Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Lemire's run on X-men, what do you think so far? Replace him?

OK so 9 issues in, how do you feel about Lemire's run so far? What are the positives or negatives? Is it too early to judge? Is it time to replace him? Who do you want on the book?

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I dont know if its his fault or editorial but for the LOVE OF GOD stop hating on mutants every. single. issue. Throughout the issue. Just stop doing that. I don't read Inhumans book for a reason. I dont read Avengers books for a reason. I dont give a damn about those characters. I care about mutants and X-characters. If I buy an X-book I want it to focus POSITIVELY on X-characters and mutants at large NOT negatively. This is not hard to understand for anybody so I have to believe it's editoral doing it on purpose just to piss us off. So I can't probably blame Lemire. I want Claremont back but I know people will totally disagree with me so whatever. Bunn is doing awesome with UXM maybe give EXM to him too? Like how Bendis did both UXM and ANXM? I dont know if Bendis did as much with having control of two books as he could have (Bendis did waaaay too many projects at the same time and was a total scatter brain) but I think Bunn could possibly. Otherwise I dont really have ideas, maybe bring back Gillen? Or hell bring back Spurrier or Peter David but I dont know if I want either of those for EXM. Just bring them back though please and give them some kind of X-book thanks
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I don't read Inhumans book for a reason. I dont read Avengers books for a reason. I dont give a damn about those characters. I care about mutants and X-characters.
    That is the #1 reason I hope the mutants get their own planet, universe, or whatever (stocked with flat-scans, of course!)...

I'd say it's still too early to say. The verdict on his run won't be clear until he finally gets around to explaining what happened with Cyclops, the mutant/Inhuman war, and the complete regression of the X-men's cause after the events of Uncanny X-men 600. If Lemire can make that story work in a believable way, then I think that makes his run work. If he botches it in a way that feels contrived, forced, and completely irrational, then he'll start inching towards Chuck Austin territory because this era of X-men comics is so muddled by the Inhumans push that it's already a major low point. And Lemire's failure to make the events of the 8-month gap feel palatable would only dig a deeper hole for the books to get out of. If that happens, another relaunch might be necessary. And it might take someone on the level of a Jason Aaron, Kieron Gillen, or Charles Soule to fix it. But I don't see Marvel putting those kinds of resources into X-men, regardless of how Lemire's run pans out.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

There's some positive there, but I wouldn't miss him if he was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    There's some positive there, but I wouldn't miss him if he was gone.
    Pretty much. From what I've seen, it's not a complete trainwreck and there are decent character moments scattered here and there, but there's so little to be enthusiastic about. There's no real sense of accomplishment in anything the team does, nothing seems to fit together all that well, the big reveal is being teased out in ways that would have gotten points docked in 200-level CW classes, and nothing about the book seems that urgent as per UXM, just depressing. I think a writer more comfortable with team books could do wonders with the same cast and situation.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I'd say it's still too early to say. The verdict on his run won't be clear until he finally gets around to explaining what happened with Cyclops, the mutant/Inhuman war, and the complete regression of the X-men's cause after the events of Uncanny X-men 600. If Lemire can make that story work in a believable way, then I think that makes his run work. If he botches it in a way that feels contrived, forced, and completely irrational, then he'll start inching towards Chuck Austin territory because this era of X-men comics is so muddled by the Inhumans push that it's already a major low point. And Lemire's failure to make the events of the 8-month gap feel palatable would only dig a deeper hole for the books to get out of. If that happens, another relaunch might be necessary. And it might take someone on the level of a Jason Aaron, Kieron Gillen, or Charles Soule to fix it. But I don't see Marvel putting those kinds of resources into X-men, regardless of how Lemire's run pans out.
    This is kinda like how I feel, but I'm still excited by this book yet. It's good, but not where I would want it to be if this is THE X-MEN book. I agree with some of the other comments that he isn't as strong on team books, but I feel like the element that is going to make or further break his run hinges upon the reveal of what happened during the 8 month gap. And even then I don't feel like we can hold him fully responsible for that untold story as it's being editorially mandated. What I can hold him responsible for is a lack of drive in the stories he's telling. If things are as bad as we're being told, why did Storm wait 8 months to officially find mutants? I would expect her, or any number of the senior X-Men to throw caution to the wind of the new anti-mutant sentiment and be like, "Hey there's some killer clouds and if you're a mutant we're going to help". Alas, we're stuck with what looks and feels like a nostalgic line-up, but falls flat and lacks an energy to propel the stories along.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    This is kinda like how I feel, but I'm still excited by this book yet. It's good, but not where I would want it to be if this is THE X-MEN book. I agree with some of the other comments that he isn't as strong on team books, but I feel like the element that is going to make or further break his run hinges upon the reveal of what happened during the 8 month gap. And even then I don't feel like we can hold him fully responsible for that untold story as it's being editorially mandated. What I can hold him responsible for is a lack of drive in the stories he's telling. If things are as bad as we're being told, why did Storm wait 8 months to officially find mutants? I would expect her, or any number of the senior X-Men to throw caution to the wind of the new anti-mutant sentiment and be like, "Hey there's some killer clouds and if you're a mutant we're going to help". Alas, we're stuck with what looks and feels like a nostalgic line-up, but falls flat and lacks an energy to propel the stories along.
    Storm didn't wait 8 months. In fact, they already established X-Haven during the eight months.

