Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Why I Prefer DC to Marvel

Can you please check this out if you have the time. Article about why I prefer DC to Marvel. Still love Marvel overall of course.

DC is more serious for me. I like that. Marvel does entertain I will admit that.

I like DC's Multiverse, Fictional Cities & use of teen Sidekicks

I read Marvel stuff but only a few titles. I'm confused every time a random hero appears because I'm just not knowledgeable of their universe. It gets bad for me reading Amazing Spider Man at times lol

Incredible Member

I used to be more marvel then DC, but that's changed over the years. Marvel is totally event driven and seem very hollow.

I want to read a run of avengers that'll last more then 30 issues before relaunch....

I prefer D C Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Burrunjor View Post
    Can you please check this out if you have the time. Article about why I prefer DC to Marvel. Still love Marvel overall of course.
    We ask that you place your personal blogs in your signature and only start topics to discuss here with our user base. As such, I have removed it from your original post. Please go back and edit in your thoughts to get this discussion going.

Starting a topic to have people go read your opinion elsewhere is essentially self promotion. We value your input to the community and want you to post your thoughts on topics such as this, but it should really be done on this board and not as a post linking to another place.

That said, several members do have their personal blogs in their signature. If users like what you have to say, they will be more inclined to follow to your off board site. If you need help with this, please private message one of the mod staff and we will help you in navigating to where you can create a signature.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    I used to be more marvel then DC, but that's changed over the years. Marvel is totally event driven and seem very hollow.

I want to read a run of avengers that'll last more then 30 issues before relaunch....
    DC is EQUALLY event driven.
    Where they are doing better is keeping a title ongoing through and past the event. It has been nice to see books hit issue #50
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I will say overall both DC & Marvel have their ups and downs. But I prefer DC because well, the simple fact is they have more characters I care about. That's not to say there aren't any Marvel characters I like. I love Spider-Man (even though I haven't read a Spidey book since the scourge that is One More Day) and the X-Men (although my experience with them is more via cartoons then comics) But yea, DC just has more interesting characters to me, I prefer Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, etc over Cap,Thor, Iron Man, etc.

Also Infinite Crisis was one of the first big event comics I read/bought in full.
    Last edited by GreenLanternRanger; 04-19-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I like them both equally, myself.
    When I was a kid, my brother and I would stake claim in one or the other.
    I started with Marvel, him with DC.
    Then we switched at one point and I bought only DC and him Marvel.
    But in actuality, we both read each others' comics and grew to have favorite characters in each universe.
    DC's probably still his because of Batman and the Titans.

DC would probably be mine still, too, if they had stuff featuring the characters I liked.
    But since those are all in back-issue bins, and I can go and read those...

One thing I have noticed lately, though...
    DC's lost the illusion that the universe lives on its own.
    So much attention has been brought to hands that routinely destroy and put it back together that the actual universe has become less important.
    And more temporal as the constant shifts have made any changes lose their sense of permanency.

When something happens in DC's comics, it's so-and-so's writing.
    Stories are either dismissed are held as important based on who the creators are.

With Marvel, there's whole threads about Mr. Fantastic's decisions in Secret Wars.
    And they're seriously talking about it like soap opera fans talk about soaps.
    They talk about the characters as if they have their own will and motivations.
    Something I rarely see on the DC boards.

If Marvel put a new group of heroes together led by Doctor Strange, most of the talk would be about why Strange chose those heroes. And then people would speculate on who he could've or should've picked.
    If DC put a new group of heroes together led by Doctor Fate, most of the talk would be about why Didio or the writer chose those heroes. And then everyone would attempt to make a better team.

Aside from the talk about Marvel's sidelining the X-Men, the characters are still more important than the creators.

I think what's hurt DC the most is the constant reboots or refreshes.
    When you have so many different origin stories for the same characters it makes it hard to stay mesmerised by the tales, themselves, because you have to step out to make sense of it all.

That's what I think DC really needs right now. A sense that their universe breathes on its own and isn't just a hodgepodge of different creators' personal bias or opinions.
    They need to put the Wizard's curtain back up.
    And that's not something that can be done overnight.
    It would require them to let things go without rebooting for at least a decade to get that feeling again, I think.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    That's what I think DC really needs right now. A sense that their universe breathes on its own and isn't just a hodgepodge of different creators' personal bias or opinions.
    They need to put the Wizard's curtain back up.
    And that's not something that can be done overnight.
    It would require them to let things go without rebooting for at least a decade to get that feeling again, I think.
    I think that's a very good observation, actually. And I think Ive been feeling much the same way, but havent been able to put a finger on it like you just did. Nice.

As for the OP, I like DC more because Im more invested in the characters. Ive read both companies for a long time, but most of the time I favor DC (though right now I have more Marvel on my pull list) and Im more familiar with the characters and enjoy the bigger-than-life archetypes that make up the big DC names.

I also dislike Marvel's tendency to pit heroes against other heroes. Mainstream comics have largely become gang wars between heroes and villains, fighting over turf, more than about heroes trying to make the world a better place and villains trying to stop that. Making heroes fight each other is even worse (though it does have its place and we all love a good hero-hero smack down from time to time). DC certainly does enough of this, but compared to Marvel there's a lot more solidarity among the heroic community. I get the feeling that DC's heroes really could change the world someday.

There's something mythic about DC's roster that Marvel lacks. That really speaks to me; I always loved mythology.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Only reason I ever stray from DC sometimes is Spider-Man, besides that I am very much team DC and will defend them to death(maybe not literally) Hell, I plan on only buying DC books this summer and hope civil war 2 sells bad

BANNED

I follow characters more than anything. I also lean heavily toward heroines so I'm most likely to pull more from either DC or Marvel depending on which characters are doing more interesting things. I've been meaning to catch up with Barbara Gordon/Batgirl (I'm backed up all the way to Simone's stuff). I've always been interested in her newer issues. Truth is I'll probably just wait till I understand how rebirth will affect everything before I bother buying more of her books. I know for sure I'll be picking up Detective Comics to see what they're going to do with Cassandra Cain in July (or June, was it). So back to the main point, I just follow characters that interest me more and it's all about which manages to grab my attention.

I generally like DC more because the events are much less intrusive, it's hard to care much for a character when they get a big new status quo that gets changed after 1 story arc for a big event to result in a big new status quo to get changed after 1 story arc only for...etc. That and some of the DC characters I like the most (Batman and Grayson) have had really good runs while I absolutely hate the current writing in some of my marvel favorites (Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, at least Iron Man is okay for now). Marvel definitely has some great stuff going on now (Vision, Scarlet Witch, Moon Knight) but I feel like the more tied in the book is with the universe the more it suffers rather than gains anything.
    Last edited by Panfoot; 04-20-2016 at 04:51 AM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I've always preferred DC to Marvel.
    The only characters i like from Marvel are Fantastics Four. Never suffered Spiderman, Hulk, Thor or Captain America and less of all X-Men or Avengers.
    Sometimes I've tried reading something of Marvel but I quitted after 2 or 3 issues.
    Past, now and forever i'll be a DC guy.