Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Supergirl" Recap: Kara Says Goodbye to Season One (And Everyone Else)

"Supergirl" ends its first season as it began: wildly inconsistent, affecting, and earnest, with the Danvers girls at the center at its heart.

Full article here.

i really hope krypto is in the pod.

All-New Member

I'm really hoping they renew it. The season was in all respects a mess, but it always had its heart in the right place and it knew what it was and what it was working with. It's a case where its good qualities are much more important than the numerous (really numerous) things it does wrongly. I hope a second season will allow them to hone whatever needs to be honed and brings a better story.

If anything, if the plot is going to be about Project Cadmus and General Lane/Maxwell Lord as villains, at least they've developed the characters enough that the plots would have more weight than Non this season.

P.S. It's obviously not going to be Kypto, but I hope it's Krypto.

Oh, and I'm still laughing at the insane lengths they went to avoid showing Superman. I LOL'd every time they showed his boots over the bed.

I'll say 50/50 on Streaky/Alura in the pod

They certainly wouldn't do Comet because of the character's Krypto-bestiality overtones

All-New Member

Krypto would be the only Kryptonian I would like to see in the pod. I think we need some other villains instead of more secretly-vicious Kryptonians. Ooohh...someone also mentioned Streaky, which would be cool as well.

You know who I would love to see but will never happen? Lobo. Give me a generic villain/group of villains he's chasing for bounty, and Kara has to do something before he tears up National City. It'd be fun, it'd be visually spectacular, and it'd really ramp up the "whoa, that's COOL" factor.

I thought the season-ending two-parter was a nice wrap-up. Overall, I enjoyed the show as it seems to be a little more "grown up" than the CW's DC offerings (though I need to get back to watching The Flash, they seem to do better with it than Arrow). Hopefully, the season-ender was strong enough to warrant a renewal. I'm surprised it hasn't been renewed already.

Overall the entire series was just ok. And that's coming for a big Supergirl fan right here. The early episodes were uneven, but that's to be expected from a season 1 show. I did feel like the mid season episodes were better acting wise, but still suffered from filler-esque style episodes. The problem really for me is there is far and away too much preachy story telling in the show. It really tries to push a feminist (but in an equality sense) agenda, with many of the jokes tailored towards a female audience. And then there is the overlly nice-nice mushy emotional talk, which is fine for any show, but they just need to tone it back a little. Too much of that stuff.

The villians are ok. You have the villian of the week which is ok, and the more comic-booky the villian, the better as The Flash has already proved. (And The Flash guest episode was one of the best episodes of the series!)

Will it be renewed? I don't know. Should it be renewed? Well is it going to bring anything really new or exciting to the TV comic shows? J'onn J'onzz was one of the best parts of the show too. That was something that was new & never seen before on tv. The show needs more of that.

-Also, for the finale, Superman has some sweet boots!

Amazing Member

"More importantly, she gets an honest admission of affection and pride from Cat, who does all that even without the knowledge that Kara just saved the world."

Unless, like me, you believe Cat's known she's Supergirl all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Razikale View Post
    i really hope krypto is in the pod.
    That's exactly what I was thinking.

Sandy Hausler

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bbbourb View Post
    Krypto would be the only Kryptonian I would like to see in the pod. I think we need some other villains instead of more secretly-vicious Kryptonians. Ooohh...someone also mentioned Streaky, which would be cool as well.

You know who I would love to see but will never happen? Lobo. Give me a generic villain/group of villains he's chasing for bounty, and Kara has to do something before he tears up National City. It'd be fun, it'd be visually spectacular, and it'd really ramp up the "whoa, that's COOL" factor.