BANNED

I think the first story arc was weak, but it got a lot better quickly. I think he found his footing with that team.

Fantastic Member

i ll say it again this last issue was almost joe casey /chuck austen level bad. Its strange because last weeks moon knight issue 1 was one of the best comics all year, hawkeye is always fun a nd even old man logan although i hate the character has been pretty good. I know the x-kids have their fans but enough of martha, anole glob when we many many more real x-men that could use screen time. Maybe its just the characters he choose but the team dynamic jsut doest work and the book just feels boring

It is too early to judge. I prefer wait until the end of Apocalypse Wars to have an opinion.

Moreover we need to be fair the plot of the story does not help and the part of the blame is Marvel's editorial.

Some writers improve the work with time and others worsen see the case of Bendis had a great beginning but after the Battle of the Atom the quality of the stories just dropped in each issue.

Finally to be honest think the situation of All New X-Men comic worse this book does not add anything and story arcs so far were horrible in a much worse level that EXM .
    Last edited by Knives; 04-21-2016 at 07:04 AM.

Spectacular Member

We're nine issues in. How much more do you need to see? I also agree that there's probably a lot of editorial pressure on Lemire, and that sucks. Fingers crossed Carey is coming back.

Unglaublich!

Everything since the first issue feels very disjointed to me. Ignoring, for the time being, the mystery of what Cyclops "did" and the continuation of Bendis' tradition of characters only being able to call Scott by his full name, there doesn't seem to be much of a narrative in this book.

Adventure one: Limbo and Manhattan.

Adventure two: Weirdworld.

Adventure three: the future.

It just reads like fanfic to me, and it doesn't help that my favourite character (Nightcrawler) has either been wallpaper or, even in the arc which was supposed to focus on him, relegated to a very tiny subplot!

To say I'm disappointed in this title would be grossly understating things...

I am... bored. I don't think its necessarily his fault though. Marvel/Bendis seemed to have placed the X-Men with a point A to Point Z kind of structure, and the person writing is literally just filling the colour inside the canvas. Like it can be seen nothing the current writers do is going to be big or massively interesting as they are literally just carrying from After Battleworld to Apocalypse Wars to Civil War 2 to Death of X. So like, there current writers are not creating anything new and Marvel/Bendis seem to still be calling the shots on anything of significance actually happening. Not to mention that this whole "what cyclops did" thing got boring after the 3rd issue.

BANNED

But some writers can waste time and be entertaining. Claremont was saddled with some dumb mandates back in the days and did great, mostly. The Dire Wraith issues and SWII were still good.