Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default There can be only one: the two Supermen issue.

So I've been mulling it over, and I honestly think there can only be one Clark Kent aka Kal-el aka Superman. Doesn't completely matter where he's from but there shouldn't be two or more of him at one time, in my opinion.

To expound on that a little more, I mean if the two or more "Clarks" have negligible differences at best, then I think there is no point. In fact, at that point it's my sincere belief that the two characters begin cutting into the others character progression and possible story points. What comes to mind, for me, is Supergirl and Power girl. They'd been in the same universe for quite some time, and for the most part Power girl had been the far more constant and memorable character using the "Supergirl" idea, but since she wasn't Supergirl proper she was a bit of a black sheep in the family. Her book was allowed to progress the character because going backwards would mean her being Supergirl, but that also seemed to me going forward for Supergirl would be Power girl. In my opinion Supergirl just sort of ended up being, at best, a mediocre character pre-52.

If at some point the plan is to have both Clarks present on Earth then you've got a very similar situation where one of these Clarks will be a rather mediocre character because of the ceiling shaped like him. The stuff that makes Clark interesting and compelling is the progression and wide shot look of his life. You put both these characters on Earth and we may very well have a situation where New 52 Clark is basically frozen in time and personality just for the sake of setting himself apart from the older Clark. A perpetually overly hot tempered and less mature Superman who is less likely to progress as a person.

This doesn't leave Superdad unscathed either, mind you. Far from it. You've got a Superman who is perpetually a stick in the mud and overly authoritative. You see what I'm getting at? It's like deliberately trying to turn them into parodies of their worst critiques from us the fans. The best case will be that one luckily gets the lion's share of the fans via and writer with an interesting vision for the character.

The solution to this seems simple, right? "Get Superdad outta here then". Well we're about to have a pretty extended run of the Rebirth era, and what that translates to is time with the character and his family for us the fans to grow attachments to. If that's not enough Jon and Damian will likely be building a pretty great bond in what Didio has proclaimed his favorite book of the bunch. You simply can't just shuck them off world after that. "Get rid of Clark and Lois but keep Jon then". Not a smart idea. Jon's point as a character is then taken away. His point is in relation to his family and their dynamic together. You take that away and you're basically left with the safe uncomfortable "we're related but not related" ideas present in Superboy Kon-el. It's a waste of a perfectly good character(s).

What it's basically come down to in my mind is that we have three options for optimum success given the stage set. Option 1. You drum up some story about maybe how the universe has taken notice of their being two Clark Kents and Lois Lanes, and now it need to rectify this. So somehow we get a story where the Supermen have to graft together their lives in order to save everything or whatever. When it's all said and done no one remembers.

Option 2. Soft reboot (no way in hell they're getting rid of Snyder's Batman run) that keeps the Lois, Clark, and Jon aspects. Play catch up using back ups and one shots that build a tapestry of this new guys life

Optional 3rd option would be the permanent death of the new 52 Superman and a soft reboot correction for Superdad.

You see, non of this would be an issue if the two Superman we super distinct. If it were say Hernan Guerra (Gods and Monsters), Val-Zod, President Superman, Captain Atom, or Superdoomsday. The list goes on. But what we have are two Supermen who were technically the same person at the start of New 52.

What does everyone else think?

Gotta respectfully disagree. I think the worst thing they could do is pick one over the other or merge them. It completely whiffs once again on noticing and acknowledging the distinct divide amongst Superman fans. I think it has some potential issues, as I think its MOST optimal if they were on different Earths, but I think its even workable on the same Earth. The family just moves to a new city, that's all. I don't see any substantial undercutting happening then, as the two would be in completely different places in their lives, doing completely different things, especially if Superdad's role will mostly be as a member of the JSA. I mean, old Jay Garrick being back won't undercut Barry in any way because they won't be around each other often, and they'll be having their own separate adventures. Yes they're different characters, but in practice they're both The Flash. I see the same way with a possible two-Superman situation. If they're just not around each other often and are doing their own things, I see little conflict. New 52 Superman has the "classic" trappings, while Superdad has moved on to a point in his life of new surroundings, new threats, new allies, etc. Its not the absolute best option, but its the option I'm convinced they're moving toward. For me by far the optimal situation would be to bring back pre-FP Earth and have it function as the "older" continuity like the original Earth Two used to.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-01-2016 at 01:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It all seems needlessly convoluted.

