Incredible Member

Default Transferring Characters to the Wonder Woman Portfolio

See above. It happens all the time, sometimes even to Wonder Woman who has seen villains pop up in other characters books. It strikes me as odd that it doesn't go the other way, that Wonder Woman books don't typically assimilate properties dropped due to a lack of an ongoing book or perhaps no support for one. Certainly I can think of characters who wouldn't be amiss as WW supporting characters, or as part of a team up or gathering under her leadership. I know that personally I'd love to see the likes of Frankenstein, the Demon Knights and the Creature Commandoes (along with dear ol' GI Robot and the Haunted Tank) under her aegis. Frankenstein and the Commandoes in particular because they all have struggles with humanity and history that I think Wonder Woman can tap into while the Demon Knights had an actual Amazon, dealt with some cool zany stuff and really don't feel out of place.

Do you guys have any lesser characters you'd like to see with Wonder Woman? Any ideas you'd like to see them do? Thoughts on my own picks?

I suppose Looker would make a good addition. Felix Faust as well.

castparksrec.jpg

Some thoughts.

BANNED

I would like to see more women, WW rarely interacts with other female heroes;
    So it is a must: batwoman, renée montoya, zatanna.

Also Orion, great character and great beefcake
    it's not like he is doing anything now, he has free time to do WW

BANNED

I'd be interested in seeing Diana lead a team of magicians/magically inclined individuals... sort of a polished version of the JLD (which was a damaged good storage). Instead of sticking to the shadows like JLD the team with Diana (perhaps mostly due to Diana herself) would be more in the spotlight. The team could be based on or near Paradise Island where it could use the Amazon Archives when information would be needed.

And yeah, actually I wouldn't mind if the team was either all or mostly female with the occasional man-person appearing:
    Wonder Woman
    Zatanna (The obvious choice given that she's already famous... think of her as Diana's first choice and Zee agrees forming the team is a good idea)
    Raven (link to 'hell' or whereever Trigon calls home today)
    Madame Xanadu (link to Arthurial lore and is a fortune teller)
    Vampire Batwoman? (Suppose you need a muggle(ish)-detective somewhere ) (Alt: GCPD's Renee Montoya)

Suggested guests:
    Orion/Bekka, links to a 4th-world story where you could get the clash between 'god-tech' and 'god-power'
    Jason Blood, links to the underworld and maybe is trying to reassemble the Demon Knights. (maybe we find out what happened to Exoristos)
    John Constantine, we need a Judas story somewhere and Phantom Stranger isn't going to play that part
    Aquaman, links to Atlantis and perhaps to Clea
    Timothy Hunter, (not sure really, Lemire's bid was kinda messy)
    Dr. Fate, imagine the kid getting a spell wrong due to the ever-so-useful Nabu and ends up on IP where the Amazons recognize the helmet... added amusement, bring his girlfriend along.

All that said, this really needs to be in a seperate book... like Aquaman and the Others.
    Last edited by Outside_85; 04-19-2016 at 10:19 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I would like to see more women, WW rarely interacts with other female heroes;
    So it is a must: batwoman, renée montoya, zatanna.

Also Orion, great character and great beefcake
    it's not like he is doing anything now, he has free time to do WW
    Orion as a supporting character was one of the better Additions to the cast along with Strife that the New 52 did. With his Nature he seems like one of the perfect characters that would benefit staying around a calming force like Diana

The amount of go-where supporting cast members Azzarello introduced was of Claremont proportions.

Lennox was a bruiser riff on Constantine, and was fridged. Siracca and Milan were grotesque, who I suppose were "villains" that Diana was able to inspire into allies. Zola/Athena was okay; Zeke/Zeus was a good plot device. The gods in general were better than the mortals by far... and the plot seemed to meander every time we were stuck in mortal planes.

In addition to the characters in the graphic above, I'd introduce Power Woman, Hawk Woman, and Zatanna as Diana's best super-friends. Karen and Diana share power levels and a competitive streak, in addition to symbol status in the superhuman community. Shayera, should she ever come back, matches Diana's discipline and martial training, but in a more aggressive manner. Zatanna and Diana share origin elements: they are both to some extent legacy heroes, trying to do right by their single parents' training.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 04-20-2016 at 06:42 AM.

