Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Shredder View Post
    I can't say that I don't have issues with Azz's run on Wonder Woman, because truth be told, I do. However, I can respect Azz for giving old and new readers a take on WW that got fans talking about her again, in addition to being, quite honestly, one of the more noteworthy runs since the New52 thing started in 2011.

Unfortunately, I disagree with you on the Supes/WW relationship. If it's decided, at some point in REBIRTH (I would assume it would have to be early on) to retcon the relationship into oblivion, I would be completely fine with that. I don't ever recall Azz addressing it during his run on WW, if at all, and as a reader of WW, I would consider Azz's run to be much more 'essential' to WW's mythology, than that of a Nu52Supes and Wonder Woman relationship.
    Azzarello did not touch upon Diana's relationship with Kal or even Steve for that matter. That issue of SECRET ORIGINS did nothing to explain how Diana gained the title of Wonder Woman. FOREVER ARGUS did a better job on that front than Azzarello ever did. Plus, he sequestered Diana from the rest of the DC Universe with the notable exception of Orion and the other New Gods. Azzarello wanted to pair Diana with Orion but was thankfully overruled on that front.

And I just disagree completely with your first paragraph. Azzarello's run in my view was a disaster and I have no respect for what he did to WONDER WOMAN for three years. With Azzarello at the helm, I couldn't recognize my favorite comic book character especially because she wasn't the focus of the title. I don't care if if he's an Eisner winner/fan favorite/whatever but to me Azzarello never "got" the character. Giving her a father, making the Amazons sperm thieves, having Diana become the God of War (Marston must be rolling in his grave especially on that one)...UGH. So much of Azzarello's run was awful that I hope Rucka undoes most if not all of Azzarello's terrible "contributions" to the Wonder Woman mythos.
    Last edited by NYCER; 04-19-2016 at 03:38 PM.