Either Superman can have compelling stories told with him, but neither will since clearly editorial is a mess. Just the idea that this kind of thing is even happening means that they've totally lost direction and think we will just accept whatever.

I'd be fine with a married Superman, just like I'm fine with an unmarried Superman. I literally do not care. Pick one and go, or have one on his own Earth and have 2 titles with different flavors. None of this mess.

Having a character from another reality is cool, if it is part of their character. That isn't part of who/what SUPERMAN is. There can only be one Kal-El/Clark Kent. Use the multiverse! Or, if they want a married Superman with kids just work towards that. People get married and have children all the time, it can't be hard to get New 52 Superman and Lois Lane to that point.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-01-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Using another Earth basically resolves everything. Literally everything. Its the best, no pun intended, of both worlds. But these guys just have no clue. They don't even know what they themselves want from one day to the next.

Whether I get the next best thing that I want or not, in this case new 52 Superman coming back and co-existing, the grim reality is that even then they'll botch it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Gotta respectfully disagree.
    I respect your opinion

The family just moves to a new city, that's all.
    That doesn't really fix the problems I've outlined. Powergirl and Supergirl were in two opposite cites too.

I mean, old Jay Garrick being back won't undercut Barry in any way because they won't be around each other often, and they'll be having their own separate adventures. Yes they're different characters, but in practice they're both The Flash.
    They are both not named Jay or Barry. They are Jay AND Barry. I addressed this when I brought up the other Supermen like Hernan Guerra (Gods and Monsters), Val-Zod, and President Superman. In fact Bruce Timm's reasoning for Hernan and all of the other Gods and Monsters characters was inspired by the VERY distinct shift from the Golden age Jay and Alan to the Silver age Barry and Hal. Both Clark's were literally the same person when this Reboot started.

If they're just not around each other often and are doing their own things, I see little conflict.
    You don't think that's a strange brake down in logic? Barry and Jay were practically family despite being from other worlds. I didn't bring them up because they are an example of this idea done right with little room for error. Jay isn't the older version of Barry like Powergirl and Superdad are to their counterparts. Barry doesn't have a constant reminder of a very possible future looking at him everyday. Clark does and Kara did.

New 52 Superman has the "classic" trappings, while Superdad has moved on to a point in his life of new surroundings, new threats, new allies, etc.
    That's sounds like you're saying one is stuck in a perpetual loop while the other is in a new and potentially interesting phase never before seen with the character. That sounds like one of these characters is inherently missing out because there's already a guy doing that with his face.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It all seems needlessly convoluted.

Either Superman can have compelling stories told with him, but neither will since clearly editorial is a mess. Just the idea that this kind of thing is even happening means that they've totally lost direction and think we will just accept whatever.

I'd be fine with a married Superman, just like I'm fine with an unmarried Superman. I literally do not care. Pick one and go, or have one on his own Earth and have 2 titles with different flavors. None of this mess.

Having a character from another reality is cool, if it is part of their character. That isn't part of who/what SUPERMAN is. There can only be one Kal-El/Clark Kent. Use the multiverse! Or, if they want a married Superman with kids just work towards that. People get married and have children all the time, it can't be hard to get New 52 Superman and Lois Lane to that point.
    when Marvel killed wolverine, they just brought the old man long from a Alternative future. I think that DC is trying to do the same.

