View Poll Results: Which Image comic was your favourite this week?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aloha, Hawaiian Dick #1 (of 4)

0 0%
  • Chew Demon Chicken Poyo #1

0 0%
  • Criminal 10th Anniversary Special

10 37.04%
  • Cry Havoc #4

4 14.81%
  • East of West #25

4 14.81%
  • From Under Mountains #6

1 3.70%
  • Huck #6

1 3.70%
  • Invincible #127

4 14.81%
  • Lazarus Sourcebook #1

0 0%
  • Mirror #3

0 0%
  • Savage Dragon #213

0 0%
  • Snowfall #3

0 0%
  • Switch #3

1 3.70%
  • Tokyo Ghost #6

2 7.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Tricky choice, but between Cry Havoc and Criminal, I'll ultimately give it to Criminal.

Criminal was so great. I hope they keep doing these Magazine one-shots. They're a lot of fun. Or they could just do more regular Criminal.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I voted for Velvet, even though it's due out next week. No matter. I'm still voting for Velvet.

Well...okay, okay, of those listed (heh heh) it's between Huck and Criminal, and as I haven't read either, I voted for Criminal given its long, steady record of high quality storytelling, characterization and artwork. Had Huck had as long a record it would've been a harder choice, but (as Velvet was "inadvertently left off this week's list"...oh really: just because it comes out next week--what kinda reason is that?) I find myself joining the already long list of excellent choosers choosing Criminal. Not to do so would (still) be...Criminal.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Jeez, Brubaker books steamroll these threads. I voted Tokyo Ghost, which is a major loser this week.

Fantasy-heavy week for me, with two of my current favourite books vying for the vote (Mirror and From Under Mountains). They might even be set in the same universe? Mirror was gorgeous as per usual, but From Under Mountains just has me more intrigued for some reason. Is it the "literally nobody seems to be reading this"-underdog position? Probably, but it has also had a few more issues to flesh out its world and now that things are finally clicking into place (#4 and 5 were really stalling in place, imo) I'm super excited to see where the next arc will go. Kinda feel like they could have had a more definitive ending to this storyline maybe, but good enough nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    but (as Velvet was "inadvertently left off this week's list"...oh really: just because it comes out next week--what kinda reason is that?) I find myself joining the already long list of excellent choosers choosing Criminal. Not to do so would (still) be...Criminal.
    Hahaha he'll be here all weekend folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Jeez, Brubaker books steamroll these threads. I voted Tokyo Ghost, which is a major loser this week.
    Bru steamrolled for good reason. Criminal was not only the best book of the week, but it might be the best single issue I've read all year.

But is Ghost a major loser? I mean, if you enjoyed it, that's a win to my mind.

I don't get that wrapped up in poll results. I'm more interested in why we like what we like, and maybe seeing a comment that leads me to trying something new.
    Last edited by Doughy Man!; 04-23-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Quote Originally Posted by Doughy Man! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    And how can it be a "major loser" when there are titles on the poll which still don't have a single vote yet? Aside from all the votes for Criminal, the only titles currently with more votes than Tokyo Ghost are East of West #25 and Invincible #127.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And how can it be a "major loser" when there are titles on the poll which still don't have a single vote yet?
    Well Remender books frequently sweep these threads, so yeah, 2 votes is what Trump would call "a loser".

I don't get that wrapped up in poll results. I'm more interested in why we like what we like, and maybe seeing a comment that leads me to trying something new.
    I like getting invested in the results, but any seemingly competitive comments I make between books is all in good fun. I know the point of these threads isn't to make books fight but to just give Image fans a place to discuss the books we read over the week.

Good point.

If we're talking books we didn't enjoy, let me be the first to say that East Of West was boring this month.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 04-23-2016 at 06:49 PM.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

whew.
    wow.
    okay, now I've read both books, Criminal is waaaaaay out ahead of the rest! In full agreement with Doughy Man!: "Criminal was not only the best book of the week, but it might be the best single issue I've read all year."
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Since I'm not reading EoW 25 yet... as good as the Sourcebook was, I'll vote for Tokyo Ghost, since the Sourcebook was just that.

Ranking my reads for the week....

1. Cry Havoc
    2. Tokyo Ghost
    3. East of West
    4. Switch

It will probably bea while until I get to The Lazarus Sourcebook or Demon Chicken Poyo so they were not included.

is Criminal 10th Anniversary Special a standalone? Can it be read with no prior knowledge of Criminal?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampyCA View Post
    is Criminal 10th Anniversary Special a standalone? Can it be read with no prior knowledge of Criminal?
    All the Criminal books are stand-alone.

Major disappointment with Huck - won't read any Millar books anymore, just too streamlined - started off okay but that last issue. Sorry no.
    Tokyo Ghost was a bit "WTF?" not impressed so it's Cry Havoc for me. I quite like the annotations tbh

Quote Originally Posted by seanphillips View Post
    All the Criminal books are stand-alone.
    Coming in to revel in your overwhelming victory in the thread this week? Congrats on crushing the competition this week (and pretty much every week one of those Brubaker/Phillips books drops, no other books stand a chance on your weeks).