Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Crime Genre comic recommendations?

I just read The Fix #1 by Spencer and really enjoyed it. Truly funny stuff and colorful artwork. I was wondering if you guys can recommend other crime comics like it? I've also read Criminal in the past as well as Richard Stark's Parker graphic novels.
    Last edited by Bukdiah; 04-18-2016 at 06:30 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    I just read The Fix #1 by Brubaker and really enjoyed it. Truly funny stuff and color artwork. I was wondering if you guys can recommend other crime comics like it? I've also read Criminal in the past as well as Richard Stark's Parker graphic novels.
    Hey, I liked Parker and Criminal as well and recommend Catwoman (Brubaker/Cooke/Parker type of tale), Fade Out (Brubaker/L.A. Confidential like if you like the novel or movie), Stray Bullets (Lapham) and Punisher MAX (Garth Ennis). A personal favourite is Gotham Central from Brubaker and Rucka, low on Batman but heavy on Gotham PD detectives/cops. I can't find The Fix... is it Image or Vertigo? If you like Parker (the movies/comics) you should like Bru's Catwoman which starts out drawn by Darwyn Cooke and storywise is a mix of Parker/Daredevil imo, there's even a character Cooke draws a lot like Parker. I'm a fan of Ellroy's LA Confidential (novel and movie) so getting Fade Out was a no-brainer for me. Stray Bullets is a white trash crime book for lack of better words right now, Punisher MAX was one of Marvel's best comics back then, its an uberviolent vigilante drama. There's a great genre-mix title (horror/crime/comedy) called The Goon (Powell)

On my to-get-list is Hit 1955 looks interesting but dunno if this is good.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-17-2016 at 11:04 PM.

The Fix is Nick Spencer aint it?

Otherwise yeah, id recommend all of Brubaker and Phillips work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    The Fix is Nick Spencer aint it?

Otherwise yeah, id recommend all of Brubaker and Phillips work.
    Oh damn, now I feel like a derp. Yes, it is Nick Spencer. Not too great with author names to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Hey, I liked Parker and Criminal as well and recommend Catwoman (Brubaker/Cooke/Parker type of tale), Fade Out (Brubaker/L.A. Confidential like if you like the novel or movie), Stray Bullets (Lapham) and Punisher MAX (Garth Ennis). A personal favourite is Gotham Central from Brubaker and Rucka, low on Batman but heavy on Gotham PD detectives/cops. I can't find The Fix... is it Image or Vertigo? If you like Parker (the movies/comics) you should like Bru's Catwoman which starts out drawn by Darwyn Cooke and storywise is a mix of Parker/Daredevil imo, there's even a character Cooke draws a lot like Parker. I'm a fan of Ellroy's LA Confidential (novel and movie) so getting Fade Out was a no-brainer for me. Stray Bullets is a white trash crime book for lack of better words right now, Punisher MAX was one of Marvel's best comics back then, its an uberviolent vigilante drama. There's a great genre-mix title (horror/crime/comedy) called The Goon (Powell)

On my to-get-list is Hit 1955 looks interesting but dunno if this is good.
    Aw yeah, I'm very familiar with Punisher Max and Gotham Central. Great recommendations. Also, were you referring to New 52 Catwoman? I was kinda on the fence about it, but I'll give it a go. I'll probably get anything Brubaker/Phillips related to like Dark-Flux said.

You might enjoy Blacksad. It's gorgeous work and the stories are pretty solid.

Damn, I am a sucker for anthropormophic animals. Probably why I liked Zootopia so much lol. Another one to check out.

Blacksad is great. Definitely check it out.

I just read The Fix #1 by Spencer and really enjoyed it. Truly funny stuff and colorful artwork. I was wondering if you guys can recommend other crime comics like it? I've also read Criminal in the past as well as Richard Stark's Parker graphic novels.
    Before I opened this thread, I was going to say "By The Fix #1", only that turns out to be the threads inspiration.

Read:
    STRAY BULLETS. It matches The Fix in terms of comedy along with the gritty crime angle.
    Scalped is a runner up, but it doesn't have any comedy, just full on gritty crime drama, like a more violent Breaking Bad.

Avoid 100 Bullets like the plague.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Stray Bullets, Gotham Central, Fade Out, Brubaker's Catwoman (the only Catwoman series I really enjoyed); Blacksad; Goldfish, Torso & Jinx (Bendis when he was Good! and did his own artwork, besides) Sam and Twitch (Bendis writing); Max Collins: Ms. Tree, Perdition; Frank Miller's Sin City, Batman: Year One; short series, various creators: Caper (1-6), Felon (1-4), Cross Bronx (1-4)....
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Before I opened this thread, I was going to say "By The Fix #1", only that turns out to be the threads inspiration.

Read:
    STRAY BULLETS. It matches The Fix in terms of comedy along with the gritty crime angle.
    Scalped is a runner up, but it doesn't have any comedy, just full on gritty crime drama, like a more violent Breaking Bad.

Scalped was my ****! Dash was the most bad ass character I've ever seen. It was hard to read sometimes because of how brutal the violence was at times. Great cop story though. Wow, it's been a long time since I read that.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Yeah I'll back the Blacksad recommendation - stories are great but the art in particular is sensational.

Brubaker is my favourite comic writer too, so anything by him is well worth the £££.

Aw yeah, I'm very familiar with Punisher Max and Gotham Central. Great recommendations. Also, were you referring to New 52 Catwoman? I was kinda on the fence about it, but I'll give it a go. I'll probably get anything Brubaker/Phillips related to like Dark-Flux said.
    Nooooooooo New52 Catwoman. Neverever. The circa 2000 series by Brubaker/Cooke/Stewart. Yes to Blacksad, Scalped, Batman Year One by Miller/Mazzuchelli and of course Daredevil by Brubaker (not totally crime but still great superhero noir). Oh and Superior Foes from Nick Spencer. This just became my favourite thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Why? I've only heard good things about it but Azzarello is hit or miss for me.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Why? I've only heard good things about it but Azzarello is hit or miss for me.
    Too convoluted. Too much filler. It could have been great if it was 40-50 issues instead of 100. The few good parts aren't worth slogging through the terrible ones.