Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Well Superdad has his own Fortress in the Lois and Clark book,so he may not need Nuperman's Fortress anyway.
    What's his fortress like? Where's it located? I actually used to subscribe to that book (Lois and Clark), but it was honestly (And I am not just saying this to knock Superdad) pretty forgettable. I just kind of remember it like, um, Clark and Lois raise Jon in California while Clark secretly stops monsoons and stuff and Lois writes books. Once they visited Metropolis for a brief vacation and almost ran into Jimmy Olson, that was pretty exciting. Even the intergang stuff and Henshaw didn't really do it for me. And I cancelled the subscription, so if the fortress was introduced recently, I'd have no way of knowing about it all (Don't have the most recent issue or two, probably).

I remember as I was reading the early issues going "Man, these are boring, let's get Clark interacting with the new universe versions of the his old friends from Metropolis and the Justice League.". Classic example of "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.". I'm glad I didn't say that to the editor or something, or I'd really be kicking myself. Obviously, I just meant as a side character in his own book, though, not replacing Superman as Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Wonder Woman looked angry. I don't exactly blame her either.
    Yeah, I'm not just Superman going "Well, Diana, I wanted to tell you, but the Superman/Wonder Woman comic title wasn't scheduled for an issue until this week." is going to fly as a good explanation for his girlfriend within the fictional storyline. He might have had an excuse if he had only told Batman, and gone for a better diagnosis and an evaluation of whether or not a cure was possible, saying he wanted to be able to get a handle on the situation and know what to tell Diana before he told her, but the problem is, he opened the first book of this arc with "I'm dying", told Batman he didn't want a second opinion on the diagnosis, told Batman not to look for a cure, and seemed to have plenty of time between asking Batman to look for Kara and Batman telling him he found her to try to track down Wonder Woman. And, you know, it's not as if Wonder Woman would have been a hindrance to tracking down and "rescuing" (in quotes, because in the end, it turns out no rescue was required) Supergirl- Wonder Woman is her own superhero, and she's always agreed that they both need to put the world before their relationship, she could have assisted him just like Batman (Well, more in the fighting than the computer research), and probably would have.

The only reason that makes sense as a good excuse would be if Superman and Wonder Woman are broken up. You don't really have an obligation to track down your *ex*-girlfriend to tell her about your new incurable non-contagious medical condition before you tell anyone else. Your girlfriend, you probably do. It's not like you have the ability to almost instantaneously fly anywhere in the world to have a conversation- oh wait, you do, you're Superman.

Of course, that Clark doesn't really have a good excuse for not telling her if they're still dating isn't necessarily a continuity error for the storyteller. Maybe he's just writing Clark to act like an ass or have some sort of emotional problem with telling the woman he loves that he's dying. I mean, the guy is human- er, Kryptonian. Whatever. He's not perfect. He does some of the same type of things bad romantic partners of both sexes do to each other all the time. He's got the same potential imperfections with interpersonal relationships as anyone does.

But, within the story, if I were Wonder Woman, sure, I'd be pissed. I'm a guy, so I'm not into imagining myself as Wonder Woman, but you know, if I were dating a woman who was acting like Clark...

Which reminds me, he told *Lana* before his girlfriend. That's really what's going to hurt him with Diana, I'd imagine. Like, okay, Bruce is trying to help you find your missing cousin, Kara is your cousin who you want to carry on your legacy (Interesting point there- Clark could in theory try to explicitly pass the baton to Supergirl, his flesh and blood from his own universe, and not to SuperDad. I doubt editorial will allow it in the end because of how they are handling Rebirth, but it'd be a better story. Not only could SuperDad sort of be a fake in the eyes of the Justice League and the Daily Planet Clark Kent friends, but what if he's actually usurping duties and legacies that Clark Kent explicitly tried to leave to his cousin? The Justice League and Lois and such could be really pissed.), but there's no reason he had to actually find Lana and tell her before finding Diana and telling her. I guess Diana could have been busy battling Titans or whatever she does in her books, but from her approach at the end of AC #51, I get the feeling she wasn't.

He was probably thinking of a way to tell her, but Diana probably got pissed because she heard it from someone else. That really sucks. WW is rightfully angry. Everyone should be uncomtarble next to Superdad, especially Diana and Kara.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    What's his fortress like? Where's it located? I actually used to subscribe to that book (Lois and Clark), but it was honestly (And I am not just saying this to knock Superdad) pretty forgettable. I just kind of remember it like, um, Clark and Lois raise Jon in California while Clark secretly stops monsoons and stuff and Lois writes books. Once they visited Metropolis for a brief vacation and almost ran into Jimmy Olson, that was pretty exciting. Even the intergang stuff and Henshaw didn't really do it for me. And I cancelled the subscription, so if the fortress was introduced recently, I'd have no way of knowing about it all (Don't have the most recent issue or two, probably).
    It's under a mountain. He made it himself overtime and is full of stuff he's collected over the ten yea-rish time period.

