Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Why? I've only heard good things about it but Azzarello is hit or miss for me.
    It's awesome. I have no idea what the other poster is talking about re. the bad parts of it. There are none. And the art is tremendous. But it's not funny, that's for sure.

Invincible Member

People have already said most of my other recommendations, so I'll add Velvet. It's espionage rather than crime but if you like Brubaker's other work, you'll probably like it. Sheriff of Babylon is pretty good. I just started The Violent but I'm still on the first issue so I don't have an opinion yet.

Names was kind of a let down. I haven't read The Kitchen

Finally got around to reading Bang! Tango from Image. The art is pretty funky at times and the story is kinda run of the mill. None of the characters is likeable either lol.

If we're opening the door to espionage, Lady Killer is a fun read. One of the world's deadliest assassins has "Mad Men-style house wife" as her cover. And she's not completely happy with either aspect of her life. Not a straight-up comedy -- it's actually pretty dark in spots -- but there's definitely humor in there.

Nooooooooo New52 Catwoman.
    Actually, for New52 Catwoman, issue #25 (written by John Layman) wasn't bad, and the run written by Genevieve Valentine (issues #35-46) with Selina as a crime boss were really interesting. The current run by Tieri isn't too bad, either (though the book will be ending next month).
    And don't forget, the Criminal 10th Anniversary Special is due out this week.

I finally have something to contribute! I read this miniseries a while ago called Who is Jake Ellis? Which is a espionage comic with a hint of mystery.

By the way, I've only read one issue of it, but what do people think of Greg Rucka's Stumptown (published by Oni Press)?

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I've read both Jake Ellis and Stumptown, and enjoyed them both...actually, still enjoying Stumptown, as it's still going on, I think. Good characters, each; Stumptown's a quieter book than many, relying a lot on the characters to carry the tale, which I enjoy.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Invincible Member

I like the writing for Stumptown but the art for the last two minis hasn't been great. I'm not going to finish the most recent one.

Did anybody see the latest Comic Shop News?

They've got

as the main feature.
    CBR has a preview for it here:

I am such a sucker for this art style. Anyone knows if it has a name?

This cover image? It's an homage to Saul Bass' movie posters done in a cut-out style.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    This cover image? It's an homage to Saul Bass' movie posters done in a cut-out style.
    Thanks for the artist name. I'm checking out his posters and they got a very distinct aesthetic. I was really referring to the interior art. I notice a lot of crime comics have the same style or look. I don't know if there's an exact name for it though?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, I've only read one issue of it, but what do people think of Greg Rucka's Stumptown (published by Oni Press)?
    I recommend it. Not the ongoing (haven't read), the first HC from a few years back. Some typical Rucka characterization (a plus for me) and a Gotham Central feel if that makes sense.

Yeah, I liked Valentine's N52 Catwoman book, have the trades, love Black Mask but it pales in comparison to Brubaker's run for me (what doesn't).

. . . Yeah, I liked Valentine's N52 Catwoman book, have the trades, love Black Mask but it pales in comparison to Brubaker's run for me (what doesn't ).
    Well, I wouldn't necessarily "pales in comparison". It's just that as good as Brubaker's run was, this was still good, but in a different way. (Especially considering what Nocenti had done to the character!)