Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Superman could look into the sky and just say "I'm dying". Just a panel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RedTornadoWoman View Post
    Superman almost ignored Wonder Woman in solo comics. Only in sm / ww he pays attention to her. Superman always seeks advice or help from Batman and Lois. If they are not available, he reminisces about Wonder Woman. Actions and behavior Superman confirms that he sees only as a friend.
    it is pretty obvious that WW is not his priority

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I don't think emotions are an inherent "weakness" for a person. I'd hope that the reason he's keep up his appearance is for the sake of his friends and family, but I think it'd be pretty odd for him to think emotions were a weakness to be suppressed down and never let out.

If what's going on is that he's trying to bury himself in his work because he thinks if he slows down for even a second it'll all REALLY hit him, THEN LET ME KNOW THAT SOMEHOW. An issue where he's forced to slow down and feel it all would be nice just so I can really get the sense that someone is actually dying, and it's not a robot shutting down.

I think a lot of people show quite a bit of emotion when they're told to their face they are going to die. I think that's pretty human. I think you think about legacy AFTER you go like "I'M DYING" a few hundred times.

@$!# that reader. Tell him or here to go watch a 90s action movie or read one of that eras comics to get their brand of hero.

I didn't say this issue had to be the time. I'm just hoping I see some actual emotion beyond "THE PEOPLE" from Clark. And the Kara part could've had more heart to it. I found it to be pretty boring. The Lana scene was really touching, and is on of the things that made me sorta forget that awkward-ass opening. But it felt more like he was keeping it together for her. I want Clark to cry, get sad, or lament FOR HIM. I mean come on dude you're freaking dying at 27!! That sucks balls!!
    show emotions means that you alive. we have on our culture that men can't show emotions besides being angry, I love that on first superman movie superman cries.

I think it is easy to see someone that knows that he will die a moment to cry or to be really sad. like u said a moment alone facing his sad fate.
    Last edited by Tayswift; 04-21-2016 at 01:02 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Bruce Wayne looked the Omega Effect in the face and smirked, never saw anyone step forward and call him unrelatable because of it. Again, Clark's probably seen and done things Bruce couldn't imagine, his understanding of life and death is probably something far different than Bruce who has to view it from the same perspective as me and you.

Who the hell cares about what Bruce would do? Why is "B--But Batman wouldn't...." the go to for SUPERMAN fans? Batman's whole concept is inherently more juvenile and cathartic than Superman's so when he does things like stare death in the face and smile it's less glaringly inhuman. Batman doesn't have powers so part of the fun of him is trying your best to make him larger than life while whispering "oh yeah he's still human don't worry".

Astonishing Member

Who the hell cares about what Bruce would do? Why is "B--But Batman wouldn't...." the go to for SUPERMAN fans? Batman's whole concept is inherently more juvenile and cathartic than Superman's so when he does things like stare death in the face and smile it's less glaringly inhuman. Batman doesn't have powers so part of the fun of him is trying your best to make him larger than life while whispering "oh yeah he's still human don't worry".
    Really you're saying this about Superman, a character who's first issue is him beating down some gangsters who threatened his love interest? The cover of which is him smashing their car into a cliff?

Batman's writers and fanbase understand the simple concept that people want to watch Superheroes overcome amazing odds and face these sorts of circumstance with bravado. Superheroes were created with the desire to entertain, them being relatable or not is irrelevant. When the Superman writers became obsessed with his humanity or relatability is when he took the wrong path in life. A close of him crying is no different than the scene Myskin was talking about, over the top and in your face.

Funny thing is I always felt like that's what Snyder has been trying to do in his universe was make Superman less larger than life and people have all but rejected it.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Really you're saying this about Superman, a character who's first issue is him beating down some gangsters who threatened his love interest? The cover of which is him smashing their car into a cliff?
    Yup I'm saying the billionaire playboy with literally no responsibilities and no one to answer to is a more cathartic. I'm saying the character who's whole deal is to break all of the physical and mental limits of being a human is simpler to grasp as a human thus inherently easier to become excited about. Yes I'm also saying the motivation of direct loss and vengeance are easier ideas to grasp and get excited about. The more inhuman Bruce acts, the more he is rewarded for it. Superman is the opposite. You have to find a more deliberate balance.

