Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Action Comics #51 Discussion

I liked the bit with "Clark" in the Daily Planet newsroom. Felt like a really warped version of old times. They've got to find a way to get the real Clark Kent back there doing his thing. After the whole Truth arc, one of the things I was looking forward was getting back the investigative reporter day job dynamic, and it looks not only will our Superman not be alive to be doing that, but that the fake Superman they're bringing in isn't taking the job either. When's the last time we've had a Clark Kent, any Clark Kent, who's also Superman, coming into work 9 to 5 at a newspaper? Rebirth is reportedly, at least to begin with, moving away from that dynamic just as the pre-Rebirth stuff was. It's like they want to ditch it, but they know they have to toss their fans a bone and tie the occasional story in somehow to the old setting and cast.

I wonder if this convict turned psuedo-Clark Kent winds up actually taking on Clark's DNA and becoming the non-Super Clark Kent of the post-Rebirth books. Maybe just the Clark Kent half of his spirit generates himself a new body. Although, really, somehow bringing the convict into it would be a decent take on the whole "It's never too late to do the right thing" Superman redemption type theme.

Wonder Woman showing up at the end at the Fortress asking why the hell hasn't Superman told her about what's happening yet is a good question.

I don't really have much comment on the Supergirl stuff. It got them from point A to point B, and set up her book. I won't be reading her book (If I'm reading any of these books after Rebirth, which is unlikely right now), but I understand why they wanted to set it up a bit here. Obviously, it's well within character for Kal-El to track her down, "rescue" her, and give her a key to the Fortress.

Actually, the future of the Fortress of Solitude is an interesting question. By all rights, it really should be Kara's. She's the last Kryptonian on earth from this universe. It's her heritage. Superman is her cousin. SuperDad is not from that Krypton, it's not from his Fortress. I understand that when you're telling a Superman tale, it makes logical sense that whomever your Superman is gets Superman's traditional home away from home, but whether it'll make storyline sense to give him a key is a different story. Locking out Superdad from stuff like that might be a good way of getting across that this is not our Superman continiously, if they want to remind readers of that to prep for (hopefully) the return of this universe's real Superman. On the other hand, if as I fear, this is a permanent change and they are going to try to quickly move past Superdad not having been there as this universe's Superman all along, you can expect him to be in the Fortress of Solitude as if he's been using it for decades pretty quickly. It'd be pretty funny if he tried to approach and it shot him down.

Incredible Member

The Supergirl power lost needs to be explained more. How on earth was she affected by Vandal's scheme when she was neither directly "poisoned" or plugged in to Vandal's machine. Anyway, there's really not that strong a bond between Kal and Kara. Other than being cousins, they haven't spent that much time together. If anything, Kara has made it a point to stay away from Kal so I find the plot/her reaction a little forced.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I liked the bit with "Clark" in the Daily Planet newsroom. Felt like a really warped version of old times. They've got to find a way to get the real Clark Kent back there doing his thing. After the whole Truth arc, one of the things I was looking forward was getting back the investigative reporter day job dynamic, and it looks not only will our Superman not be alive to be doing that, but that the fake Superman they're bringing in isn't taking the job either. When's the last time we've had a Clark Kent, any Clark Kent, who's also Superman, coming into work 9 to 5 at a newspaper? Rebirth is reportedly, at least to begin with, moving away from that dynamic just as the pre-Rebirth stuff was. It's like they want to ditch it, but they know they have to toss their fans a bone and tie the occasional story in somehow to the old setting and cast.

I wonder if this convict turned psuedo-Clark Kent winds up actually taking on Clark's DNA and becoming the non-Super Clark Kent of the post-Rebirth books. Maybe just the Clark Kent half of his spirit generates himself a new body. Although, really, somehow bringing the convict into it would be a decent take on the whole "It's never too late to do the right thing" Superman redemption type theme.

Wonder Woman showing up at the end at the Fortress asking why the hell hasn't Superman told her about what's happening yet is a good question.

I don't really have much comment on the Supergirl stuff. It got them from point A to point B, and set up her book. I won't be reading her book (If I'm reading any of these books after Rebirth, which is unlikely right now), but I understand why they wanted to set it up a bit here. Obviously, it's well within character for Kal-El to track her down, "rescue" her, and give her a key to the Fortress.

Actually, the future of the Fortress of Solitude is an interesting question. By all rights, it really should be Kara's. She's the last Kryptonian on earth from this universe. It's her heritage. Superman is her cousin. SuperDad is not from that Krypton, it's not from his Fortress. I understand that when you're telling a Superman tale, it makes logical sense that whomever your Superman is gets Superman's traditional home away from home, but whether it'll make storyline sense to give him a key is a different story. Locking out Superdad from stuff like that might be a good way of getting across that this is not our Superman continiously, if they want to remind readers of that to prep for (hopefully) the return of this universe's real Superman. On the other hand, if as I fear, this is a permanent change and they are going to try to quickly move past Superdad not having been there as this universe's Superman all along, you can expect him to be in the Fortress of Solitude as if he's been using it for decades pretty quickly. It'd be pretty funny if he tried to approach and it shot him down.
    Well Superdad has his own Fortress in the Lois and Clark book,so he may not need Nuperman's Fortress anyway.

Supergirl will likely use NuSupes' s Fortress with Nuperman has her " ghost dad" fortress AI.

Wonder Woman looked angry. I don't exactly blame her either.

BANNED

WW has to stop being a idiot and live her own life. geez this look like a 15 years old fantasy of WW

Kara shed a tear for her cousin how nice I guess.

Always Rakzo

Liked this. Thought that the connection between the two was well-depicted and Clark making a hologram for her after his death was something logical considering what his Kryptonian parents taught him.

I think the answer to this will simply be that something like this is the hardest to tell to the person you love the most. They're the first that deserve to know but the hardest to tell nonetheless, so he procrastinated, took care of other things first before it was unavoidable any longer. Diana just made it easier, heh.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-20-2016 at 01:13 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think the answer to this will simply be that something like this is the hardest to tell to the person you love the most.
    yeah, I bet this will be the excuse even if it makes zero sense

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    WW has to stop being a idiot and live her own life. geez this look like a 15 years old fantasy of WW
    Oh you mean WW needs to leave Superman (a man she loves and fought at his side all through Truth and Savage Dawn) to declare love for his friend and your shipping preference Lois. Er, that's your fantasy, the narrative if one reads, says something different. And bet even if she didn't show up and he invited her your grouse would be the same. Nothing ever really changes with your pov once it is smww.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    yeah, her not being frigid for whoever male scum is totally out of character, especialy if said male scum is superman, the worst of them all

after all he was no more than a di** for when she was bored. any other attachment is a disrespect to her character

in fact she should slaughter him on the spot for having ever come across her path with his white alpha male attitude of feminine opression

Nice to see Kara and Kal re-unite. I wonder as Kara now has the keys if she'll take Krypto. And yeah Diana looks upset. Wonder who told her. Bats, maybe?

All the signs are really pointing to Dr. Omen "Creating" Kenan.

I'm trying to find an interest in that sideplot but I'm still not feeling it much at all. And that's not just due to anger over Superman leaving, since I know he's coming back anyway there's no reason to be mad anymore, its just a general apathy toward the idea. I'm a big fan of Chinese and Japanese mythology though so maybe it'll start to grab me later.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Nice to see Kara and Kal re-unite. I wonder as Kara now has the keys if she'll take Krypto. And yeah Diana looks upset. Wonder who told her. Bats, maybe?
    Perhaps it's Lois who told Diana.

(In fact a part of me hopes it is to see a certain poster's head explode. )