Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Near Long Island. No Circus Pizza, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    Yeah, Crisis is pretty, but it HEAVILY depends on the reader being invested in the Pre-Crisis mythology to pack any oomph. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone coming into the Bronze Age cold.

The immediate pre-Crisis era had a number of good-to-great runs, which others have mentioned:

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing - It's early Moore, so it's a bit on the wordy side, but it does a fair amount of romping through the DCU.
    Wolfman/Perez Titans - I recently went through a re-read of these. Wolfman's dialogue hasn't aged well (a problem with Crisis, as well), but the book remains a masterpiece of plotting, and you can't beat the Perez art.
    Levitz/Giffen (and others) Legion - Speaking of plotting masterpieces, you could do far worse than to simply start at the Legion Annual #1 and read every Legion story up through the end of the Baxter series.
    Thomas/Ordway All-Star Squadron - Heck, I'd even throw in Young All-Stars.
    DC Comics Presents (various) - Superrman's team-up book, like most team up books, was always hit an miss, but the good ones (like Starlin's Martian Manhunter/Supergirl/Spectre trilogy) were great.
    Cyborg's dialect. Can we get a rousing "Mebbe," everyone?
    STAS apologist, New 52 apologist, writer of several DC fan projects.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Pre-COIE DC Comics stories tended, for the most part, to be single-issue affairs, or no longer than three-issue story arcs.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Pre-COIE was more akin to O. Henry and Guy de Maupassant, while post-COIE has been more Leo Tolstoy and Victor Hugo.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Cary Bates run of Flash went on forever, I think the Iris death went on for 10-20 issues before things got resolved if I remember correctly, and the whole Professor Zoom being left to die in hell and returning was pretty epic. That's another recommended pre-crisis run.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Pre-COIE was more akin to O. Henry and Guy de Maupassant, while post-COIE has been more Leo Tolstoy and Victor Hugo.
    Or, from a pop music point of view, Pre-COIE was like the pre-Beatles era when pop/rock was dominated by singles, while Post-COIE is the post-Beatles era when albums became the new dominant format of rock.

Buried alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Or, from a pop music point of view, Pre-COIE was like the pre-Beatles era when pop/rock was dominated by singles, while Post-COIE is the post-Beatles era when albums became the new dominant format of rock.

Buried alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    That's a perfect analogy, too, BA. Short stories/singles vs. novels/albums - they're all great in their own way, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?