View Poll Results: How will you vote?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am legally permitted to vote in the referendum: BREXIT!!!

5 8.77%
  • I am legally permitted to vote in the referendum: BRITAIN STRONGER!!!

11 19.30%
  • I cannot vote in the referendum... but I'd favour Britain leaving the EU

11 19.30%
  • I cannot vote in the referendum... but I'd favour Britain staying in the EU

30 52.63%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Brexit or Britain Stronger?

Should Britain stay in the EU or leave it?

With the inevitable poll date fast approaching in June 23rd; I wanted to see what my fellow Britons, or EU or even worldly posters thought on the issue. Personally I am very undecided. I can see pros and cons for both sides, and I really have no idea which side I'll vote for come the referendum. My "heart" tells me to stay in because I believe in unity above separation BUT... my "gut" understands that the EU will never be a united nation, and cannot work as one because each country's own self-interest/preservation and views will always trump compromise and a collective give-and-take required to make the cohesive whole work.

Thoughts? Do anyone have any strong views one way or another?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

As an outsider, I don't understand this poll. What do you mean by Brexit?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    What do you mean by Brexit?
    Brexit is slang for "British Exit"; used to describe the choice for the UK to leave the EU. It was originally coined as Grexit (when Greece was debating leaving).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 04-17-2016 at 04:50 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I'm on the fence with the issue, currently I think I'm in the stay camp because I am worried about the uncertainty that leaving the EU will bring because that is a thing whether or not the brexiteers say so or not.

Plus I'll do anything against what the smug bastard Ian Duncan Smith says is a good thing.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

All-New Member

Yes, you look at who was associated with Brexit - Duncan Smith, Johnson, Gove & Farrage - and straight away you know you don't want anything to do with that smarmy lot! And look how they've all disappeared into the woordwork, including Cameron, whose fault this all is, trying to appease his backbenchers, as soon as the mess becomes apparent!

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurferUk View Post
    Yes, you look at who was associated with Brexit - Duncan Smith, Johnson, Gove & Farrage - and straight away you know you don't want anything to do with that smarmy lot! And look how they've all disappeared into the woordwork, including Cameron, whose fault this all is, trying to appease his backbenchers, as soon as the mess becomes apparent!
    Next Prime Minister role is a poisoned chalice. Whatever May negotiates isn't going to please everyone that voted leave. I'm sure the backbenchers will be back to grumble about some new issue in the not too distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Brexit is slang for "British Exit"; used to describe the choice for the UK to leave the EU. It was originally coined as Grexit (when Greece was debating leaving).
    That makes sense. So, if France wanted to leave, it would be Frexit then. Oh, and if Finland wanted to leave, it would be Fixit. [Sorry, couldn't resit]
    Last edited by Tami; 04-17-2016 at 05:01 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

From what I understand, the EU is a mess doomed to implode in on itself, if it isn't already doing so.

Scrap the whole thing and come up with a better plan.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Britain's already half-way left because it never gave up its Pound for the Euro (for the better as I've read), so I suppose leaving the EU altogether isn't too painful a process. Plus, the UK's always set itself apart from the mainland in varying degrees throughout history, yes?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Europe's elites have told Europeans that to live among a massive influx of immigrants from the Middle East will not only improve their lives but is also the right thing to do. And they've morally condemned anyone who has thought that this might not be a good idea. But all the while, they've avoided living among the refugees.

Why is anyone surprised that this is not turning out well?

Extraordinary Member

I was up all night watching the results, feel like absolute sh!te now ;(

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Europe's elites have told Europeans that to live among a massive influx of immigrants from the Middle East will not only improve their lives but is also the right thing to do. And they've morally condemned anyone who has thought that this might not be a good idea. But all the while, they've avoided living among the refugees.

It's not just "elites" who think it's okay to live around people who are different from you -- immigrants have been traveling across borders since time immemorial and in reality, nations like America owe their strength to said immigrant diversity.

Still, I understand why you keep pushing that idea -- because it manipulates people into thinking that only those in power benefit from "diversity" and promotes an "us" vs. "them" mentality that serves your divisive agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I was up all night watching the results, feel like absolute sh!te now ;(
    I spent the night watching movies on my VR headset instead -- I kind of expected this to happen due to the current backlash against immigrants, so I'm not all that surprised by the result.

That said, I'm open to seeing the results of said action in that -- even if I don't agree with something done via the democratic process -- I always think it's best to see how it actually plays out before judging it.

Of course, the last time I felt that way was after the election of George Bush Jr., so...
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 06-24-2016 at 07:57 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post

Maybe Britain should have thought about that before following America into the Middle East or I don't know when you were cutting up the map so badly in the Middle East in the first place.

Fantastic Member

I'm nowhere up to speed on this, but from what I have picked up over the last few days is that the E.U. is kind of a cluster.

It's made up of sovereign nations who have their own elected officials and armies. Members of the European Council aren't elected and they elect a EU President. So, how is anybody accountable for stupid decision making? On the surface, it doesn't seem like a number the countries in the EU were really "all in" to begin with.

After everybody has their knee-jerk moments and realize the entire freaking world isn't going to crash and burn because of Brexit, this may be good thing long term for Europe. If Britain officially leaves (they have two years, from what I've been reading to renegotiate their terms with the EU, unless the union foregoes that or and referendums can keep happening until the decision makers get the results they wanted) then it could expose some fundamental flaws the EU and restructure it to be more democratic.

I'm dubious of narrow split votes usually interpreting them as an "i dunno" from voters (kinda like the U.S. presidential popular votes go between the "two evils") since there wasn't a handily decisive with much larger percentage margin.

When relatively sudden change happens, people clutch their wallets. The pound will recover. The markets will recover. It's okay.
    Last edited by John Aston; 06-24-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Spectacular Member The Lonely Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post

After everybody has their knee-jerk moments and realize the entire freaking world isn't going to crash and burn because of Brexit, this may be good thing long term for Europe. If Britain officially leaves (they have two years, from what I've been reading to renegotiate their terms with the EU, unless the union foregoes that or and referendums can keep happening until the decision makers get the results they wanted) then it could expose some fundamental flaws the EU and restructure it to be more democratic.

Not really, it was an in or out vote. Not a renegotiation vote. What has to happen now is Cameron's successor must invoke article 50 of the Lisbon treaty. This is effectively Britain giving a 2 year notice period. The who gets what in the divorce will be determined then.
    Going by Boris Johnsons press conference today Leave had no plans for winning and his admission that there is no rush to invoke article 50 is completely at odds with the way he ran his entire campaign.
    Mtgglf