I think the title needs to get its own supporting cast in order before taking on new ones. I still don't understand why Azzarello chose to create Dessa and Aleka when there were already similar amazons pre-New52 (Phillipus and Artemis).

I think guest stars should be rare, isn't that what the Justice League books are about?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I think the title needs to get its own supporting cast in order before taking on new ones. I still don't understand why Azzarello chose to create Dessa and Aleka when there were already similar amazons pre-New52 (Phillipus and Artemis).

I think guest stars should be rare, isn't that what the Justice League books are about?
    Think thats a bit of a mix of curse and blessing really since Azzarello appeared to have Aleka killed, something that might have befallen Dessa as well. That said, the revolving door of support cast members is by now a tradition in it's own way.

We wish, but for the past 5 years it's been stuck with nearly the same team and only guest appearances from outsiders.

BANNED

Jl are about the group work. WW mostly solo adventures and casual team ups with other people

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Think thats a bit of a mix of curse and blessing really since Azzarello appeared to have Aleka killed, something that might have befallen Dessa as well. That said, the revolving door of support cast members is by now a tradition in it's own way.

We wish, but for the past 5 years it's been stuck with nearly the same team and only guest appearances from outsiders.
    I think the movie (and subsequent animated series... eh? Eh?) will have a lot to do with shaping Wonder Woman's supporting cast. So hopefully in the NEXT five years, we'll have some consistency. The revolving door of characters is really detrimental to Wonder Woman in the grand scope of comics.

Mighty Member

My thoughts if were being realistic but just for the fun I'd like to see her mera and/or vixen interact. Also her and etrigan or constantine

BANNED

I think the movie (and subsequent animated series... eh? Eh?) will have a lot to do with shaping Wonder Woman's supporting cast. So hopefully in the NEXT five years, we'll have some consistency. The revolving door of characters is really detrimental to Wonder Woman in the grand scope of comics.
    That is true... because Diane Nelson decreed greater consistency between screen and page... and thats worked out... terribly, so far, with every Flash fan being annoyed at black Wally and every Green Arrow fan wanting to see Felicity thrown from a building.

Anger at Nelson aside, I do agree that the movie (at least) will do a lot to shape the support cast for the future. The trouble is DC now has the task to really marry the supports from the movie and somehow convince us that they are the same from the screen... who seem to all have been born little over a hundred years ago now.

I am not sure, but does anyone else think Azzarello might have been trying to make the Olympians Diana's support cast? Like they seem to actually be the only characters thats actually stuck with her aside Hippolyta and a lump of Amazons?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I am not sure, but does anyone else think Azzarello might have been trying to make the Olympians Diana's support cast? Like they seem to actually be the only characters thats actually stuck with her aside Hippolyta and a lump of Amazons?
    I actually enjoyed his portrayal of the gods as divine "Sopranos", and yeah, his stories felt heavily weighted toward Olympian infighting.

In retrospect, I didn't enjoy how uneven and unresolved a lot of his tangents were, but I did like Hephaestus, Eros, Hermes, Artemis. I'm not sure I'd retain those relationships. I like gods to be strange colossal events, not buddies or plot devices.

Can anyone tell me the status of the WildC.A.T. Zealot in the nu52?

Astonishing Member

Olympian mythos tangents seem pretty obvious for Wonder Woman, so like, were we to encounter Son of Vulcan and his oeuvre again, I've got to imagine it'd be in a supporting role to Wonder Woman.

Enchantress would be a good pairing with her, since the witcheroo would be a powerful damn foil for Diana's physical prowess, but June Moone specifically would be a great friend to Diana who her compassion would be overflowing for, since June can't control the switcheroo. I know Enchantress typically falls more into the JLD/Dark/Circle of Mages/Shadowpact community that Zatanna is the biggest headliner for. But she's a good match-up with Diana, too.

I've always believed that Wonder Woman should absorb like ... ALL werewolf DCU lore, because she definitely functions as a monster-hunter, because she's named for a moon goddess, and because all those W's! WonderWomanWereWolf! But it occurs to me that there's not a huge amount of DCU werewolves. Warren Griffith and Anthony Romulus, basically. A creature commando and a Professor Milo atavistic "another hairy night in Gotham" transmutation from the 70s.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com