I thought the season-ending two-parter was a nice wrap-up. Overall, I enjoyed the show as it seems to be a little more "grown up" than the CW's DC offerings (though I need to get back to watching The Flash, they seem to do better with it than Arrow). Hopefully, the season-ender was strong enough to warrant a renewal. I'm surprised it hasn't been renewed already.
    They've sort of hinted that he might exist in this universe when Hank said "If HE were on Earth, we'd know it!" It wasn't a direct reference to Lobo but it was the biggest hint we've gotten so far. I think the first season was kind of clunky because I think to some degree they are still trying to find their footing. The excuses for keeping Superman out of the show are starting to look kind of ridiculous but I chalk that up to freshman year idea wrangling more than anything else. How do you keep a guy out of the show for whom the main character is based on? The special effects need work too. Again, first season so I'm willing to overlook certain things.

Quote Originally Posted by caw292 View Post
    "More importantly, she gets an honest admission of affection and pride from Cat, who does all that even without the knowledge that Kara just saved the world."

Unless, like me, you believe Cat's known she's Supergirl all along.
    I was amused that Cat knew she was mispronouncing Kara's name all along.

Oh, it wouldn't surprise me if she knew. She's pretty bright.

Sandy Hausler

Amazing Member

The show is going to keep having problems hiding Superman. They should embrace it and cast a Superman, and use him a couple of times a year. They could get a way with having Superman being too human and falling under Non's mind control, but come on, everyone breaks the mind control, except Superman is still down and out. And come on, Supergirl saves the world, and Superman can't even stop by in person to say hi, he's back on the computer to say congratulations.

I personally think the pod will contain either little Kal-el or Young Kara

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I was amused that Cat knew she was mispronouncing Kara's name all along.

Oh, it wouldn't surprise me if she knew. She's pretty bright.

Sandy Hausler
    Yeah, we're pretty convinced that Cat immediately saw through the J'onn as Supergirl thing and decided, "<Sigh> Fine, if you're that desperate to keep your 'secret,' go ahead. I'll play along."

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbwbubba View Post
    The show is going to keep having problems hiding Superman. They should embrace it and cast a Superman, and use him a couple of times a year. They could get a way with having Superman being too human and falling under Non's mind control, but come on, everyone breaks the mind control, except Superman is still down and out. And come on, Supergirl saves the world, and Superman can't even stop by in person to say hi, he's back on the computer to say congratulations.

I personally think the pod will contain either little Kal-el or Young Kara
    My concept would be that Kara only takes on her Supergirl identity after Superman disappears in space on some kind of mission so you have an overarching plot throughout the series and keep Superman out of show for a while until the legal wrangling gets worked out. They could also pull a Charlies Angels and show him standing next to her from behind or something and have him talk to her in person. That way we'd at least get to hear his voice or something. If they can show his feet and hands, no reason we can't see the back of his head or something.

Fantastic Member Supergirl's Pal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Oh, and I'm still laughing at the insane lengths they went to avoid showing Superman. I LOL'd every time they showed his boots over the bed.
    Oh, that wasn't Superman, it was SUPERBOOTS!

Overall it was a good first season that emphasized compassion over strength. As with all freshman series it needed to find its sea legs, but it did a great job establishing a foundation with its supporting cast of Alex, Cat, James, and Winn. Fingers crossed for a season 2 for I believe there is plenty more for this show to do.

So who is in the pod? My money is on Power Girl....
    Last edited by Supergirl's Pal; 04-19-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    They've sort of hinted that he might exist in this universe when Hank said "If HE were on Earth, we'd know it!" It wasn't a direct reference to Lobo but it was the biggest hint we've gotten so far. I think the first season was kind of clunky because I think to some degree they are still trying to find their footing. The excuses for keeping Superman out of the show are starting to look kind of ridiculous but I chalk that up to freshman year idea wrangling more than anything else. How do you keep a guy out of the show for whom the main character is based on? The special effects need work too. Again, first season so I'm willing to overlook certain things.

If Kara and Jonn were forced to teamup with Lobo, it would 1. be hillarious, but 2. pretty much require a darkseid level opponent to have any sort of tention (a kryptonian, a martian and a czarnian walking into a bar is kind of terrifying. ).