Page 4 of 133 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Why? Honestly Laura is one of those characters that if you wanna make her a different ethnicity in movies, or television, I don't see anyone really arguing for, or against.
    Considering her genetics are substantially Logan's? Having her randomly be Asian or Hispanic would make no damn sense.

Incidentally, CBR is picking up the story now, too.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Considering her genetics are substantially Logan's? Having her randomly be Asian or Hispanic would make no damn sense.

Incidentally, CBR is picking up the story now, too.
    Her mutant traits are from him, but her looks come from her mother. If her mother is casted as Asian, or Latin, then it would make complete sense that a potential Laura actress looks like the actress playing the mother.

BANNED

Pinch of Salt time:

I was discussing the casting rumors with someone in the comments section of one of the reporting sites with another poster. Here's the thread:

Poster 1: "We've heard"
    Heard from where? Where's your source link? Because I gotta tell you...."we've heard"....from no one in particular....just sounds like click bait. I'll take this with a big ass grain of salt until I see otherwise.

Me: The main source seems to be a casting call put out for the film, calling for a dark-haired actress ~21 years old, and around 4'11", along with a look-alike of about 6-13.

Taken together, this suggests the two actresses may be playing the same character at different ages. The height and age would also seem to fit if they were casting for X-23 (~21 y/o can still pass for late-teens, and X is canonically 5'1"),

Poster 3: You are absolutely correct! My daughter, a national and international martial arts champion, was asked to audition for this role back in January. We turned down the opportunity due to the production time conflicting with her competition schedule. They asked for a 12-14 year old martial arts female.

Me: Sounds like this was a call for stand-ins/body doubles, probably to fill in for fight scenes.

Poster 3: I should have been more specific. It was a main speaking role, as communicated to me by the casting agent.

Me: That's odd, because the official casting call that was reported was specifying stand-ins and body doubles.

Poster 3: We were called back in early January of this year. Not for the recent casting call for stand-ins and doubles. Hopefully I'm not coming off as argumentative here, I just wanted to confirm your original post of the character being portrayed as young and older as my daughter was asked to audition of the younger role at the beginning of the year.
    Again, take that with a grain of salt, but IF it's indeed the same character, then casting began as early as January, and they're seeking younger actresses with martial arts training.

BANNED

Follow-up with the same poster:

Me: Interesting. This would at least seem to offer more evidence in favor of it being X. Obviously not conclusive, but intriguing nonetheless. And if this is the same character the stand-in/body doubles are for, it would suggest that if it is INDEED X-23 we'll be getting at least part of her backstory.

Now, if you were to tell me that your daughter is black-haired with green eyes I'd REALLY start getting excited about the possibilities, lol.

Them: I was asked not to share too many details during the phone call, but I assure you, your excitement is founded. The only other thing I can add is in the few months since January my daughter has already outgrown the role -- she was 5' 0" and now stands at 5' 5". We were told she could be no taller than 5' 1". So we're excited to see who in fact earned the role and how this X-23 is introduced. Thanks for the dialogue!
    Once again, something to approach with skepticism as it could all be a troll job, but nonetheless intriguing.

I guess you guys have been keeping up with the casting rumors for Wolverine III?

Her mutant traits are from him, but her looks come from her mother. If her mother is casted as Asian, or Latin, then it would make complete sense that a potential Laura actress looks like the actress playing the mother.
    Hardly every artist that took on Laura subscribed to the idea that Logan only passed on his mutantpower to Laura and it's just happy coincidence that she got caucasian skin and dark hair from her mother and was still fairly short due to being a teenager. Green eyes is the only thing definite that Laura didn't get from Logan, there's quite a leap from that too Latina/Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Hardly every artist that took on Laura subscribed to the idea that Logan only passed on his mutantpower to Laura and it's just happy coincidence that she got caucasian skin and dark hair from her mother and was still fairly short due to being a teenager. Green eyes is the only thing definite that Laura didn't get from Logan, there's quite a leap from that too Latina/Asian.
    Laura's resemblance to Sarah Kinney is a coincidence in genetic terms. I kind of subscribed to the theory that maybe Sarah used some of her own DNA to "fix" the broken parts of Logan's DNA sample as it would explain some things, but I recently got a chance to talk to X-23's creator, Craig Kyle, and he explained that Sarah did not do that and that Laura is "all Logan" in terms of genetic heritage. So until such a time that Marvel explicitly retcons this, Laura does not get her looks from her mother. I posted a bit more in detail about it here if anyone's interested.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I have. I dont want this threaf to be like others whih have blown up over the x23 rumors lol. I will say its do able especily with the baadguys description and it being in the future. But i dont put atok in rumors. I like confirmations more. All for aure is three roles we know. Cant wait to hear more

Regardless, if they changed Sarah and Laura's ethnicities it wouldn't be a big deal.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 04-21-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Spectacular Member Emilio Garra's Avatar

I thought the 3rd Wolverine film was to be based on the OML storyline, so what role or purpose would X-23 serve in this? I mean I know they can't adapt it correctly because of licensing issues, but still...

Regardless, if the changed Sarah and Laura's ethnicities it wouldn't be a big deal.
    It would be kind of a big deal, because if they follow the comic books Laura should have the same ethnicity as Logan, not Sarah.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Garra View Post
    I thought the 3rd Wolverine film was to be based on the OML storyline, so what role or purpose would X-23 serve in this? I mean I know they can't adapt it correctly because of licensing issues, but still...
    That was the major rumor, but Jackman made it clear that he'd only do the movie if was a script that he was wowed by. Maybe someone turned in a Target X draft and he saw things that he liked.

Quote Originally Posted by XCE View Post
    It would be kind of a big deal, because if they follow the comic books Laura should have the same ethnicity as Logan, not Sarah.
    CBMs are supposed to be like the comics? Since when?

Also, even if that is true, she's always been drawn as a smaller Sarah Kinney.

BANNED

That was the major rumor, but Jackman made it clear that he'd only do the movie if was a script that he was wowed by. Maybe someone turned in a Target X draft and he saw things that he liked.
    AFAIK them using OML for the basis was only ever a rumor, and was never confirmed at any level by those involved with the project. Also, they could easily just borrow elements from it and still make it technically true (IE the concept of a future where Logan puts up his claws for good, and one final mission requiring him to pop them one last time).

CBMs are supposed to be like the comics? Since when?
    I assume you HAVE seen the Fox bashing over how far they depart from the source material on the forums since...always?

I've also seen that most of bashing is superficial, for the most part, or its about someone's favorite character not being part of the focus.

I just find it cool that, unlike a lot of the comics, Xavier and Magneto are the focus of most of the X-Men movies