Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I can finally post without any loading problems. Thank God!!!
    I really thought that was just me (my laptop's dying and I'm in China, so...).

No more rewriting post when the site times out!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Not if we have anything to do with it. The Moderators have been told to crack down hard on anyone wilfully breaking the new, stricter Community Standards.
    We gave out too many warnings, too many temporary bans - a lot of people seemed to take that as a mere slap on the wrist instead of the message intended. Those days are gone.
    We want anyone who loves comics (and can be civil) to feel welcome here. The old way didn't work, so now it's time for something new.
    I let some old posters and burned out lurkers know what happened. People seem optimistic. I'm optimistic. But, I hope it works, too. Avoiding encouraging people to rush back, in case it turns right back to the worst of things.

Just to clarify: Are the old forums being archived permanently or only temporarily?
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 04-30-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Doesn't this just give those who had been banned previously the chance to once again gain access?

Not if we have anything to do with it. The Moderators have been told to crack down hard on anyone wilfully breaking the new, stricter Community Standards.
    We gave out too many warnings, too many temporary bans - a lot of people seemed to take that as a mere slap on the wrist instead of the message intended. Those days are gone.
    We want anyone who loves comics (and can be civil) to feel welcome here. The old way didn't work, so now it's time for something new.
    So how about you lessen the "too many" to a specific amount before actual ban instead of totally getting rid of the practice?

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Damn the second cbr reboot I have been a part of. I missed the drama as I stopped visiting the comic boards long ago. Instead I hung around the tv/film/games/music boards. Its a shame about the loss of those great threads though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    So how about you lessen the "too many" to a specific amount before actual ban instead of totally getting rid of the practice?

Isn't that just another road to Rome?
    Last edited by numberthirty; 04-30-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Well that is refreshing to know. Witnessing the coarsening of the internet over the last 20 years has not been fun. Glad you guys are going to step up your enforcement of the rules...the last thing we need or want is for CBR to turn into YouTube comments.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandydandy View Post
    Well that is refreshing to know. Witnessing the coarsening of the internet over the last 20 years has not been fun. Glad you guys are going to step up your enforcement of the rules...the last thing we need or want is for CBR to turn into YouTube comments.
    This place was way more lax than Youtube. I've never been banned here, not even temp ban, but I can't comment on Youtube anymore

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Isn't that just another road to Rome?
    How?
    First we need to figure out what the problem they are trying to battle is.
    Normal people with the old system i think understood when words were spoken in threads, specially warning and definitely bans. With a limited amount of bans for NORMAL people is going to be tougher than the previous method but at least it somewhat fair.

If you are targeting people that dont care, the trolls, no system is going to stop them. Making it more "difficult" on then may catch a few but awesome.... you messed it up for the rest and you caught some dolphins and seals you werent going for but what the hell.

If you are targeting people that dont care, the trolls, no system is going to stop them. Making it more "difficult" on then may catch a few but awesome.... you messed it up for the rest and you caught some dolphins and seals you werent going for but what the hell.
    Including the system you were discussing. Since keeping that under control seems to be job one, "Zero Tolerance" won't be much different than "Three Short Suspensions And You're Out" when it comes to trolls.

Including the system you were discussing. Since keeping that under control seems to be job one, "Zero Tolerance" won't be much different than "Three Short Suspensions And You're Out" when it comes to trolls.
    Yes, but my point is about the seals and dolphins. There is no system that only catches trolls, no one that has any basic knowledge of the net should be under any illusion that a system like that exists. These systems for the most part hurt the random average user and the more harsh it is the more it hurts them.

If CBR has another article where anyone is super negative about something the same thing is going to happen again. All this new rules do is just get stuff deleted a little faster. But that isn't going to stop a wave if it catches on.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

If CBR has another article where anyone is super negative about something the same thing is going to happen again. All this new rules do is just get stuff deleted a little faster. But that isn't going to stop a wave if it catches on.
    It's not about "super negative," though, but about threats and invasion of privacy. When someone gets your home address, hacks your bank account, and is threatening physical violence, that's beyond "negative."

It might not stop a wave, but it can aid in stomping all over a new wave of threats and abuse if that happens. They're basically chucking out the old precedents, the old atmosphere that said to too many "this will be tolerated and ignored except a few deleted posts." There's no old precedent, anymore. The old ways don't count. New game.

That, to me, is positive. Time will tell how it works, but it sounds better, to me, as a statement, than the unspoken tolerating of the past.

Yes, but my point is about the seals and dolphins. There is no system that only catches trolls, no one that has any basic knowledge of the net should be under any illusion that a system like that exists. These systems for the most part hurt the random average user and the more harsh it is the more it hurts them.

While I see where you're coming from, it feels like "A Forum That Achieves The Objective" is going to trump "A Forum That Is Good For The Random User And Interesting To Read" in the eyes of the folks running the CBR Forum.

It will be interesting to see if they even go back to the more user friendly DC(with sub-forums)/Marvel(with sub-forums)/Independents(with sub-forums) layout of the old board. I know that the old DC Vertigo board going to a single "General Discussion" section killed of quite a bit of participation.

Didn't have many posts before to begin with so I have no problem with this at all. Hope CBR can have good discussions to come

BANNED

I like this CBR better. Everything's streamlined now and you'll (hopefully) get to know your neighbors better.

Extraordinary Member

I also approve. Everyone's still here and there's more coming.
    It was time for a revamp. And I can now go on the site fully on mobile devices now!