Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Fantagraphics & Image Lead Nominees for 2016 Eisner Awards

The art comics powerhouse and the creator-owned home both took home 17 nominations with comics including "The Fade Out" & "The Eternaut"

Full article here.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'll never understand how Mike Allred gets Marvel's a best artist nomination and Ribic's work on Secret Wars gets bypassed.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-20-2016 at 07:19 AM.

So excited for Joelle Jones' nominations for Best Artist and Cover Artist and for her book with Jamie S Rich, Lady Killer!
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

So on one hand, hooray! Saga did not get nominated and Vaughan did not get nominated for Best Writer. After a thoroughly mediocre year for those two, that feels very right. Assassination Classroom got nominated for something too, so that's neat!

On the other hand, where the hell is Tom King? Last year was amazing for guy! Grayson, The Omega Men, and beginning of The Vision and Sheriff of Baghdad.... or is it because most of his work was with DC and they still some problems with DC?

And if you say, well, Vision and Sheriff of Baghdad only had like two and one issue out last issue... then why is Marjorie Liu nominated for only two issues of work compared to King? Also, G. Willow Wilson for Best Writer? Yes, Ms. Marvel is still very good... but that's like the only thing she wrote last year.

Also, no nomination for Prez, Omega Men, Descender, or Midnighter. Bitch Planet somehow got a nomination for Best New Series (even though it debuted in 2014). Bandette only had three issues last year, which gives it slightly issue above Monstress...

Man, trying to imagine the thought process for these nominees is giving me a headache. Just what the hell was going on?

It's almost like they nominated what they liked and didn't nominate what they didn't like.

Best Penciller
    Erica Henderson

LOL
    We need better comics

Spectacular Member

llllllllllll
    Last edited by Ms Lola; 10-12-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    So on one hand, hooray! Saga did not get nominated and Vaughan did not get nominated for Best Writer. After a thoroughly mediocre year for those two, that feels very right. Assassination Classroom got nominated for something too, so that's neat!

On the other hand, where the hell is Tom King? Last year was amazing for guy! Grayson, The Omega Men, and beginning of The Vision and Sheriff of Baghdad.... or is it because most of his work was with DC and they still some problems with DC?

And if you say, well, Vision and Sheriff of Baghdad only had like two and one issue out last issue... then why is Marjorie Liu nominated for only two issues of work compared to King? Also, G. Willow Wilson for Best Writer? Yes, Ms. Marvel is still very good... but that's like the only thing she wrote last year.

Also, no nomination for Prez, Omega Men, Descender, or Midnighter. Bitch Planet somehow got a nomination for Best New Series (even though it debuted in 2014). Bandette only had three issues last year, which gives it slightly issue above Monstress...

Man, trying to imagine the thought process for these nominees is giving me a headache. Just what the hell was going on?
    Well said.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Best Penciller
    Erica Henderson

LOL
    That really is mindboggling.
    That art makes eyes bleed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    Best Penciller
    Erica Henderson

LOL
    That is awesome. Many people just do not appreciate what a brilliant story teller she is.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post

Maybe it's because they publish lowbrow garbage?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post
    Maybe it's because they publish lowbrow garbage?
    What's lowbrow about Grayson, The Omega Men, Prez, and Midnighter? Also, how do you define lowbrow garbage? How do you know only DC is guilty of publishing this and not Marvel or Image?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanvaljean View Post
    That is awesome. Many people just do not appreciate what a brilliant story teller she is.
    But she doesn't draw hyper realistic superhero shit so she can't actually be good...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    But she doesn't draw hyper realistic superhero shit so she can't actually be good...
    I think there is a place for both don't you? When I see some beautiful stuff like Ribic has done over the years consistently ignored (The Depths, Loki, SW, etc.) and a cutesy little bit of fluff like Squirrel Girl gets a nom right out of the box, something seems a bit off to me.

But what I have seen with the Eisner's are they seem to dismiss the superhero stuff most of the time anyway.

BTW I am a female fan so I'm not bashing her on that basis. I just don't care for her technique. But then I've always leaned to the classical style going back to when I read (actually looked at since I wasn't exacly reading yet!) the Sunday comics with Hal Foster's Prince Valiant.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-20-2016 at 07:53 AM.

I was mostly joking. That's why I put the emoticon.

I agree. I like realistic art, too. I like Sean Phillips etc. I also like straight cartooning. I think there's a time and place for both. I don't want Ribic drawing Squirrel Girl, or vice versa. I want the art to fit the tone of the story. I don't want Hal Foster drawing Peanuts, you know? I don't want Ribic on Squirrel Girl and I don't want Erica Henderson on Hickman's run of Avengers.

You're right that the Eisners don't pay a ton of mind to superhero stuff, unless it's unconventional like the Fraction/Aja run on Hawkeye.

I'd also argue that most superhero books aren't exactly the best work being done in the entirety of the comics medium for myriad reasons, so skipping them makes sense to me from their standpoint.