Invincible Member

Default Uses Of The Term "Mum" in the UK

I have a question and I'm going to ask it here because there's a few people who post here sometime from the UK and also because I'm thinking of it cuz I'm watching the show Luther.

It's not super serious, but it's about the uses of the term "mum"...most of my life I thought it was just another version of "mom", you'd say it to your mother or a matriarchal figure.

I've seen in used in the show Scott and Bailey about British policewomen, but I didn't think about it because the people were women saying it to other women maybe a man has said too, but I just took it as a term of endearment...women in the states have called each other "mami" and "momma". But now I'm watching Luther which is a cop show as well and I'm seeing men and women say it specifically to women in authority.

So I guess that's my question...if I lived in the UK and say worked in a real estate office under a female boss, would it be common for me to say,"Here's that account report you wanted mum" ?
    Last edited by ed2962; 04-22-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

My mother was a British war bride and I do recall using "mumsy" as a term of endearment. Must have learned it from her I guess.
    Maybe it sounds like "mum" but they might be saying "ma'am". But it comes out sounding like it it rhymes with "farm"

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Maybe it sounds like "mum" but they might be saying "ma'am". But it comes out sounding like it it rhymes with "farm"
    Yes, that.

Invincible Member

My mother was a British war bride and I do recall using "mumsy" as a term of endearment. Must have learned it from her I guess.
    Hmm...I hadn't thought that i might have been just mishearing it. Part of me was kinda hoping that they were saying mum as mother...LOL

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Yes, that.
    I guess that makes sense.

Yee, they're saying "Ma'am", which is actually pronounced quite differently from "Mum" (Ma'am has a long vowel, you can stretch it a bit).

Now the real question is perhaps why Americans pronounce "Ma'am" to rhyme with "ham". :P
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Now the real question is perhaps why Americans pronounce "Ma'am" to rhyme with "ham". :P
    If we're going to start picking on strange American pronunciations, that's not even on the radar. We have to deal with lever, route, herbs, homage, tomato, oregano, basil and mirror first.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Yee, they're saying "Ma'am", which is actually pronounced quite differently from "Mum" (Ma'am has a long vowel, you can stretch it a bit).

Yeah, I feel kinda silly now. I continued to watch and I realized that they were saying "ma'am"

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    If we're going to start picking on strange American pronunciations, that's not even on the radar. We have to deal with lever, route, herbs, homage, tomato, oregano, basil and mirror first.
    How about the difference between "shit" and "shite"?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yeah, I thought when I saw "shite" that it rhymes with "kite". As for "ma'am" wouldn't that be a derivative of the French "madame" as in "Madame LaFarge" from Tale of Two Cities (and not someone who runs a brothel ?

BANNED

I guess in this case, mum's not the word?

ZING!

I'm more interested in the Freudian implications of someone automatically assuming women in a position of authority are referred to as "mother".

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Yes, as stated above it's Ma'am. Which in this context originates as an abbreviation for MADAM.
    It's also phonetically pronounced: 'Marm'... Not 'Mam'. I'm from Newcastle Upon Tyne (North East of England) and there it's a cultural norm to call your mother 'Mam' not 'Mum'. Just sayin yo :-)
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yeah, I thought when I saw "shite" that it rhymes with "kite".
    It does rhyme with kite. It's just a northern way of saying "shit" - but we southerners use it too sometimes because swear words often sound better in a northern accent.