I think the reason they didn't wanted new 52 superman and Lois married, is that it wouldn't work to have a 10 years old Jon Kent. The kid seems to be a major motivation of keeping superdad on earth-0.

different earth could be a solution, but it depends on some factors to work

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Sacred, name one alt reality book based on a popular character that people buy. If Batman dies without main continuity, Superman dies harder.

I think two of the character is a bad idea because you can't move a global, galactic character to just a different city. And I definitely agree about that goofy situation they had with power girl and the Legion of Other Supergirls.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Either Superman can have compelling stories told with him, but neither will since clearly editorial is a mess.
    It really does take from both more than it gives.

Having a character from another reality is cool, if it is part of their character. That isn't part of who/what SUPERMAN is. Use the multiverse!
    In a really strange way I'm pretty into the idea of Superman and his family being, basically, inter dimensional immigrants. I think it's one part topical and one part comic book as hell. It also starts greater interrogation of the Multiverse outside of a big event. The issue is the fact that this Earth already has a Clark that's just like the oncoming immigrant Clark. Makes it too messy. Would work well if this world has lost their Clark or it were someone different like Hernan with his family (I think that'd be on the nose in the best sort of way).

But as it stands it's in the most awkward of positions.

if they want a married Superman with kids just work towards that. People get married and have children all the time, it can't be hard to get New 52 Superman and Lois Lane to that point.
    Apparently that's too much to ask for. I would've been just fine if we'd done a time skip or something that sets Clark up married to Lois with a kid named Jon. You don't get the cool inter dimensional immigrant aspect but I super doubt DC is even thinking to push that obvious button anyway.

Well, you're not wrong in that two Supermen is a bad idea.

And I cant really argue with your potential solutions either. A soft reboot is one of the worst things they could do, but is certainly possible; even perhaps likely. Merging them is likewise a mess waiting to happen and therefore also quite likely. Keeping Superdad around for good is the cleanest option but I dont believe the sales will support the choice once the hype dies down.

Though as Sacred pointed out, putting Superdad back where he belongs (his own earth, not limbo, though thats certainly an arguable place for him) fixes things easily enough as well. But thats not going to generate a balanced level of customer satisfaction.

Another option, again often mentioned here, is having Superdad lose his powers and fill a "Pa Kent" role for Jon.

I think, of all the *likely* choices, that's the best one. DC is going to spend at least a year with Superdad in the main titles. That's going to become a big enough hurdle to overcome if/when Superman returns. But if they keep Superdad around as part of Jon's supporting cast but powerless and most definitely NOT in costume, then pre-Crisis/52 fans get what they want, and post-Crisis/Superdad fans get a happy ending for their guy and a status quo with Jon that strongly reflects Superdad's history (the hero having his parents to talk to).

In that way, Superdad gets a solid "ending" where his role is handed off to his son, which is fitting, mirrors his own history, and keeps him around but out of focus. And Superman gets to continue being Superman, with all the glorious pre-Crisis trappings we've been lucky enough to get back.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    when Marvel killed wolverine, they just brought the old man long from a Alternative future. I think that DC is trying to do the same.
    Lol that's not a bad observation.

I think the reason they didn't wanted new 52 superman and Lois married, is that it wouldn't work to have a 10 years old Jon Kent. The kid seems to be a major motivation of keeping superdad on earth-0.
    Jon's been called "Clark's future" and other stuff like that so I'd very much agree with that. He's a VERY big anchor that keeps Superdad and Lois rooted in this world since it's technically Jon's world. Moving Jon to another world would be complicated, and removing his parents would just break down the whole point of his being.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That's sounds like you're saying one is stuck in a perpetual loop while the other is in a new and potentially interesting phase never before seen with the character. That sounds like one of these characters is inherently missing out because there's already a guy doing that with his face.
    In essence, that's exactly what it is. Dont mind me, Im just going to answer for Sacred here.

