Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Cheetah & Silver Swan - Which Incarnation of Either do you prefer?

See above. Cheetah has four different versions to her character in Priscilla Rich, Debbie Domaine, Barbara Ann Minerva and Sebastion Ballesteros, while Silver Swan has three in Helen Alexandros, Valerie Beaudry and Vanessa Kapetalis. Personally I prefer Barbara for Cheetah while being undecided for Silver Swann, but I'm curious to see what other people say.

You probably have to go with Barbara for Cheetah, but I LOVED Debbie Domaine. I think it was just the costume & when she was drawn by Perez or Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez.

Silver Swan - DEFINITELY NOT Vanessa!!! Loathed that transformation. Always thought Helen looked great & her powers were cool.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My favorites are the originals but I like most versions of both characters. I love the dual personalities and savageness of Priscilla Rich and the original Silver Swan being an agent of Mars(Ares).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Barbara Minerva is definitely better as a villain, but I'll always have a soft spot for Priscilla Rich. I like how the New 52 merged all the Cheetahs together.

Helen Alexandros is my favorite of the Swans. She was just straight up evil because of society's treatment of her homeliness. I also like the idea of her being "Ares's Champion," something that didn't happen with Valerie or Vanessa.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I tend to flop flop between preferring Priscilla (provided she looks like she does in Justice) and Perez era Barbara. My ideal version is probably a composite of the two though. I think the New 52 had the right idea in merging them. I'll probably also like whatever Morrison has cooked up with his own version.

I'm less interested in the Swans in general, but I think Helen might be the best because she has ties to Greek mythology. I always thought it was weird that Perez played up the importance of Greek myth in his run, and yet made the Swan a purely man made supervillain. I did like what Jimenez and especially Rucka did with Vanessa as the Swan though.

Mighty Member

Ideally Priscilla with Barbara's powers but Priscilla is my fave in general

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I will always have a soft spot for Priscilla Rich and Debbie Domain, but as a WW villain I would have to go with Minerva. That cat'so just crazy and powerful. Perez did a great job building her history, background and personality.
    For Swan I would go with Helena. While I loved Valerie, she was too sympathetic and was more often hero than villain. Helena as has been pointed out was great as an agent of Ares.

Spectacular Member

What would've been great in the post crisis continuity would be that after the sympathetic character of Valerie Beaudry, and the even more tragic case of Nessie being turned into a villain, if they reintroduced Helena Alexanderos, complete with her evil personality and empowerment by Ares. Thus, when WW sees this witch using the powers and appearance of former friends who were victims of abuse and neglect, gaining said powers intentionally from Ares no less, she has to try her hardest not to kill her on the spot in rage. It would've been perfect after the maxwell lord situation, too.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I tend to flop flop between preferring Priscilla (provided she looks like she does in Justice) and Perez era Barbara. My ideal version is probably a composite of the two though. I think the New 52 had the right idea in merging them. I'll probably also like whatever Morrison has cooked up with his own version.

I'm less interested in the Swans in general, but I think Helen might be the best because she has ties to Greek mythology. I always thought it was weird that Perez played up the importance of Greek myth in his run, and yet made the Swan a purely man made supervillain. I did like what Jimenez and especially Rucka did with Vanessa as the Swan though.

Where is Morrison's version of the Cheetah supposed to appear?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Where is Morrison's version of the Cheetah supposed to appear?
    spoilers:
    One of the Amazons from New Sparta may possibly be Cheetah. She has a cheetah print tattoo and red hair. It may also just be a sight gag by Paquette.
    end of spoilers

Minerva all the way for me. Barbara scares me more than her Cheetah persona in many ways.

I liked the tragedy Beaudry as Silver Swan, but it didn't really set her up as a long term foe for me. (Not really the goal of her character.) I'd like to see Rucka take crack at setting up Alexandros as a premier villain, like Ares, Circe, Doctor Psycho, or Cheetah. (Same goes for Giganta, who needs more depth and autonomy as a major villain.)

Incredible Member

Growing up, I loved Debbie Domaine, especially in that JLA story in which, of all in the Secret Society of Super-Villains, she is the one who "saves the day" to free them from limbo as climbs from tube to tube, fueled by her brainwashed hatred of Diana, and destroys the centrifuge the JLA is trapped in. But ultimately, I'm torn between Alex Ross's terrifying version of Priscilla and Barbara Minerva. Domaine was just never developed past crazy, whereas both Rich and Minerva had interesting character development in their times.

For Silver Swan, I prefer Helen Alexandros, a character who, in the face of adversity and unfairness, chooses the path of greed and hate. Perez's Swan was a too-heavy-handed morality tale, and while I thought Jimenez's Swan was a great story turn, it doesn't make sense for the character to remain in the role of a villain, especially when all of her "skills & powers" are completely dependent on someone else providing them and then using her. I wouldn't mind, actually, seeing Julia and Vanessa come back, and for Vanessa to have some personality restored to her. By the time Rucka was through with her, it was as if she had done nothing but deteriorate since first becoming the swan, and what does recovery for that character look like? What is she on the recovered side from crazy jealousy and villainy?

Debbie Domaine was my Cheetah when I was first exposed to Wondy. The mysticism approach used with Barbara was definitley intersting, but I really appreciated how Debbie was connected to the original, Golden-Age Cheetah.

For Silver Swan, I would have to go for the original pre-Crisis version. I also thought the Pre-Crisis design was the best by far, the second one being Jimenez's Vanessa version. I hoped that Vanessa could maintain the Silver Swan identity, while still being reformed. A more heroic Silver Swan could've been an intersting expansion to the extremely small 'Wonder Family' of heroes. Vanessa SS could be the Jason Todd of the Wonder Family with a chip on her shoulder. She was close to Diana before Cassie was, while Cassie was pretty much the same character. I mean Byrne was kind of a jerk to replace one mother-daughter team with his own mother-daughter team. He could've just used Vanessa and Julia, or created new characters that had a different dynamic. Maybe an orphan girl, or a girl with an emotionally distant father or something.

I love Priscilla Rich as Cheetah, but I have to go with Barbara Minerva as the Cheetah I prefer.
    Debbie Domaine came on board just after I started reading comics. She was good, but needed
    to be developed more as a character IMO.

Cheetah (Barbara Minerva)

The only Silver Swan for me is Helen Alexandros. I agree with others...didn't like what Rucka did
    with Vanessa Kapatelis.

Silver Swan (Helen Alexandros)
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    See above. Cheetah has four different versions to her character in Priscilla Rich, Debbie Domaine, Barbara Ann Minerva and Sebastion Ballesteros, while Silver Swan has three in Helen Alexandros, Valerie Beaudry and Vanessa Kapetalis. Personally I prefer Barbara for Cheetah while being undecided for Silver Swann, but I'm curious to see what other people say.
    Barbara Minerva is my favourite Cheetah for sure! And after JL: Doom, I cannot read her without hearing Claudia Black's voice!

I never really cared for the Silver Swan. I've always thought she was a pretty lame villain all around.