Batman's writers and fanbase understand the simple concept that people want to watch Superheroes overcome amazing odds and face these sorts of circumstance with bravado.
    That's a dumbed down version. when you get into the specifics of your characters this point becomes less applicable. Take Spider-man, his bravado is an act. When he overcomes odds it's usually emotional and reviling than what your simple template has outlined. If Spider-man just beat people up and left with a smile we wouldn't be talking about how popular he is today.

Superheroes were created with the desire to entertain, them being relatable or not is irrelevant.
    MARVEL COMICS beats out DC because of the relatable heroes and it's irrelevant?

When the Superman writers became obsessed with his humanity or relatability is when he took the wrong path in life.
    I guess All Star Superman, Superman: Secret Identity, American Alien, and literally all of the Sliver age just don't count as Superman. I don't understand how humanity and relatability somehow negate a characters.

Funny thing is I always felt like that's what Snyder has been trying to do in his universe was make Superman less larger than life and people have all but rejected it.
    Snyder has created a character. He created a set up for a character in one movie, and then a plot device in a red cape that had a grand total of 42 lines in the second movie. It's rejected because it's a bad product.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-21-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Yup I'm saying the billionaire playboy with literally no responsibilities and no one to answer to is a more cathartic. I'm saying the character who's whole deal is to break all of the physical and mental limits of being a human is simpler to grasp as a human thus inherently easier to become excited about. Yes I'm also saying the motivation of direct loss and vengeance are easier ideas to grasp and get excited about. The more inhuman Bruce acts, the more he is rewarded for it. Superman is the opposite. You have to find a more deliberate balance.

That's a dumbed down version. when you get into the specifics of your characters this point becomes less applicable. Take Spider-man, his bravado is an act. When he overcomes odds it's usually emotional and reviling than what your simple template has outlined. If Spider-man just beat people up and left with a smile we wouldn't be talking about how popular he is today.

MARVEL COMICS beats out DC because of the relatable heroes and it's irrelevant?

I guess All Star Superman, Superman: Secret Identity, American Alien, and literally all of the Sliver age just don't count as Superman. I don't understand how humanity and relatability somehow negate a characters.

Snyder has created a character. He created a set up for a character in one movie, and then a plot device in a red cape that had a grand total of 42 lines in the second movie. It's rejected because it's a bad product.
    You're losing me here, one minute you're telling me I can't compare Batman and Superman because they're to different conceptually and the next you're saying it works for Spiderman therefore it works for Superman? Beyond that there's nothing cathartic about being a billionaire playboy, it's just fantasy fodder.

Also if Superman was deemed undesirable for behaving "inhuman" he would have been DOA back in the 30's when he was running around imposing his will on people without a care in the world.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

You're losing me here, one minute you're telling me I can't compare Batman and Superman because they're to different conceptually and the next you're saying it works for Spiderman therefore it works for Superman?
    Lol no I'm not. I'm saying you can't put all heroes under the same umbrella. No where do I say what works for Spider-man works for Superman. I only bring up Spider-man to prove that "the simple concept that people want to watch Superheroes overcome amazing odds and face these sorts of circumstance with bravado" is not applicable as a blanket statement when you actually take to seconds and think how different each hero works.

Is Hulk the same sort of hero as Batman or Iron man? No? Then you're statement is false, and, rounding things back to the whole point of this, Superman DOSE NOT have to smile in the face of basically dying from cancer because he's NOT the same sort of hero as Batman. This is my point.

Beyond that there's nothing cathartic about being a billionaire playboy, it's just fantasy fodder.
    Are you saying there's nothing cathartic ("providing psychological relief through the open expression of strong emotions") about being vengeance seeking billionaire who answers to no one and can do just about anything, yet he's still deemed human thus "attainable". There's NOTHING cathartic about that? He's a power fantasy about overcoming weakness and seeking vengeance turned up to 11, yet still about a human. He's inherently more cathartic.

Also if Superman was deemed undesirable for behaving "inhuman" he would have been DOA back in the 30's when he was running around imposing his will on people without a care in the world.
    Yes compare the far less complex 1930s comics to now. I suppose we should go back to war propaganda style "slap a jap" since well if it work in the 30s, right? Obviously the standard and expectation for comics has changed in nearly 80 years.