Astonishing Member

Read it. It's a readable issue with some decent art, but let's be frank, it appears even better than it actually is because the quality level of the Superman line has been really low for a very long time by now.

The whole story seems a filler to settle the new status before Rebirth and to pick up some old plot threads. And it is done nicely, but nothing more. To be fair, some lines such as "But I had every intention of helping people who needed help, even if wearing an 'S' made me a target" are REALLY cringeworthy. I had the same problem with Superman saying something like "I'm dying but I worry because I won't be able to help people when I won't be around anymore". Yeah, I get it, Tomasi really wants to make Superman appear heroic, but there is no need to do it in such a "in-your-face" way.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Yeah, I get it, Tomasi really wants to make Superman appear heroic, but there is no need to do it in such a "in-your-face" way.
    Really dehumanizes him and makes it seem more like a robot is shutting down rather than a man is dying, and trying to get his life in order before that happens. But even so, that first issue had some really great emotional beats to it that allowed me to put that out of my mind for the rest of the issue.

But man I'd just about kill to see this Superman let down the guard and breakdown in tears for a bit because his actual freakin' life is ending. I mean, even the unknowable Doctor got really emotional and regretful when he died for his 10th incarnation, and it was great.

This current issue was just alright. Nothing really happened, and I found myself far more interested in everything that didn't have to do with Superman dying or passing his job on to Supergirl in a pretty emotionless manner. I hope things pick way back up in the next installment.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-21-2016 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    It's under a mountain. He made it himself overtime and is full of stuff he's collected over the ten yea-rish time period.
    Cool. If the folks who think this universe's Superman will one day return to reclaim his place, but that this older Clark from another universe will also be sticking around in some way, it might be good to have him keep using his new mountain fortress instead of taking over new52 Clark's anyway. It'll help familiarize people with distinctions between the two, and is potentially something he could keep if he decided to help people in some other way as a different superhero, and allowed Clark to retake his rightful place as Superman in the current DC universe.

Maybe he could be west coast based, and have a public superhero identity that is a bit closer to the Superman one than the black suit was, but still makes it clear he's not Superman himself in this universe. Maybe they could have him soaring over mountains in Colorado and tall pine forests in Oregon, with the occasional Arizona desert or whatever, and not just California, and thrown in an interesting supporting cast of neighbors or friends he can have a BBQ or a chat with, and watch a baseball game.

I kind of remember Earth 2 Superman, the Earth 2 from the 70s and early 80s, which featured Golden or Silver age Superman, while Bronze Age Superman had the main books and main universe, having some regular people friends. Specifically, I'm thinking about a couple that had a porch, and who he and Lois knew. Guy had a mustache.

I don't really hate Superdad, I just don't want him in place of my Superman, and his son being such a strong story element with his own superhero stuff is very unappealing to me.

I think I do kind of remember the new fortress now that I've read your post jogging my memory. He was keeping a prisoner or two there, and I think there was some kind of a statue or fountain.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 04-21-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Really dehumanizes him and makes it seem more like a robot is shutting down rather than a man is dying, and trying to get his life in order before that happens. But even so, that first issue had some really great emotional beats to it that allowed me to put that out of my mind for the rest of the issue.

But man I'd just about kill to see this Superman let down the guard and breakdown in tears for a bit because his actual freakin' life is ending. I mean, even the unknowable Doctor got really emotional and regretful when he died for his 10th incarnation, and it was great.

This current issue was just alright. Nothing really happened, and I found myself far more interested in everything that didn't have to do with Superman dying or passing his job on to Supergirl in a pretty emotionless manner. I hope things pick way back up in the next installment.
    One of the writers on one of the new52 titles at one point was asked in a recent interview specifically how he wrote new52 Superman differently from his predecessor personality wise. He said something along the lines of this Superman is in his mind, a little angrier and a little brasher. Not dramatically so, but a little bit. He said it wasn't an editorial dictate or what everyone did, it was just something he kept in his head personally to help him write.

Maybe the way to get him to show some emotion in this arc isn't to have him break down and cry, but rather to break down and trash his apartment when he thinks hes alone. Or, since its Superman, he could fly away and go trash some epic but remote scenery somewhere.

Maybe when hes done, he sits with his head in his hands and just stares. We see the sun go down, we see it come up, we see it going past midday. Some other superhero comes by and says "Quite the mess you've made here" and they talk.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 04-21-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Honestly I don't see why he can't do both. After he's done smiling and acting like he's got it all figured out for his friends and family's sake, he could just go up into space or wherever and trash and scream, then in the end breakdown and cry because this is the end, man.

Human emotions are complex and messy, and they become even more so when a person knows they're dying.

This sort of robotic acceptance just makes a great case for the Superman isn't relatable argument.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-21-2016 at 01:34 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

He's probably doomed to people constantly citing all star as his inspiration, despite being clear that his intention was the opposite.

