Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Goku vs. Vegeta, with a twist:

Which one of these Saiyans is the better parent?

Vegeta

I was going to go into his whole analysis thing but I realized that im not a father myself, and im sure as heck not a saiyan so no telling what kind of social norms that might imply. So Im just going with my gut here and going with the one I mentioned already. He seems to be around more often than Goku by Chichi's own admission, and when his family is on the line you can bet Vegeta is going to go all in.
    And now I finally arrived.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Maybe it's DBZ Abridged influencing my judgement, but at least Goku acknowledged his kids and tried to do dad-stuff with them. He even put off training Gohan to fight Cell to go fishing and try to get some more father-son bonding time in. Didn't Vegita treat his kid as a huge load he had to carry around at best, and wastes of his Sayin DNA at worse?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Maybe it's DBZ Abridged influencing my judgement, nut at least Goku acknowledged his kids and tried to do dad-stuff with them. He even put off training Gohan to fight Cell to go fishing and try to get some more father-son bonding time in. Didn't Vegita treat his kid as a huge load he had to carry around at best, and wastes of his Sayin DNA at worse?
    I think that is TeamFourStars Influence lol.

Maybe it's DBZ Abridged influencing my judgement, but at least Goku acknowledged his kids and tried to do dad-stuff with them. He even put off training Gohan to fight Cell to go fishing and try to get some more father-son bonding time in. Didn't Vegita treat his kid as a huge load he had to carry around at best, and wastes of his Sayin DNA at worse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke Uchiha View Post
    I think that is TeamFourStars Influence lol.
    At the beiginning, Vegeta did not care about Bulma OR Trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra_Sonic View Post
    At the beiginning, Vegeta did not care about Bulma OR Trunks.
    I disagree, Vegeta admits that he's impressed by Future Trunks after he finds out he's his son from the future. However Vegeta is Vegeta and showing concern for someone other than himself is still alien to him at this point, especially if it doesn't seem to serve his purpose and after spending a year with his son you can see this changes completely. So it took Vegeta 1 year to realize how much he actually did like having a son even if it was one from the future. It took Goku less than 5 minutes to realize he didn't want to come back to life to be with his. Even if he felt Gohan was strong enough to protect Earth, he's still happier leaving his wife to fend herself and his son, and unbeknownst to him a second son.

Yeah Goku is the nicer person to a degree. But the after math of Namel showed Goku would not mind leaving his family to fend for themselves.

And at first Vegita used Bulma for training fear and place to crash. But after Cell it shows Vegita does love his family.

It tears me up thinking of his hug to Trunks before kanikazibg himself to try to beat Buu though it was his fault.

But the best father figure in DBZ is Piccolo. No bull.
    Last edited by The Chou Lives; 04-16-2016 at 05:57 PM.

His child at the time of the Cell Saga is a baby, and by the time the Buu Saga rolled around Vegeta cared enough about him to try to stop him from overtraining and offered to take him out to places as an apology for reflexively punching him (not to mention committing suicide in an attempt to take out Buu specifically to protect his family). Super shows that he only got better from there.

Outside of Abridged he's at worst harsh with Future Trunks, and expecting him to be a normal father to an adult he's never met before is a bit silly to begin with. And even then he basically lost his mind when Cell killed him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Yeah Goku is the nicer person to a degree. But the after math of Namel showed Goku would not mind leaving his family to fend for themselves.

And at first Vegita used Bulma for training fear and place to crash. But after Cell it shows Vegita does love his family.

It tears me up thinking of his hug to Trunks before kanikazibg himself to try to beat Buu though it was his fault.

But the best father figure in DBZ is Piccolo. No bull.
    Piccolo?

Seriously?

Whatever it is that you are smoking, I want some.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Goku adores his kids and whenever he's not dead for plot reasons or learning to control a power that had him threatening his child, spends as much time as he can with his kids, both in training and in casual settings. DBZ opened with him taking Gohan to meet his friends for non-combat reasons.

Vegetas for a lot better, but he is still really uncomfortable with showing affection, while Goku is really open about how much he loves his kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra_Sonic View Post
    Piccolo?

Seriously?

Whatever it is that you are smoking, I want some.
    He's consistently been there for Gohan from childhood to adulthood. He was constantly there whenever Gohan needed support or guidance, maintains a fair balance in attitude between harsh and affectionate when dealing with him, and has risked his life to protect him several times. By the Cell Games, it's pretty obvious that he regards Gohan as his own son. He arguably spends more time with Gohan than Goku, even paying regular visits to his and Videl's house to play with baby Pan.

So yeah, Piccolo is surprisingly a good father figure. I mean, even TFS lampshades this.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    He's consistently been there for Gohan from childhood to adulthood. He was constantly there whenever Gohan needed support or guidance, maintains a fair balance in attitude between harsh and affectionate when dealing with him, and has risked his life to protect him several times. By the Cell Games, it's pretty obvious that he regards Gohan as his own son. He arguably spends more time with Gohan than Goku, even paying regular visits to his and Videl's house to play with baby Pan.

So yeah, Piccolo is surprisingly a good father figure. I mean, even TFS lampshades this.
    it should be noted that gohan wanted to dress as piccolo during the cell games, as opposed to his father's orange gi. so that shows how much he regards him as a mentor and father figure.

but OT, vegeta. goku, as soon as he had the chance, left his family to train with king kai, leaving his son to do the work he was suppose to be doing.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    it should be noted that gohan wanted to dress as piccolo during the cell games, as opposed to his father's orange gi. so that shows how much he regards him as a mentor and father figure.

but OT, vegeta. goku, as soon as he had the chance, left his family to train with king kai, leaving his son to do the work he was suppose to be doing.
    Point: When Goku was an infinitesimal fraction of Goten's power, he was plowing entire fields with his bare hands every day as part of his basicr training.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Point: When Goku was an infinitesimal fraction of Goten's power, he was plowing entire fields with his bare hands every day as part of his basicr training.
    yeah but he wasn't a daddy by then, contrary to what some hentai doujin have to say.