Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    It's not about "super negative," though, but about threats and invasion of privacy. When someone gets your home address, hacks your bank account, and is threatening physical violence, that's beyond "negative."

It might not stop a wave, but it can aid in stomping all over a new wave of threats and abuse if that happens. They're basically chucking out the old precedents, the old atmosphere that said to too many "this will be tolerated and ignored except a few deleted posts." There's no old precedent, anymore. The old ways don't count. New game.

That, to me, is positive. Time will tell how it works, but it sounds better, to me, as a statement, than the unspoken tolerating of the past.
    But did all that stuff happen exclusively in this board? I didnt follow that whole thing and was briefly in it and what i saw was simply discussions of the event and the reaction. This was the eye of the storm but dont think that this was the only place the storm touched. So having this reaction based on some possible outside event means that CBR is going to have to protect itself by even stopping the source. I think CBR is taking the blame for this simply because there was discussion happening. So they are going to have to just not let us respond to articles or even make threads about them.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I see where you're coming from, it feels like "A Forum That Achieves The Objective" is going to trump "A Forum That Is Good For The Random User And Interesting To Read" in the eyes of the folks running the CBR Forum.
    That's the problem some folks have here, this done for a specific reason and the community here is just taking the hit.

Spectacular Member

Might I suggest a core tenet to the new rules that I believe effectively maintained the high level of quality posts at TWoP and now Previously.TV:

NO POSTING/COMMENTING on users/posters.

It derails and distracts from the topics and subjects as well as allowing escalation of emotions far more easily.

You can agree/disagree with opinions fine while making your own assertions and points, but the exclusion of personalizing the back and forth completely eliminates the tendency to devolve into nerd wars.

Example of this rule implemented:

Original Poster: "I think it was a great idea for the writers to scale back her power set as it caused previous writers to have written themselves into a corner with that resulting in boring storytelling."

Replying Poster: "I see it differently. A good writer is a good writer and will find a way to write well and stay true to the character without marginalizing what made him/her special."

Example of this rule not implemented:

Original Poster: "I think it was a great idea for the writers to scale back her power set as it caused previous writers to have written themselves into a corner with that resulting in boring storytelling."

Replying Poster: "Serious question: Is it even possible at all for you to not like something? I see it differently. A good writer is a good writer and will find a way to write well and stay true to the character without marginalizing what made him/her special. Maybe you should stick to Archie."

This is a good thing. Some of the other sites could do with a shakeup.

I've never been a regular poster before, and admittedly flipped off the occasional snarky comment in reaction to articles in the past, but reading Wielands declaration has made me consider getting more involved in forums generally. And taking it more seriously. For one thing, if I feel the urge to write something longer I'm probably going to do it in word and paste it in. Makes for better reading.

I've just gotten into comics relatively recently, and wasn't really aware of how the forums were before. CBR was something I simply subscribed to on my Facebook feed to keep a steady flow of comics/film info coming to me.

But after hearing about the new direction from another forum, I felt compelled to go ahead and sign up.

At the very least, this is exposure, positive exposure.

Fantastic Member

So people who were banned before -- and I think we could bring up a few -- are they allowed back in if they can follow the rules? Granted, not being able to is what got the booted before, but still.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-19-2016 at 08:25 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    So people who were banned before -- and I think we could bring up a few -- are they allowed back in if they can follow the rules? Granted, not being able to is what got the booted before, but still.
    That's what I was wondering too in another thread. I guess it will keep the mods busy if the banned members sneak back in. I suspect most of them wouldn't take long fall back into their old posting ways and get banned again.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    I know four permabans who are currently posting in this forum.

CBR Forums: New 52 Edition!
    This is a good thing and hopefully things just keep getting better from here!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I know four permabans who are currently posting in this forum.
    They'll get banned again if they don't shape up, though. It may take awhile for them to weed out the troublemakers, but they will.

BANNED

Also highly appreciated. Now watch your boards and keep the people who just want to fight and troll and insult away, please.

Good luck with the new CBR!

I like the new forum layout, all comics in a single place without any Marvel/DC/Others apartheid. As well as the community streamlining.

Amazing Member

I'm hopeful this can be a new beginning.

It is true that a prevailing nastiness and aggressiveness had spread through the forum and it was enough to drive me away.
    I didn't think i would return, but i applaud Jonah and his Admin's efforts and i think a clean slate is the best chance for here.

Sincerely

Thank You
    Last edited by BumbleBecc; 05-01-2014 at 05:53 AM.

While this is a pretty radical move, the staff's hearts are in the right place. Going foward, I hope that I and other new and old members will help to make CBR a more inclusive and positive community.

Amazing Member

Well done Jonah. There is no reason to stand for such miserable behaviour.

BANNED

I really don't get the whole "I didn't dare sign up before but now I feel safe" thing tbh. What was terrifying you so much ?