Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    The Purifiers are considered terrorists by SHIELD, saying Cap' and the Avengers wouldn't consider them the same way is false imo.
    Plus, the Avengers have an history of fighting hate/supremacists group, it further reinforces this feeling.
    *A history of fighting hate/supremacist groups that don't specifically target mutants.

I'm pretty sure Cap' was opposed having a so young Bucky as a sidekick.
    When Pym objected to sending the Avengers Academy students into the line of fire during Fear Itself, Cap brought up Bucky's service in WWII, and insisted the Academy students were needed. And then Mettle ended up having to kill someone to protect bystanders and was deeply traumatized by the incident.

Of course, there's also the difference that no one in the Academy at the time was a white, straight male like Bucky, so I'm sure they didn't matter as much to Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Heh... not exactly a subtle moment. But honestly? I didn't think about it ( of course I didn't read the book, d'oh!), because as I recall it, he was on a long, long quest of brutal vengeance against any number of his former oppressors, right? As I recall it, the guy in the oven ( iceman?), was a mass-murderer who had killed his loved-ones brutally, so yeah, that's kind of what happens in those stories.

Punisher does it all the time, for instance.
    Punisher's German? But yes, he's always shoving Jewish men into ovens.

Never mind that that shouldn't have killed AoA Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Sinister Iceman was Jewish? Since when?
    Since Iceman is Jewish, and Xavier dying before forming the X-Men wouldn't change Iceman's lineage?

Quote Originally Posted by Fringe Division View Post
    Since Iceman is Jewish, and Xavier dying before forming the X-Men wouldn't change Iceman's lineage?
    Where is it ever mentioned that Iceman's Jewish?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dum_dum View Post
    You were making a good post up to this point.
    I guess you're right, if you're a person who wants to cherry pick what to believe.

I mean, in all honesty, what makes a Remender interview less believable than a Bendis interview?

The hobo piss comment? Hell, that'd make me trust him more, as I now know he's prone to human error and lashing out with his emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    "There's no minorites in UA!"

"Well what about this minority?"

"He's not minority enough!"

...is basically what it boils down to.
    I agree, and it's pathetic. "Need that token dark-skin character for true minority representation!"

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well i think its also a problem that out of 9 members; 6 are avengers, wolverine is an x-man as much as an avenger, and only 2 are xmen, in a team that is supposed to fix the things between both teams.
    I personally think the X-Men themselves need to do more to expand their rosters beyond strictly mutants. What have they done besides bring in traditionally-an-Avenger Firestar... who's a mutant anyway

BANNED

One of them having been blatantly dishonest in previous interactions with fans and the other not.
    It's still a level of paranoia to assume everything someone says is a lie because of one falsity. A level I'm not personally comfortable with, but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Game Show View Post

I personally think the X-Men themselves need to do more to expand their rosters beyond strictly mutants. What have they done besides bring in traditionally-an-Avenger Firestar... who's a mutant anyway
    why do the x-men need to bring in non-mutants?

BANNED

What you were suggesting (if one writer lied, all writers are liars) is paranoia. Assuming that since you caught someone lying to you once, they might have done it before and after is reasonable. Doesn't mean everything they say is a lie. But it's not going to be credible anymore. And that's their fault for the record.
    You're equating one lie to a lifetime of habitual lying. I can understand being wary, but outright not believing anything someone says is indeed overboard.

And if one lie = habitual liar, then you're not very far off from just not trusting anyone.

Sometimes you just got to pretend to be an adult and let stuff gooooooo. Grudge-hating is so passé.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 05-03-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Rogue Fan since the 80's Sandman813's Avatar

Rogue it seems has gotten the shaft in this book so far .Can't wait for her to return after this story ark.
    KRAKOA MUST FALL

Quote Originally Posted by Daken View Post
    The whole purpose of the X-men is peaceful co-existance between mutants and humans... so where are the humans peacefully coexisting on the team?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    I wanted someone with actual color to their skin.

Exactly why? What would have added to the story? The book concept is "human and mutant super heroes that doesn't integrate well", the whole story is about minorities and integration issues, and uses mutants as a minority. It's way more social conscious than many other super heroes books, where people of different genders and races always goes along well. I think that if there is a book that doesn't need the "diversity for the sake of it" ingredient it's Uncanny Avengers, the one book that engage in integration issues instead of just hosting a multiracial cast "just because".
    Last edited by brainwasher; 05-03-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: grammar

*A history of fighting hate/supremacist groups that don't specifically target mutants.
    Doesn't make what I said any less true, of course the Avengers would stomp the Purifiers if they had the opportunity to do so, as they would do with any other hate group.

