Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Gene Luen Yang Reveals "New Super-Man's" Name

Additionally, the "Superman" scribe discussed his involved process for developing "New Super-Man's" secret identity.

Full article here.

Spectacular Member

Good grief, kind of a convoluted and long winded explanation of how he came up with the name. And how many Supermen are they going to have anyway?

TL;DR: It's not Kenji anymore, it's Kenan (pronounced Ken Ann). The reason is because Yang was concerned that Kenji sounds like a Japanese name rather than a Chinese one.

They're gonna have to rename the speculation thread, haha!

I will say that this looks pretty good actually, the art looks great and I loke the look of his red suit. I'm guessing the guy in the upper corner is the Justice League of China's Batman.

Honestly while it's not going on my pull, way to many on my list as is, but I will pick up the first issue and see where it goes.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Well Kenan's wearing a pretty slick costume. This looks pretty interesting.

I think he's exactly right that using a Japanese sounding name for a new Chinese character is a bit confusing. (A lot of people made that comment when he was first annouced)

I like the look of his suit here a lot more than in the other art we saw. Without the cape he might be confused for a member of the Flash family though...

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    the Justice League of China's Batman.
    Okay, so I haven't been doing a lot of speculation about this upcoming book, but don't most of China's super-functionaries have names like "Accomplished Perfect Physician", "Celestial Archer" and "August General-in-Iron"? Don't tell me their new JLC is going to throw that away in favor of functionaries named after American super-heroes! I'm looking forward to Kenan, but I think one is enough, you know?

August General-in-Iron is in the post-Flashpoint universe, I remember him from Justice League International waay back in 2011. I hope that he and other members of the Great Ten make appearances in New Super-Man.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Ah. I immediately assumed that he was half Japanese. That's cleared up.

5. The English version should be immediately pronounceable by American readers who haven’t studied Pinyin.
    Kenan isn’t quite as easy to pronounce (in Chinese, it’s closer to “Ken Ann” than “Key Nan”), but it’s pronounceable enough.
    Wait, what? It's pretty certain that 90% of everyone will be getting this wrong aloud.

Incredible Member

Unless it gets glorious reviews, I have no interest in this book whatsoever, but regarding the name:

A) Almost none of the pre-internet Asian characters in Western comics (which includes pretty much all the important/famous ones at the Big Two) have believable names, and don't even get me started on the astonishing disappointment Morrison's Japanese Batman and Super Young Team were in this regard a mere few years ago, so while ridiculous names are far less common among new foreign characters in the genre, let alone the medium, than they used to be, I'm still wary when it comes to Marvel and DC introducing new Asian chars. That said, him having Chinese heritage, it would've been quite the surprise to see him get it wrong (or let editorial edict get it wrong).

B) Come to think about it, it makes sense that Kenji would also be a Chinese name, but I definitely assumed he was half-Japanese since it's a very common Japanese name, but I'm pretty sure I've never come across any Chinese with that name. As for Kenan now, it's a possible in theory but improbable in practice Japanese name, so further misconceptions are indeed unlikely.

C) One little thing seems unauthentic, though. The switched name order. Unlike Japan (and I assume pre-reunification Hongkong) which got decades of a headstart in industrial development to other countries nearby, mainland China and to the best of my knowledge all other (South-)East-Asian countries proudly stick with their native order of family/clan name first, given name(s) second on the international stage.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Okay, so I haven't been doing a lot of speculation about this upcoming book, but don't most of China's super-functionaries have names like "Accomplished Perfect Physician", "Celestial Archer" and "August General-in-Iron"? Don't tell me their new JLC is going to throw that away in favor of functionaries named after American super-heroes! I'm looking forward to Kenan, but I think one is enough, you know?

August General-in-Iron is in the post-Flashpoint universe, I remember him from Justice League International waay back in 2011. I hope that he and other members of the Great Ten make appearances in New Super-Man.
    They will, they also will appear in Super League. But I think China is trying to make a better team.

Also, I think that guy will be a villain. He got menacing written in his eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Redvector View Post
    Good grief, kind of a convoluted and long winded explanation of how he came up with the name. And how many Supermen are they going to have anyway?
    You didn't have to read the explanation. A very simple one, at that.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I truly can't express enough how happy I am that Yang is putting in this level of thought and respect to this project. I myself am not of Chinese descent, but I really really appreciate the attention to detail. More than anything it alludes to an authenticity that I'll be absorbing on a subconscious level, and that only adds to my reading pleasure.

Yang was very right, without any context I would've assumed "Kenji" was some American writer mixing up Asian cultures in an almost offensive way. I can't tell you how many times I've been mad at some know-nothing writer's attempt at being "cultured" and "progressive" that only leaves them looking dumb.

My imaginary hat is off to you mr. Yang. I hope your time writing Kenan Kong is a great one.

Also.....yo, dat art tho

Last edited by Superlad93; 04-18-2016 at 03:38 PM.

Astonishing Member

A talented writer like Yang is wasted in a mainstream superhero book.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Hopefully the "creator owned" feel of this book will allow him more freedom.

Gthmbt

DC trying so hard to ruin Superman. Come up with something original and stop ruining a core character with this nonsense.