Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I'm excited! If you don't like shared universe super hero comics, maybe you should quit reading them. There's this AMAZING company called Image. Buy from them if you want a stand alone series that ties into nothing but itself.
    That's what Marvel's sales department wants you to think.

Lee and Kirby showed already in the 60s' that you can have a shared universe without any events or crossovers and just self-contained books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post

Lee and Kirby showed already in the 60s' that you can have a shared universe without any events or crossovers and just self-contained books.
    Gold star post.

That's cool. Except 60s comics are REALLY bad and there are a number of titles that aren't crossing over sooo, new idea, exclusively read those and don't buy anything related to the event. It's a business not a democracy. It responds to market signals and tries it's best to decide what will make the largest number of consumers happy, not just what will make event haters happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Except 60s comics are REALLY bad
    Well that's a blanket statement if I've ever seen one.

I don't see what's wrong with criticizing the over-abundance of events/event tie-ins, telling people to just go read other books isn't really any argument.

Good to know finally Hill will answer for your mistakes although not sure this is for what happened in Standoff Pleasant Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    Wouldn't you be nervious you favorite character was possibly being killed off for no real reason and maybe in way that you know shouldn't be possible? But I swear bendis one of those writers if doesn't like or know anything about character goes with whatever.
    This. WM is one of my all time fav characters, who has been constantly crapped on. So he's suddenly a "major character", so his death can fuel their event? Same goes for She-Hulk. I'm trying to reserve my judgement until it actually comes out, but it doesn't look too promising. Too bad Bendis isn't capable of making an impact in a story without killing someone...
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    Wouldn't you be nervous you favorite character was possibly being killed off for no real reason and maybe in way that you know shouldn't be possible?
    See, this is how X-Men fans feel these days.

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    See, this is how X-Men fans feel these days.
    I been saying x-men been getting shaft for years. They getting since morrison run.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch by Night View Post
    This. WM is one of my all time fav characters, who has been constantly crapped on. So he's suddenly a "major character", so his death can fuel their event? Same goes for She-Hulk. I'm trying to reserve my judgement until it actually comes out, but it doesn't look too promising. Too bad Bendis isn't capable of making an impact in a story without killing someone...
    Yup. He's probably the most notorious Marvel writer ever with the silly shock deaths
    We need better comics

BANNED

The '60s were a very different marketplace. Trying to do things they "way they used to be" might appeal to crotchety fans who resent crossovers and events but it would also be a quick way for comic companies to go broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    The '60s were a very different marketplace. Trying to do things they "way they used to be" might appeal to crotchety fans who resent crossovers and events but it would also be a quick way for comic companies to go broke.
    Well, at least this time, the event is not about trashing the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, at least this time, the event is not about trashing the X-men.
    Until Death of X right after CWII, I guess lol.

Extraordinary Member

I'll be avoiding the main series, especially because I reckon it'll be garbage. Just hoping that it doesn't affect my favourites.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Of this Crossover, I will only get the main series and the X-Men mini series, that's it. I still feel the pain in my wallet of the first CW series and Fear Itself, each having kind of 150 issues all together. Nope, that's not gonna happen again.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Well that's a blanket statement if I've ever seen one.

I don't see what's wrong with criticizing the over-abundance of events/event tie-ins, telling people to just go read other books isn't really any argument.
    Lol Yea I wasn't being 100% serious, but I'm not a fan of any not-critically acclaimed comic that came out pre-2000s. They just feel too dated. Which I know, doesn't actually make them bad.

I think crossovers can be pretty iffy. When done right, they can be really fun and cool, but yes most of the time crossovers end up being pretty "meh" due to having too many cooks over the course of a single meal. However I'm a fan of events. Big book with high stakes are fun. They're allowed to push the envelope. I would have never gotten to read Hickman's Secret Wars if it wasn't for events. Tie-ins are typically only relevant if they're related to characters you're reading so the vast majority can be skipped. However if you're like me and you buy everything cheap and read their entire comic line up then I find it really fun to see how everything interweaves and interacts. It's half the fun of super hero comics imo. The other half being good story telling. I know Bendis is iffy on event books cause he's iffy on books with big casts in general and he has a more intimate approach so things don't feel big and epic, but other than Guardians I've really enjoyed his All-New All-Different books so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. Plus Marquez art. Yum. That alone makes the event worth it.