Default Question regarding the correct reading order for the old (pre-2016) X-Men Age Of Apocalypse collections.

I haven't read this series since the 90's and I've had the 4 "Complete Collection" books for a while now. With the Apocalypse movie coming soon I've been thinking about jumping back in. I read somewhere that the order the books are numbered is not the order in which they should be read. Some suggest reading volumes 2, 3 & 4 before reading 1. Is that correct? Is there another order I should consider?
    Also, if this is so; what were Marvel thinking publishing numbered books that aren't to be read in that numerical order?!

Anyway, I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,
    -Odd Rödney.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I am beyond intrigued by this. All I can think of is that, maybe, Vol 1 is the later-published stories that were set earlier than the Event. In which case, yeah, they're more an addendum to the Event than part of it and could probably be better read after the "main story."
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I am beyond intrigued by this. All I can think of is that, maybe, Vol 1 is the later-published stories that were set earlier than the Event. In which case, yeah, they're more an addendum to the Event than part of it and could probably be better read after the "main story."
    Yeah, I think that might be the case. Still seems weird that they published those stories as 'X-Men Apocalypse Complete Collection Vol. 1'. I feel they should've made the complete collection a 3 volume thing and published those stories as 'AoA: Origins' or something like that.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

It'd be a bad call if that's what they did, but I can see it.

There's a substantial section of comics fandom who feel stories have to be read by their internal chronology, not when they were published or order they're intended to be read in. Makes no sense, especially if there are surprise reveals in the stories published first, that are just there in the later flashback tales.

I've seen at least one seemingly-not-joking person happy for Before Watchmen, because they didn't want to read Watchmen without having "the background."
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post

Yeah, I think that might be the case. Still seems weird that they published those stories as 'X-Men Apocalypse Complete Collection Vol. 1'. I feel they should've made the complete collection a 3 volume thing and published those stories as 'AoA: Origins' or something like that.

Which is basically exactly what they did when they released new versions of the AoA trades this past year. Those old Complete trades also have subpar repro for many issues.

There's a substantial section of comics fandom who feel stories have to be read by their internal chronology, not when they were published or order they're intended to be read in. Makes no sense, especially if there are surprise reveals in the stories published first, that are just there in the later flashback tales.
    Yeah, I really don't get that. I once read someone suggest that 'Wolverine: Origin' should be read before 'Giant Size X-Men #1'. Which just spoils a big part of Logan's past. Seems silly to me.

I've seen at least one seemingly-not-joking person happy for Before Watchmen, because they didn't want to read Watchmen without having "the background."
    That's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Which is basically exactly what they did when they released new versions of the AoA trades this past year. Those old Complete trades also have subpar repro for many issues.
    Well, it's good that they're available like that now. Makes a lot more sense.