Default The Magnificent Seven (Remake)

I loved Seven Samurai and the Yul Brynner version, and with great performers like Denzyl Washington and Ethan Hawke in the cast, this has piqued my interest.

So, the ad': a black man, an Indian and an Oriental, along with some bloke who likes to blow sh*t up. I can see everyone on this site turning the film into an argument about "diversity" so I'm throwing it out there now - would, historically, these people have all gotten along?
    WHO CARES?
    For modern audiences, this looks like it ticks a lot of boxes and I, for one, will be buying a ticket.
    Okay, so I'm not sure if there's supposed to be a pseudo-ninja in one of the two above mentioned characters, but a group of heroes standing up to ridiculous odds just to do the right thing...?

LEGENDARY.

This is a timeless kind of story that I only hope succeeds. I'll come back in September or October when we get the film to say whether or not it did its heritage justice.

Default The Magnificent Seven. Washington. Pratt. Who's Down?

I love western. I hate to say it, but there's been a bit of a resurgence with the number of westerns being made these days. We got movies like The Lone Ranger, Django Unchained, The Hateful Eight. Not all of them have been huge successes financial, but there have been some good ones made recently.

Now comes a very action-oriented remake of The Magnificent Seven. I've never seen the original, but I am psyched about this one. It's got a pretty awesome cast, with the likes of Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke, Vincent D'Onofrio, Byung-Hun Lee.

I really love Antoine Fuqua's direction when it comes to action. I look forward to whatever he works on, because I know the action will be great. I don't think all his movies are great, but I've really enjoyed quite a few of his movies.

The trailer has dropped and it looks like a lot of fun. Are you excited?

Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Extraordinary Member

No.

You can't do better than the original. It's simply not possible.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Shit look cray I'm there!

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    No.

Well, technically The Magnificent Seven was a remake to begin with - even though I mostly agree. If you want to remake it change the genre. That's what Roger Corman did.
    Dark does not mean deep.

It looks like it should be pretty good. And with Denzel in the lead it wont suck

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Well, technically The Magnificent Seven was a remake to begin with - even though I mostly agree. If you want to remake it change the genre. That's what Roger Corman did.
    Yes indeed, that is a given. But as for changing the genre, this story has been adapted so many times now I guess there is no point even trying to hide it LOL
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    No.

The Magnificent Seven is not the original. Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, starring the legendary Toshiro Mifune came first, and, to be honest, I liked it more. As for the Mag 7 remake, hmm, interesting. I might watch it. Might.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The Magnificent Seven is not the original. Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, starring the legendary Toshiro Mifune came first, and, to be honest, I liked it more. As for the Mag 7 remake, hmm, interesting. I might watch it. Might.
    I always preferred The Magnificent Seven to Seven Samurai. I felt the pacing was better. But I guess Seven Samurai has the advantage of having fewer terrible sequels and spin-offs. The only Seven Samurai spin-off I know of is Samurai 7, which was pretty awesome. But since I'm probably the only person that bought the Magnificent Seven TV series on DVD, I'm pretty likely to see this. No one will ever top Yul Brynner though, that's just a fact. Even Lee Van Cleef couldn't do it, and he actually tried.

The plot looks even further removed from The Seven Samurai, where unemployed warriors are hired to defend a town from pillaging, and more like (to mention another samurai flick) 13 Assassins, in which they're hired to take out a sadistic bad guy.

Still, Denzel in the Yul Brenner role and Chris Pratt in the Steve McQueen role? That seems like a fun flick.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    IIRC Kurosawa refused to say which one was better - to do so would be to diminish both of them.
    Dark does not mean deep.