Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    Not enemies, excpet perhaps S toney stark, what else would you call a se Sentinel builder, who visited the Sentinels being used against mutants and used it as a recruiting tool. Tracking down the escapees for the crime of escaping from a criminal internment camp camps definitely point towards him being a enemy.

It is more like the Avengers really don't give a damn, as you said they have never even bothered to speak against m govement bigotry against mutants even when it ppies to their own members. What kind of person other than a dim-witt would put Wanda on a Unity team. that like pointing Cliven Bundy to a civil rights commission. The team choices that were explained make perfect sense to appease the human community, but do nothing to show any consideration at all for the mutant community
    Well the unity team was put together by the avengers, the same team that thought that wolverine was expert in anything besides killing, that rachel would tell them hope's whereabouts, that you could kill the phoenix, or that they could kept hope away from the phoenix (at best; the alternatives of that are, keep experimenting on her until she died, or they put her in a rocket and caused world war phoenix).

If they wanted to have a nigh-omnipotent member, was squirrel girl busy or unavailable or what ?

And as long as we're talking about mutants actually doing something to better their condition, I may as well mention the story I really, really, really want to write. It would be a new District X. Some wealthy mutant would start up a community in New York, bringing in new mutants, and maybe even Inhumans and other non-humans. It would mostly be people with minor, non-offensive powers. Lots of physical mutations, but other minor abilities, too. Maybe someone who can eat anything, or who can talk to plants. Maybe a talented singer with multiple mouths allowing her to do harmony with herself. Just all sorts of little things like that. The person who started it would invite Karma to run the local library. Husk joins her, wanting to get away from the school. Maybe a couple of the students go, too. Maybe Falcon agrees to work there as a social worker. I'm thinking Crystal lives there to help with the Inhumans. Maybe some other characters.

And the book would mostly just focus on life in the community. There'd obviously be superhero stuff going on, too, but the main focus would be on exploring the more mundane discrimination the people there face. Higher levels of unemployment, unfair treatment from courts, Stop-and-Frisk-type policies, laws being passed that make it legal for businesses to discriminate against mutants. The sort of thing that real-world minorities face. It would explore the discrimination allegory in a much less fantastic manner. And by filling the community with people who really aren't a threat to anyone, it takes away most of the counterpoint that mutants all have dangerous powers, because in this case, they wouldn't.

It's a book that will never exist, because only a handful of people would read it. But man, it would be amazing. Especially if you give it to a writer who's gone through that sort of thing.
    That sounds amazing, I would definitely read that. I dunno, I think more people would read it than maybe you think at first. There's a lot of people who are into books that show world-building and the 'ordinary' lives of people in the marvel universe. And it's not like it would be disengaged from everything that's going on either - all the pro-mutant support that's been rising, the rallies and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    I like your idea, I've always been sporting the creation of a title a la Frontline: this would totally fit.
    Your other post was also remarkable, though I think that the last time a character dared say "Mutants are just people", the old boards cracked in half - so, I can't imagine what kind of reactions Cap' being the one saying it would cause.
    Mostly agreeing on the rest.
    If you mean Alex's speech, the problem there was stupid wording that came across as advocating assimilation. It came across as arguing against the existence of a wider mutant community. This wasn't helped by Wanda, a few issues later, coming even closer to denying the existence of a mutant culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Daken View Post
    That sounds amazing, I would definitely read that. I dunno, I think more people would read it than maybe you think at first. There's a lot of people who are into books that show world-building and the 'ordinary' lives of people in the marvel universe. And it's not like it would be disengaged from everything that's going on either - all the pro-mutant support that's been rising, the rallies and stuff.
    I think there'd be a few people who'd read it, but not that many. It might get, say, 15 000 readers a month, if that. Most people read superhero comics to see Wolverine Sniktbubbing people. Not to see Karma talking to a horse-looking woman who lost custody of her kids in a divorce. The fact that most of the characters I mentioned are C-list at best wouldn't help sales, either.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    What I think is the problem about the UA roster is that there are no mutants with notable physical mutations. Everyone on the team can pass, I want to see someone like Beast or Nightcrawler on the team.
    Isn't that the same problem with most x book

Quote Originally Posted by Timeismoney View Post
    Isn't that the same problem with most x book
    The purpose of this team is to foster good PR between humans and mutants. They're a walking commercial for mutant-human relations. Given that, they should have someone that represents the majority of mutantkind, most of whom have physical mutations.
    On ye olde CBR

The purpose of this team is to foster good PR between humans and mutants. They're a walking commercial for mutant-human relations. Given that, they should have someone that represents the majority of mutantkind, most of whom have physical mutations.
    Um....the X-men's entire modus operandi, from day one, has been to put a positive face on mutant kind.

The onus lies more heavily on them to promote the malformed than on the Avengers.

That the Avengers, in creating a PR squad, might opt for 'photogenic' mutants makes sense. I don't think that was Remender's intention, nor the in story reasoning for these choices, but it would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    If you mean Alex's speech, the problem there was stupid wording that came across as advocating assimilation. It came across as arguing against the existence of a wider mutant community. This wasn't helped by Wanda, a few issues later, coming even closer to denying the existence of a mutant culture.
    It wasn't arguing assimilation... it was arguing individuality. It was merely suggesting that people look at them individually rather than collectively.

