Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default DC Superhero Girls

Didn't see a thread on this - sorry if there is one.

Chanced across it by accident. It's very strange. Just a few minutes, most of which is commercials. The premise is a boarding high school with superkid versions of DC heroes who vary wildly in age in the comics.

So you get a minute or two of high school hijinks and pranks. One of the weird things is the inclusion of some really psychotic killers as high school kids having fun with the hero types. Hard to separate that out. A prankster Harley or Poison Ivy fooling with a weird kid Wonder Woman?

Thoughts? I really don't like it.

There were threads about the overall DC Superhero Girls initiative (the toys, books, website, etc.) last year when it was originally announced.

http://community.comicbookresources....uot-Initiative

All-New Member

it's for kids Captain Smith, you don't need to like it or read it - it's not for your age, just as Vertigo titles aren't for kids

Astonishing Member

You are so insightful. Don't watch something - but here's news for you. This is an Internet forum to discuss and review DC products. Thus, one can do that. If you don't want to engage in such, please don't read the forum.

Even though it is a product for kids - one might argue that comics are for kids or grown-ups fixated in a childish stage of literary development. Thus, that's a nonissue.

As a critique - I was pointing out that as a fit in the overall DC experience, it didn't make much sense except to sell toys. Mommy, I have a HQ dolly but in brother Billy's comic book she does very bad things. I'm so confused, Mommy!

They could leave out the psychos, IMHO. But please don't read this.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    You are so insightful. Don't watch something - but here's news for you. This is an Internet forum to discuss and review DC products. Thus, one can do that. If you don't want to engage in such, please don't read the forum.

Even though it is a product for kids - one might argue that comics are for kids or grown-ups fixated in a childish stage of literary development. Thus, that's a nonissue.

As a critique - I was pointing out that as a fit in the overall DC experience, it didn't make much sense except to sell toys. Mommy, I have a HQ dolly but in brother Billy's comic book she does very bad things. I'm so confused, Mommy!

apologies i didn't mean to cause offence.

the way i see the show is that its taken certain characters and made them into a totally separate universe for young girls (like 4 and up), maybe as a starting point to joining the main DC universe when they're older. I've been following it with interest to buy for my daughter.

It's not for adults or anyone over 8 from what i've seen/read

Astonishing Member

I've seen the webtoons a few times. The show is cute, sunny and does not rely overly on physical violence. It's basically a superhero version of Monster High or Ever After High (which, honestly, we should have seen was coming at some point). It doesn't seem to be causing any harm and is definitely more good than bad, providing girls with a starting point with superheroes. On the logic of including characters like Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and the Cheetah, I think the idea is that their villainous turns are sometime in the future. They're not super-villains yet, they're just high-schoolers. They have powers or special skills which is why they go to Superhero High with every other character that has powers or special skills but there probably isn't a Supervillain High. So, super-villains are probably just would-be heroes who make the heel-turn as adults.

Also, it's the first time I've ever seen action figures shelved next to fashion dolls in the toy section of Target, which is pretty cool.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I've seen the webtoons a few times. The show is cute, sunny and does not rely overly on physical violence. It's basically a superhero version of Monster High or Ever After High (which, honestly, we should have seen was coming at some point). It doesn't seem to be causing any harm and is definitely more good than bad, providing girls with a starting point with superheroes. On the logic of including characters like Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy and the Cheetah, I think the idea is that their villainous turns are sometime in the future. They're not super-villains yet, they're just high-schoolers. They have powers or special skills which is why they go to Superhero High with every other character that has powers or special skills but there probably isn't a Supervillain High. So, super-villains are probably just would-be heroes who make the heel-turn as adults.

Also, it's the first time I've ever seen action figures shelved next to fashion dolls in the toy section of Target, which is pretty cool.
    Finally, someone with a bit of sense

BANNED

I wasn't in love with the idea at first but looking at the products on the shelf I have to admit that I'm won over. I bought a Bumblebee doll for my daughter today. The problem is that she knows the Teen Titans but she's not a fan so I basically had to buy it for myself under the cover that it was for her. ^^;

Last edited by Rogue Star; 04-04-2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: won not win

Superhero Girls is one of the best things DC has done in years. Perhaps decades.

Little girls have damned few entertainment options with a message of confidence, self esteem, and personal power. Most stuff aimed at little girls is about princesses who are either bossy, need to be rescued, or both. Most of the stuff that isnt "damsels in distress" is pushing a "mean girls" attitude or focused on popularity, makeup, clothes, and being "cute" which more often than not seems interchangeable with "slutty" Like those Brats dolls. Damned inappropriate for little girls.

There's very little out there advocating the kind of traits that lead little girls to grow into fully formed, accountable and self-actualized women. That stuff is left entirely up to the parents, while the culture of marketing and toys forces a vastly sexist view of womanhood.