When Pym objected to sending the Avengers Academy students into the line of fire during Fear Itself, Cap brought up Bucky's service in WWII, and insisted the Academy students were needed. And then Mettle ended up having to kill someone to protect bystanders and was deeply traumatized by the incident.

Of course, there's also the difference that no one in the Academy at the time was a white, straight male like Bucky, so I'm sure they didn't matter as much to Steve.
    Nevermind, it was Rick Jone's that Cap' opposed, my bad.
    You started well, then fell back into the usual nonsense though.

Quote Originally Posted by Daken View Post
    "We want the rest of the world to accept us, but this works one-way only" would be mighty hypocritical of them.
    Anyway, Scott might wanna start recruiting some mutants that cannot pass for humans in his ranks, right now his team is ridiculously monoform.
    "We fight for all mutants (who can pass)" is the message his roster send atm.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

"We want the rest of the world to accept us, but this works one-way only" would be mighty hypocritical of them.
    Anyway, Scott might wanna start recruiting some mutants that cannot pass for humans in his ranks, right now his team is ridiculously monoform.
    I think it would be really ridicolous if Cyclops said "Hey Magic bring me to a new mutant that doesn't look like a human, I need to enhance the diversity factor of the team otherwise I will get bad PR for my revolution", or "Sorry kid I would take you with me but I guess I will leave you to this human crowd that want to kill you, you are too human you are gonna ruin my human-like to alien-like team ratio". In his life he had teams with any sort of mutant in it, from the human-like to the totally alien, if for a period of time (that for the story equates to a couple of months after all) his team has mutants that aren't distinguishable from humans I don't see how it can be a problem or send a message. After all they are hated because mutants and not because they are ugly, it's how racism works, don't need to exist a visual difference to be intolerant (jews were white a in country of white people), racism it's an irrational way of thinking.
    Last edited by brainwasher; 05-03-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: humour

BANNED

Well, Kitty was opposed to bringing that non-human looking Inhuman to the school...

I dunno, that still just feels wrong to me. Mutants, at the moment anyway, are a minority, and one that experiences a lot of violence and discrimination. I think that they need a space that is just their own, and that bringing humans onto the x-men would shift the focus from mutants to humans too much. The x-men have traditionally fought for everyone, but they do also have a vested interest in mutant affairs obviously. I don't really want to argue about whether or not the Avengers and Captain America have done enough for the mutant cause, but I think it is very important that there is a superhero team that fights for mutants, and when necessary, puts mutant interests before humans.

This is why I think the concept of a unity squad of the Avengers is really important, because it's not invading or taking over a space in society that belongs to mutants, but its creating a new space where mutants and non-mutants can work together. Which is why the roster for it is so important, and why I guess we're all talking about it so much.

I do agree with you on the whole bit about Scott's team and visibility, but then the same can be said for the uncanny avengers. And Scott's team is at least more racially diverse and features female characters more prominently.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    I think it would be really ridicolous if Cyclops said "Hey Magic bring me to a new mutant that doesn't look like a human, I need to enhance the diversity factor of the team otherwise I will get bad PR for my revolution", or "Sorry kid I would take you with me but I guess I will leave you to this human crowd that want to kill you, you are too human you are gonna ruin my human-like to alien-like team ratio". In his life he had teams with any sort of mutant in it, from the human-like to the totally alien, if for a period of time (that for the story equates to a couple of months after all) his team has mutants that aren't distinguishable from humans I don't see how it can be a problem or send a message. After all they are hated because mutants and not because they are ugly, it's how racism works, don't need to exist a visual difference to be intolerant (jews were white a in country of white people), racism it's an irrational way of thinking.
    Yeah.
    Notice how the only mutants he or his people ever went saving could all pass for normal as well...
    I'm not saying he's a narrow-minded individual, because he's not.
    I'm saying that in-universe, his roster looks desperately monoform to any outside observer, chances are the message of "helping all mutants" really can be interpreted as "helping all mutants who can pass" by the general public - again, they aren't in the know about Cyclops being open-minded, like the readership is, or even his former allies/ teammates/ shield are.
    I'd like to see the likes of the Morlocks react to his message - not sure they'd keep a straight face though.
    Just saying.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."