Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Joker Will Take 'a Completely New Direction' in "Suicide Squad"

"Suicide Squad's" Jared Leto discussed whether or not the Joker will get an origin and how honored he is to "reinvent and redefine" the character.

Full article here.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

The opposite of Ledger's Joker is a funny, whimsical version, who turns on dime from fun to horrifying. I kind of doubt the Snyderverse will make anyone fun.
    Cyclops was right

...why did this suddenly pop into mind?

Quote Originally Posted by FlashingSabre View Post
    The opposite of Ledger's Joker is a funny, whimsical version, who turns on dime from fun to horrifying. I kind of doubt the Snyderverse will make anyone fun.
    Wasn't Cesar Romero's Joker the opposite of Ledger's Joker?

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Wasn't Cesar Romero's Joker the opposite of Ledger's Joker?
    Never seen Batman 66. Though a more serious take on that version would probably be pretty cool. I like fun Joker.
    Cyclops was right

Never seen Batman 66. Though a more serious take on that version would probably be pretty cool. I like fun Joker.
    I'm old enough that I watched it on TV when I was a kid. It was basically a satire of Batman. Very over the top and campy. Even I thought it was silly at the time. But it did introduce a lot of the comic book villains played by well know and talented actors of the time wearing nice costumes. Special effects were very crude, but that was a time of practical effects and before there was CGI. You can probably find the movie they made during the summer break. It's actually very entertaining and has Batman (Adam West) & Robin (Burt Ward) going up against the Joker (Cesar Romero), Penguin (Burgess Meredith), Riddler (Frank Gorshin), and Catwoman (played by Lee Meriwether instead of Julie Newmar).

I get concerned every time a well established character is said to be reinvented or reimagined. It means it will be nothing like what you want to see.

I would say Hamill's Joker is the opposite of Ledger's take. Hamill's Joker was fun and entertaining. A total maniac. Ledger's was a just a normal psychopath with a make up fetish. He was depressed. But what do I know, I didnt like Ledger Joker. I think Ledger Joker was about as good a Joker as Eisenburg's Lex Luthor.

From what I've heard about Leto and what his co-actors are saying, it sounds like he's trying entirely too hard to be method or something.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Well this kind of makes sense. There's really no way to continue Heath Ledger's Joker. He set the bar too high. Trying to mimic his style will only set them up to fail. And from what I've seen in Suicide Squad, Leto has a great presence and I think he'll do well with that role. It might even set him up to be in the next Batman movie. So I'm going to try and maintain some cautious optimism here, as hard as that is for DC movies these days.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

As far as a new take on the Joker, I was told last night that Leto's Joker has scars that match up to bullet holes on the Robin costume from BvS.

It's called DC Expanded Universe and this movie was written and directed by David Ayer. Turning people into boogeymen is not a constructive way to form opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by The New Black View Post
    As far as a new take on the Joker, I was told last night that Leto's Joker has scars that match up to bullet holes on the Robin costume from BvS.
    Wow, where were you in the last nine months? This Jason-is-the-Joker rumour is almost as old as the first promotional material of Suicide Squad.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    It's called DC Expanded Universe and this movie was written and directed by David Ayer. Turning people into boogeymen is not a constructive way to form opinions.

Wow, where were you in the last nine months? This Jason-is-the-Joker rumour is almost as old as the first promotional material of Suicide Squad.
    Oh, really? I was focused on BvS. Guess I have catching up to do.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

If I had to guess... Leto's Joker could be a lot like Miller's Joker since BvS is strongly influenced by it. It's odd that the Joker or Batfleck aren't what I'm mostly looking forward to in SS. Really hoping for a SS sequel.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

All those stunts Leto pulled better amount to something. DCEU has enough egg on its face.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

"I'm just the latest in the long list of people who have redefined and reinvented this character," he continued. "The actors, the voice actors, the television series, the writers, the artists and the fans. People have taken the Joker and reinvented and redefined for 75 years. It is really special to be asked to do that."
    At least he knows that there have been decades of different jokers.

The only way he can reinvent him in any sort of a drastic way would be to having act like some sort of Japanese salaryman.
    Serious joker.