So good for DC, making these web cartoons that give girls something positive to aspire to. They've made my job as a parent slightly easier.

And my two year old daughter adores it. Its her favorite thing; she'll watch those episodes for hours on end (all of them together amounts to about a half hour of actual content and she'll just loop it again and again as kids do). She knows the words to the song, and while that plays the cartoon flashes each character across the screen. She'll yell out all their names as they go by, and then add her own name at the end. In her little mind, she's just as much a superhero as those characters are, and I hope she never outgrows that.

The first time she saw the thing, she was wearing her Robin t-shirt, which has a cape attached. She comes running over to me yelling about how they were like her. They made her feel like she was a part of something more than just our family. It damn near made me cry.

Now, you can talk about how the presence of Cheetah, Catwoman, and Killer Frost are bad examples for kids. But if you were to talk about such things then I would be forced to conclude that you dont actually know what you're talking about. Those kids are the "mean girls" and they typically get whats coming to them, which is to say, a trip to the principal's office, humiliation, and detention. The cartoon is very low violence and focuses on helping people, and being the best version of you possible. All positive things.

As for Harley and Ivy.....DC has been moving Harley into the realm of the anti-hero for years, and Ivy's not that far behind her. And really, Harley's story is a great one. She struggled with an abusive relationship, and although it was hard she's moved on and is trying to be a better person. Characters like Wonder Woman and Supergirl rarely make big mistakes; Harley has, and she endures. That's a smart message, especially with the very real problem of domestic violence in this country.

More little girls should be exposed to this show and the values it promotes.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post

If Sailor Moon, Battle of the Planets, GI Joe and other cartoons can have nutjobs in them-this can too.

If we are going to be concerned about nutjobs being toys for kids-Deadpool, Deathstroke, Dr. Light and others need to be removed from shelves.

Spectacular Member

Yeah I kind of think it's a matter of being careful about what you're letting your kids consume? The Superhero Girls show is a great introduction for little girls to the DC experience but I wouldn't introduce them to a Harley Quinn comic immediately, or even a Wonder Woman or Supergirl comic either. There are younger titles specfically for kids.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Superhero Girls is one of the best things DC has done in years. Perhaps decades.

Little girls have damned few entertainment options with a message of confidence, self esteem, and personal power. Most stuff aimed at little girls is about princesses who are either bossy, need to be rescued, or both. Most of the stuff that isnt "damsels in distress" is pushing a "mean girls" attitude or focused on popularity, makeup, clothes, and being "cute" which more often than not seems interchangeable with "slutty" Like those Brats dolls. Damned inappropriate for little girls.

There's very little out there advocating the kind of traits that lead little girls to grow into fully formed, accountable and self-actualized women. That stuff is left entirely up to the parents, while the culture of marketing and toys forces a vastly sexist view of womanhood.

So good for DC, making these web cartoons that give girls something positive to aspire to. They've made my job as a parent slightly easier.

And my two year old daughter adores it. Its her favorite thing; she'll watch those episodes for hours on end (all of them together amounts to about a half hour of actual content and she'll just loop it again and again as kids do). She knows the words to the song, and while that plays the cartoon flashes each character across the screen. She'll yell out all their names as they go by, and then add her own name at the end. In her little mind, she's just as much a superhero as those characters are, and I hope she never outgrows that.

The first time she saw the thing, she was wearing her Robin t-shirt, which has a cape attached. She comes running over to me yelling about how they were like her. They made her feel like she was a part of something more than just our family. It damn near made me cry.

Now, you can talk about how the presence of Cheetah, Catwoman, and Killer Frost are bad examples for kids. But if you were to talk about such things then I would be forced to conclude that you dont actually know what you're talking about. Those kids are the "mean girls" and they typically get whats coming to them, which is to say, a trip to the principal's office, humiliation, and detention. The cartoon is very low violence and focuses on helping people, and being the best version of you possible. All positive things.

As for Harley and Ivy.....DC has been moving Harley into the realm of the anti-hero for years, and Ivy's not that far behind her. And really, Harley's story is a great one. She struggled with an abusive relationship, and although it was hard she's moved on and is trying to be a better person. Characters like Wonder Woman and Supergirl rarely make big mistakes; Harley has, and she endures. That's a smart message, especially with the very real problem of domestic violence in this country.

More little girls should be exposed to this show and the values it promotes.
    I like this story. If nothing else, it demonstrates how important positive representation is.

Anyone else watch that special on Boomerang a couple weeks ago? Thought that was pretty good.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I watched the special on Boomerang. It was cute. Not something I would watch again though , but I'm not the intended audience.

Overall still glad this exists. Good way to introduce young girls and kids in general to DC Comics characters.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    I watched the special on Boomerang. It was cute. Not something I would watch again though , but I'm not the intended audience.

Overall still glad this exists. Good way to introduce young girls and kids in general to DC Comics characters.
    This I'm glad it exists.