Superman and Lois got married in 1996. That was, despite the controversy around it, a very small step from what they had been up to that point (a serious couple in a long term relationship). But they were never allowed to move beyond that; no kids, no house in the suburbs, no career advancement. Chris Kent didnt even last more than a storyline before getting shunt off to the Phantom Zone (or wherever it is they sent him until WoNK).

Once Superdad was no longer the main guy, all that changed and DC allowed him to enter a new phase in his life, precisely because he wasnt the main guy anymore.

WB is never going to allow Superman to evolve beyond the recognizable and marketable status quo. So if they both stick around, Superman is going to be stuck in that loop where he barely, if ever, gets to grow, just as Superdad was during his time.

Now, if DC was brave, they'd do the opposite: present Superdad and family as the "standard status quo" which, other than Jon, isnt that far from the norm really, and then use Superman to explore new avenues with the character typically only seen in Elseworlds and alternate realities. However, that still might be too far from the norm for WB.

Bottom line is; DC needs (or rather, thinks they need) a Superman who lives in Metropolis, writes for the Planet, messes around with Lois and fights Lex Luthor. They'll never allow the character beyond that. If there are two of them, then one of them can be something more, as long as the other fits that classic image.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Another option, again often mentioned here, is having Superdad lose his powers and fill a "Pa Kent" role for Jon.
    This isn't a bad idea at all, but my only worry is that you lose the sense of progression that is being hinted at between Jon and Clark. The progression from Pa/Jor-el to Clark to Jon. The sense of going beyond the father. It's not that hard if your dad has the same bar as your granddad, right? You could say that Superdad could just keep verbalizing how amazing Jon is in comparison to what he was, but that's far less compelling than seeing it first had. Plus could potentially open up the creepy "young dad" teaching and being that comparison for him with Superdad just being a mouth piece.

DC's put themselves in a pretty sticky situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    In essence, that's exactly what it is. Dont mind me, Im just going to answer for Sacred here.

Superman and Lois got married in 1996. That was, despite the controversy around it, a very small step from what they had been up to that point (a serious couple in a long term relationship). But they were never allowed to move beyond that; no kids, no house in the suburbs, no career advancement. Chris Kent didnt even last more than a storyline before getting shunt off to the Phantom Zone (or wherever it is they sent him until WoNK).

Once Superdad was no longer the main guy, all that changed and DC allowed him to enter a new phase in his life, precisely because he wasnt the main guy anymore.

WB is never going to allow Superman to evolve beyond the recognizable and marketable status quo. So if they both stick around, Superman is going to be stuck in that loop where he barely, if ever, gets to grow, just as Superdad was during his time.
    It's so sad.

I mean you don't NEED to be so far from the norm to be new and compelling. But you do need SOME sense of real progress. As I've come to see, Superman is the story of a man's life, and all of the trappings and progression that come with it. So you can't really tell that story to it's satisfaction if you keep him in this will he won't he style of life.

Jon, Lois, and family life is an ingenious little trick that gives Clark sense of progression as a man. Moreover Jon's growth no matter how small is then reflective of Clark's growth.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It's so sad.

I mean you don't NEED to be so far from the norm to be new and compelling. But you do need SOME sense of real progress. As I've come to see, Superman is the story of a man's life, and all of the trappings and progression that come with it. So you can't really tell that story to it's satisfaction if you keep him in this will he won't he style of life.

Jon, Lois, and family life is an ingenious little trick that gives Clark sense of progression as a man. Moreover Jon's growth no matter how small is then reflective of Clark's growth.
    Since DC has allowed Batman to have a biological son that's proven to be poapular,that may have made DC more open to more changes in regards to Superman...such as allowing him to be married with a son. One way they could approach the 2 Superman issue,is to have Pre FP Superman and his family continue to operate in Metropolis, while New 52 Superman could become more of a "cosmic adventurer " like Green Lantern/ Silver Surfer.

I get what you're saying, but this is nothing really that new in comics. One of the Supermen (Superdad) don't really even need their own book. He could show up around the line and be put into some team... like the JSA