Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Marvel's "Luke Cage" Aims to Be 'Completely Different' From "Daredevil" or "Jessica Jones"

"Luke Cage" showrunner Cheo Hodari Coker and Misty Knight actress Simone Missick tell CBR the show differs from its Netflix predecessors.

Full article here.

Netflix and Marvel have been hitting it out the park so far. I am only expecting the best with Luke Cage. Please do not disappoint.

Fantastic Member

So it's going to be fun and enjoyable to watch instead of dull, dark and depressing? yay!

Now start teasing the damn bad guy that's what's going to sell this, a shit villain after Kingpin and Purple Man is not going to get people talking.

BANNED

Simone Missick is finer than frog's hair. And the bad "guy" will probably be Black Mariah...

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Different from DD and JJ but also will "allegedly" be The Wire of superhero TV shows.

Uh huh...

Quote Originally Posted by shibby View Post
    Simone Missick is finer than frog's hair. And the bad "guy" will probably be Black Mariah...
    Agree...she's gorgeous. I hope to see her and Danny (Iron Fist) eventually together like in the comics.

Please be much different than JJ. Please. That show was 7 episodes of material stretched to double digits, painfully at times
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

That Luke Cage was going to be different from Daredevil and Jessica Jones was a given, I think.

Daredevil was a crime drama (with mysticism thrown in).

Jessica Jones was a thriller (with super powers thrown in).

I expecting Cage to be like the Eazy Rawlins novels (with super powers thrown in).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Please be much different than JJ. Please. That show was 7 episodes of material stretched to double digits, painfully at times
    I really do wish that Netflix and Marvel TV weren't married to the 13 episode format. All three shows, DDS1/2 and JJ, felt like they could have been trimmed by a few episodes. Honestly, I'd say 11 should be the absolute maximum with 7/8 being the norm. I'd actually much prefer a shorter format if it means they get to better utilize their budget for VFX and stunt work. If they really want to stick to 13 episodes they may need to consider one off adventures not connected to the overarching plot threads.

Amazing Member

I'm not sure that's a good thing considering both of those shows were a success, but I'm optimistic. I really hope they go three for three.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    I really do wish that Netflix and Marvel TV weren't married to the 13 episode format. All three shows, DDS1/2 and JJ, felt like they could have been trimmed by a few episodes. Honestly, I'd say 11 should be the absolute maximum with 7/8 being the norm. I'd actually much prefer a shorter format if it means they get to better utilize their budget for VFX and stunt work. If they really want to stick to 13 episodes they may need to consider one off adventures not connected to the overarching plot threads.
    While I agree with the season 1s being strethced, DD season 2 didn't manage to finish a single plotline and often felt rushed. I feel like it needed more like 16 episodes. I always say I won't even rate it yet until I find out how the plots wrap up in seasons 3 and Defenders 1.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Hopefully the show will have a jazz club in Harlem. Luke is old enough to not be ultra-into hip-hop only.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Hopefully the show will have a jazz club in Harlem. Luke is old enough to not be ultra-into hip-hop only.
    Not necessarily...if he's under 40, essentially his prime years for identity development (13-16) would be in the late 1980s or early 1990s in New York. There is nothing more hiphop than that. This doesn't preclude him from being a fan of R&B or jazz (which would probably hold more sway than jazz given his age and how jazz has been appropriated by wealthy whites, hipsters and/or young retro fans) but him being heavily into hiphop wouldn't be weird at all.

Of course that's me assuming he's being played as someone under 40. I believe the actor is over 40 but I think the Netflix characters are all supposed to be 30-somethings.

Side-note: it's always fascinating seeing the different reactions to comoc book stuff from us hardcore crowd and the casual or non-fan crowd. As well, when social identity comes into play it gets even more interesting. JJ's handling of feminine identity and trauma seems to be more highly praised outside the predominately male world of comic forum circles. So I wonder how the Luke Cage show is going to juggle issues that are much more salient to racial minorities (particularly African Americans and/or African American men...I mean he's a bullet proof Black man, the only thing that would be more dead-on would be a post-Civil War Black man who was invulnerable to ropes and fire) and more broad themes that everyone can relate to andnot scare off more Conservative-minded whites AND still be fun and entertaining? Lol

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I expecting Cage to be like the Eazy Rawlins novels (with super powers thrown in).
    So much this^^^!!!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MaxMatrix View Post
    Not necessarily...if he's under 40, essentially his prime years for identity development (13-16) would be in the late 1980s or early 1990s in New York. There is nothing more hiphop than that. This doesn't preclude him from being a fan of R&B or jazz (which would probably hold more sway than jazz given his age and how jazz has been appropriated by wealthy whites, hipsters and/or young retro fans) but him being heavily into hiphop wouldn't be weird at all.

Of course that's me assuming he's being played as someone under 40. I believe the actor is over 40 but I think the Netflix characters are all supposed to be 30-somethings.

Side-note: it's always fascinating seeing the different reactions to comoc book stuff from us hardcore crowd and the casual or non-fan crowd. As well, when social identity comes into play it gets even more interesting. JJ's handling of feminine identity and trauma seems to be more highly praised outside the predominately male world of comic forum circles. So I wonder how the Luke Cage show is going to juggle issues that are much more salient to racial minorities (particularly African Americans and/or African American men...I mean he's a bullet proof Black man, the only thing that would be more dead-on would be a post-Civil War Black man who was invulnerable to ropes and fire) and more broad themes that everyone can relate to andnot scare off more Conservative-minded whites AND still be fun and entertaining? Lol
    Not quite sure what you did just now, but my head hurts and I'm bleeding from the nose.
    Last edited by OthelloPrime; 04-21-2016 at 11:36 AM.