I had read "All-Star Superman," obviously, and loved it -- I actually didn't want to look at it again after reading it when it first came out. I didn't want to look at "Death of Superman" or any of the stuff [Dan] Jurgens had done, because all of those guys did these great stories -- these mythical stories. I wanted to make sure I didn't try to copy any of it, and at the same time I wanted to just make this my own, so I didn't look back on any of it, because it's already sort of in my DNA after I first read it.
    I'm really excited about Tomasi handling this in a unique way as the story goes on. There's definitely more coming than passing the baton to a few other heroes.

Superman almost ignored Wonder Woman in solo comics. Only in sm / ww he pays attention to her. Superman always seeks advice or help from Batman and Lois. If they are not available, he reminisces about Wonder Woman. Actions and behavior Superman confirms that he sees only as a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTornadoWoman View Post
    Superman almost ignored Wonder Woman in solo comics. Only in sm / ww he pays attention to her. Superman always seeks advice or help from Batman and Lois. If they are not available, he reminisces about Wonder Woman. Actions and behavior Superman confirms that he sees only as a friend.
    Your argument seems to confirm as someone who hasn't read the comics. Yes when Bruce and Lois not available or really not the people he needs or wants to speak to he has/had Lana and Diana and Steel and Jimmy and Perry and Cat and Kara and Shay...the JL...Smallville people, Lee, etc etc yes...Clark has people in his life. Hard as it for you to swallow one woman is not the sun in it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTornadoWoman View Post
    Lol no...Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Honestly I don't see why he can't do both. After he's done smiling and acting like he's got it all figured out for his friends and family's sake, he could just go up into space or wherever and trash and scream, then in the end breakdown and cry because this is the end, man.

Human emotions are complex and messy, and they become even more so when a person knows they're dying.

This sort of robotic acceptance just makes a great case for the Superman isn't relatable argument.
    Maybe he might? Many people often need to maintain strict control of their emotions to get a job done. They can't afford to give into weakness when they focused on the task ahead...but when the time comes and they feel they have reached their goal...they can let go. And then as a person you have to be able to feel safe and secure with someone to let go and show vulnerabiltiy...ie...he wouldn't with his little cousin I think. I don't think this is a Superman thing at all...trying to look at impending death as not what you'll lose but what legacy you leave. It's a human thing. People deal with their mortality very differently. And this is one very valid way. Keeping yourself calm and focusing while you have the strength. Not to say in the end you won't grieve in your own way. He might well have his tearful or frustrated moment in up coming issues. Then you'll prob have another reader go...oh look he's being wussy or angsty...that not Superman. This issue just wasn't the time. When he was with Lana, I got a sense of real regret even though he was strong for her.
    Last edited by hellacre; 04-21-2016 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Maybe he might? Many people often need to maintain strict control of their emotions to get a job done. They can't afford to give into weakness when they focused on the task ahead...but when the time comes and they feel they have reached their goal...they can let go.
    I don't think emotions are an inherent "weakness" for a person. I'd hope that the reason he's keep up his appearance is for the sake of his friends and family, but I think it'd be pretty odd for him to think emotions were a weakness to be suppressed down and never let out.

If what's going on is that he's trying to bury himself in his work because he thinks if he slows down for even a second it'll all REALLY hit him, THEN LET ME KNOW THAT SOMEHOW. An issue where he's forced to slow down and feel it all would be nice just so I can really get the sense that someone is actually dying, and it's not a robot shutting down.

trying to look at impending death as not what you'll lose but what legacy you leave. It's a human thing. People deal with their mortality very differently. And this is one very valid way. Keeping yourself calm and focusing while you have the strength.
    I think a lot of people show quite a bit of emotion when they're told to their face they are going to die. I think that's pretty human. I think you think about legacy AFTER you go like "I'M DYING" a few hundred times.

Then you'll prob have another reader go...oh look he's being wussy or angsty...that not Superman. This issue just wasn't the time. When he was with Lana, I got a sense of real regret even though he was strong for her.
    @$!# that reader. Tell him or here to go watch a 90s action movie or read one of that eras comics to get their brand of hero.

I didn't say this issue had to be the time. I'm just hoping I see some actual emotion beyond "THE PEOPLE" from Clark. And the Kara part could've had more heart to it. I found it to be pretty boring. The Lana scene was really touching, and is on of the things that made me sorta forget that awkward-ass opening. But it felt more like he was keeping it together for her. I want Clark to cry, get sad, or lament FOR HIM. I mean come on dude you're freaking dying at 27!! That sucks balls!!

Astonishing Member

Bruce Wayne looked the Omega Effect in the face and smirked, never saw anyone step forward and call him unrelatable because of it. Again, Clark's probably seen and done things Bruce couldn't imagine, his understanding of life and death is probably something far different than Bruce who has to view it from the same perspective as me and you.

Granted two of Bruce's kids have come back from the dead.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory