Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Default Unsung Major Contributors to the Superman Mythos/Cosmogony

A recent post here, attributing work from Roger Stern to Jack Kirby as feathers in Dan Jurgens' cap, got me wondering about really really are the most unsung major contributors to the Superman cosmogony. Not just those who did a lot of comics but get forgotten, but contributed elements, places, people, objects and scenarios that get reused or referenced regularly, without them really getting acknowledged for it.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Well damn. This is a great question. Anyone? *bump*

While not having anything to do with world building on a narrative level, on a visual level, I think Tom Grummett is vastly underrated as a contributer to Superman's mythos.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I dunno... I think Jerry Siegel's contribution to Silver-Age Superman is really underestimated. Imo, his best Superman work belong to that era.

BANNED

Donald Clough Cameron.

As far as I know, he was the first writer to mention that Superman had a vow against killing, as well as retconning all prior instances of Superman killing. The idea for Superman to stop killing was introduced by editors, but Cameron was the first to explicitly mention it in a book.

He also introduced agelessness to the Superman character, with a story where Superman is still appears as young as he was in Action Comics #1 decades after World War II. The same story is probably the first to really drive home the concept of super intelligence, with a mention of Superman dedicating his life to scientific pursuits after having eradicated evil.

Fantastic Member

If you're looking for people who added to the mythos and don't get much credit, I think the starting point is the writers of The Adventures of Superman radio drama, which included George Lowther, who also wrote the novel The Adventures of Superman.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Donald Clough Cameron.

As far as I know, he was the first writer to mention that Superman had a vow against killing, as well as retconning all prior instances of Superman killing. The idea for Superman to stop killing was introduced by editors, but Cameron was the first to explicitly mention it in a book.

He also introduced agelessness to the Superman character, with a story where Superman is still appears as young as he was in Action Comics #1 decades after World War II. The same story is probably the first to really drive home the concept of super intelligence, with a mention of Superman dedicating his life to scientific pursuits after having eradicated evil.
    Oh, that's huge. That's a beautiful example.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)