really isn't anyone that comes close to him.

Quote Originally Posted by loudmouthcollector View Post
    I like how Stan, who wasn't always family-friendly in his books.. or real life, is really trying to right his wrongs over the last few years. He seems sincere in his attempts to be a better person.
    I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here? I seem to recall pretty much everything he wrote for Marvel as being family friendly (i.e. no sex, graphic violence, swearing etc.) and as far as his personal life is concerned he's been married to the same woman for seventy years?
    "For ten dollars Jason Statham will f*** an explosion in slow motion while a Slayer song plays in the background." - Patton Oswalt

BANNED

I can't believe I forgot to share this on the forums. I know it's not new but the greats never get old.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Very nice LeapYear. Thanks for sharing that article and showing us the thinking behind the way Marvel writes.

My own take on Stan lee is that Stan never started writing his own style until the multiple issue arcs came out. I think the artists wrote all the books handed in in those early days, just from the style of writing being very formal - the dialogue was stern and mechanical until things like the Dr Strange Dormammu arc, the Spiderman Dr Octopus arc, the FF Frightful Four arc, and the Tales to Astonish Hulk arc. Once you saw the stories turn into multiple books, thats what I think made Stan Lees storytelling style show its extraordinary emotional dimension. Before that, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko and Don Heck wrote the books to my mind. I don't think Stan Lee had any part in the super hero books in the early days. He takes too much credit for the origins of the super heroes, but, when the Golden Age of "The Marvel Age of Comics" kicked in, that was all Stan Lee. That would be when Stans wife said to Stan, "write the books how you like to write it". At least thats what I take away from those early Essentials and Epic compilations I have read in a new light, recently.
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-19-2017 at 03:53 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    One thing I find impressive about him is his ability to get the best work out of his artists. So many people did their best work with him as writer/editor, including seemingly risky choices like Romita on Spider-Man. Even before the superhero era he got some of the best work out of people like Dan DeCarlo (Millie the Model) and Al Hartley (Patsy Walker). One of the signs of a good editor is his ability to deploy artists and put them on the right titles, and he seemed good at this. I know it's a cliche to say this, but I think his greatest contribution to comics is as an editor.
    Very much agree!

My brother got me his book a few Christmases ago.. I read it immediately. For anyone who hasn't, it's a very fun and enjoyable read.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I know it's a cliche to say this, but I think his greatest contribution to comics is as an editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Maybe so, but to me Stan Lee's creative writing ability is much better than his editing skills. However, as an art director and editor, Stan Lee recognizes talent when he sees an artist's artwork. Stan Lee compared his first sights of Steve Ditko's or Jack Kirby's art to the discovery of uranium.
    Rightfully so IMO.

BANNED

SJW Marvel Can't Stand That These 2 White Dudes Created The Marvel Universe

Way to go Stan and Jack