But we're sort of getting off topic here.

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Um....the X-men's entire modus operandi, from day one, has been to put a positive face on mutant kind.

The onus lies more heavily on them to promote the malformed than on the Avengers.

That the Avengers, in creating a PR squad, might opt for 'photogenic' mutants makes sense. I don't think that was Remender's intention, nor the in story reasoning for these choices, but it would make sense.
    Why would the X-Men have a greater obligation to promote physically mutated mutants than the Avengers Unity Squad? The purpose of the X-Men isn't PR, it's to use their powers for the good of humanity and to protect mutantkind. Hence, they prioritize power and ability over appearance.

The PR squad's primary purpose is PR. Hence, having a member that represents the majority of mutants makes sense. Pretending that this majority doesn't exist and filling their team with WASP super models is kinda gross.
    On ye olde CBR

Why would the X-Men have a greater obligation to promote physically mutated mutants than the Avengers Unity Squad? The purpose of the X-Men isn't PR, it's to use their powers for the good of humanity and to protect mutantkind. Hence, they prioritize power and ability over appearance.

The PR squad's primary purpose is PR. Hence, having a member that represents the majority of mutants makes sense. Pretending that this majority doesn't exist and filling their team with WASP super models is kinda gross.
    No more gross than the rosters of the X-men teams. I'm sorry, but you need to remove the rafter from your own eye before pointing out the sliver in mine.

The X-men were formed, by Xavier, to serve as a public face to mutant kind. To deal with threats presented by other mutants.

That the most popular mutants aren't Glob Herman isn't Remender's (nor the Avengers) fault.

The Avengers aren't opposed to 'different' in any way. Vision, Mantis, Beast, ect... all count themselves as Avengers. Please, don't try to imply otherwise.

No more gross than the rosters of the X-men teams. I'm sorry, but you need to remove the rafter from your own eye before pointing out the sliver in mine.

The X-men were formed, by Xavier, to serve as a public face to mutant kind. To deal with threats presented by other mutants.

That the most popular mutants aren't Glob Herman isn't Remender's (nor the Avengers) fault.

The Avengers aren't opposed to 'different' in any way. Vision, Mantis, Beast, ect... all count themselves as Avengers. Please, don't try to imply otherwise.
    The only current X-Men team that doesn't have a member with visual physical mutations are Wood's X-Women. And again, the X-Men were never intended as a walking commercial. The primary purpose was always to protect people, no matter what public opinion was towards them.

I was never implying that the Avengers had any problems with "different", I don't see what would give you that idea. I'm just pointing out how dumb it is to have a Unity Team without someone that represents the majority of mutantkind, and that can't pass as human.

Characters like Beast, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Northstar and Angel are all popular mutants with physical mutations, certainly more popular than Sunfire, so a lack of characters was never a problem.
    On ye olde CBR

The only current X-Men team that doesn't have a member with visual physical mutations are Wood's X-Women. And again, the X-Men were never intended as a walking commercial. The primary purpose was always to protect people, no matter what public opinion was towards them.

I was never implying that the Avengers had any problems with "different", I don't see what would give you that idea. I'm just pointing out how dumb it is to have a Unity Team without someone that represents the majority of mutantkind, and that can't pass as human.

Characters like Beast, Nightcrawler, Gambit, Northstar and Angel are all popular mutants with physical mutations, certainly more popular than Sunfire, so a lack of characters was never a problem.
    The X-men were always meant to be a pubilc fixture, thus the matching uniforms.

I'm not opposed to a mutant with obvious mutations, but it's rather clear by now that everyone was picked for this book for thier role in the overall narrative. If Beast or Kurt had fit the needs of the story (or, been alive, hahaha), I'm sure they'd have been selected.

I think the X-books shifting thier focus away from pretty folk like Emma, Jean, Scott and Ororo might be a bigger concern for you... if you actually felt at all as strong as you're implying about this 'issue'.

Well no one is saying that the avengers have that kind of problems.

And public face ? im not sure that we are talking about the same thing.
    The professor x created the x-men to protect mutants and humans from magneto and his brotherhood, not for appearances on live morning talk tv shows.

Well i wouldnt say that the majority of the mutantkind cant pass as human, i would say that is like half or less of the mutantkind, because after all, a lot of mutations are things like glowing in the dark or super hearing.

I'm not opposed to a mutant with obvious mutations, but it's rather clear by now that everyone was picked for this book for thier role in the overall narrative. If Beast or Kurt had fit the needs of the story (or, been alive, hahaha), I'm sure they'd have been selected.

I think the X-books shifting thier focus away from pretty folk like Emma, Jean, Scott and Ororo might be a bigger concern for you... if you actually felt at all as strong as you're implying about this 'issue'.
    Then the narrative is flawed, because it isn't conforming with the stated purpose of the book and the team.

What "issue"? I couldn't care in the slightest how many freakish looking characters there are in any other books, because it's entirely irrelevant to any other book's narrative and plot to have freaky looking characters. This is the only book (that I have any knowledge of at least) where this "issue" exists.
    On ye olde CBR

So then, which is the scarlet witch role ?.

If they meant to be a public figures , then why they let Emma frost fight in her lingerie or let kitty pryde go outside dressed in those ridiculous outfits ?