Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Here's to a fresh start and a warm welcome to all new posters on the forums.

For those wondering why we elected to go for a completely fresh start, I think the following analogy works;
    Think of a pool of water, it's new and fresh with the sunlight sparkling somewhat on the surface. Fantastic stuff.
    Over time, rubbish such as leaves and mud and algae and whatever else you can imagine start to culminate in this pool and makes it kind of gross.
    Now, you can try as might to scoop the muck out but no matter how long you're there, you'll never ever get the pool back to pristine condition. The taint of the rubbish is just too strong.
    So, eventually, to make the pool of water back to it's best possible condition you actually have to empty the pool, scrub it out and start over.

Now we have a nice figurative pool of water and, hopefully, we can keep it that way so as many people as possible can be welcomed to celebrate our love of comic book culture.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    For those wondering why we elected to go for a completely fresh start, I think the following analogy works;
    Think of a pool of water, it's new and fresh with the sunlight sparkling somewhat on the surface. Fantastic stuff.
    Over time, rubbish such as leaves and mud and algae and whatever else you can imagine start to culminate in this pool and makes it kind of gross.
    Now, you can try as might to scoop the muck out but no matter how long you're there, you'll never ever get the pool back to pristine condition. The taint of the rubbish is just too strong.
    So, eventually, to make the pool of water back to it's best possible condition you actually have to empty the pool, scrub it out and start over.

Now we have a nice figurative pool of water and, hopefully, we can keep it that way so as many people as possible can be welcomed to celebrate our love of comic book culture.
    An excellent analogy. But you forgot the constant pissing that inevitably happens in a public pool.
    Life is but a dream

thanks to all the admins and mods who contribute their time to make this community work. hopefully all the changes work out for the best.
    formerly 'weeks'

BANNED

I've been a CBR reader and lurker for years. Something about the established community made it hard to jump in. It's scary being the new guy, you know. In terms of forums Comic Bloc is/was more my style (DarthLucifuge for you Blocers). With this news of a rebooted forum I figured what the heck, why not? While I understand where the animosity of change is coming from... and rightly so in some cases, I can't help but be thankful for this. So thanks for giving me and a lot of others a chance to start at the ground floor of something fantastic.

Hope to interact with you guys a lot more.

Sarah Beach

Nice analogy, Matt. As someone who has moderated a board that had to reboot a couple of times for simply mechanical reasons (switching from one board template to another), I know some folks will complain. But I also totally understand the reason for this reboot. Let's all hope it shall be a better "world" from now on!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Beach View Post
    Nice analogy, Matt. As someone who has moderated a board that had to reboot a couple of times for simply mechanical reasons (switching from one board template to another), I know some folks will complain. But I also totally understand the reason for this reboot. Let's all hope it shall be a better "world" from now on!
    I think this is CBR's first forums-wide reboot in at least ten years. We rebooted a few times between 1996-2004 due to switching to new forum templates, but I think the previous incarnation had been running continuously for about ten years.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Agreed. Looking forward to more positivity and true community in comics and beyond.
    Adam Wallenta
    Illustrator/Writer

My new all-ages graphic novel I created with my 5-year-old son, "PUNK TACO" is available now.
    PUNK TACO is about a lovable alien taco that rocks out across the galaxy with his band of misfits, fighting evil and anyone in need.

PUNKTACO.com

PUNK TACO on AMAZON

Yeah, that works, but man is it going take a long time to refill this pool.

BANNED

The real test will be when someone dares to restart the News and Politics threads.

Fantastic Member

Unfortunately,Matt,to produce that pristine pool,you will need to eliminate all life within it.Of course,there is the option of keeping it completely sterile to maintain that pristine ness.....why allow any pollution of the enviornment?If a sterile,lifeless forum is what you desire,current actions may well achieve that.Is CBR really a better place stripped of it's history and soul and of the community that made it what it was.

Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. That's always been the difference between us, Matt.To my fellow X-boarders,If we are going to be damned,let's be damned for what we really are.

Okay,that last bit was cheesy but I always wanted to quote 'Watchmen'

This reboot took me completely by surprise. I hope the new forums grow into a great community and that all the users I'm familiar with sign up again.
    Last edited by Scholar87; 04-30-2014 at 06:29 PM.

So instead of the people in charge having proper cleaning you go the easy way and throw some gas on it and light a match.
    Who was this best for exactly?

On top of that the lifeguards are now going to kick people for the smallest infraction.
    Again, who was this best for exactly?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar87 View Post
    This reboot took me completely by surprise. I hope the new forums grow into a great community and that all users I'm familiar with sign up again.
    I read Jonah's article and understand what happened.

All I will say, as a respectful suggestion, is that on the page that appears asking you to sign in when you log on - put a message to explain what is happening. I tried to log today, got the sign in page, fine, tried over and over and no success. There was no clue as to why? Was I typing the password wrong, had my account been hacked, was I banned? I spent half an hour getting frustrate until I clicked on the community thread link on the toolbar to see if others were having the same problem and realized what was going on.

I don't know if a general email went out, but I doubt I'm the only person who got [or will get] frustrated. So maybe put an announcement on the sign in page that appears when you hit your favourites link. It certainly save some people confusion and angst. :smile:

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    The real test will be when someone dares to restart the News and Politics threads.

The first test is the X-board and so far it seem fine.
    But this might be seeing how far they are going to take it.