Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What are your LEAST favourite ANAD books?

Many of the new ANAD books have been great fresh starts, however, others are just meh. Going off the other thread, name your top five least favourite ANAD comics so far.

I haven't been buying a crazy amount, but the stand alone stories not meant for stand alone characters have been pretty not good, such as Drax.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean by stand alone stories not meant for stand alone characters.

It's hard to say what the least favorite book is because I only read a small sample of them regularly. Thankfully, Standoff allowed me to read more as part of that. With that, Howling Commandos was pretty dull and, frankly, so was Uncanny Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by stand alone stories not meant for stand alone characters.

It's hard to say what the least favorite book is because I only read a small sample of them regularly. Thankfully, Standoff allowed me to read more as part of that. With that, Howling Commandos was pretty dull and, frankly, so was Uncanny Avengers.
    Such as characters only meant for a team. Other than being on that team, they're pretty uninteresting.

Yeah HC seemed pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Fighter View Post
    Many of the new ANAD books have been great fresh starts, however, others are just meh. Going off the other thread, name your top five least favourite ANAD comics so far.

I haven't been buying a crazy amount, but the stand alone stories not meant for stand alone characters have been pretty not good, such as Drax.
    That hurt a little
    Current Pull List:
    DC (Rebirth): All-Star Batman, Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Justice League
    Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Black Panther, Black Widow, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Power Man and Iron Fist, Spider-Gwen
    Image: The Walking Dead
    Dark Horse: Dept-H

Titles that I wish I could afford to also follow
    All-New All-Different Avengers, Scooby Apocalypse

i think Drax is a fun book. but IMO least favorite= not buying. and i'm not buying All New X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Howling Commandos, SHIELD and Deadpool.

If we're going off of the overall package, my least favorites are Illumanati, Weirdworld, Totally Awesome Hulk, Mighty Thor and Venom Space Knight. The first 2 because they honestly can't seem to catch my interest or make me care about their existence between cast and story, the next 2 because I'm not a fan of these replacement hero stories and Venom because I just hate Bendis' version of Agent Venom and it sucks that after I loved the previous Venom series and Secret Avengers, this is the version we're stuck with getting a new solo.

BANNED

I'm gonna go and list the books I tried, and was massively dissapointed with:

1) Illuminati: Just meh. Neat premise, but the Z-List cast and the un-original-ness(?) of the main story killed it for me.
    2) Howling Commandos: Neat idea as it was essentially Marvel's BPRD, but meh to bad execution.
    3) Venom-Space Knight: I loved Secret Agent Venom and Flash's story-arc, but Bendis' Space Venom and "Klyntar" retcon were the most absolute pieces of shite I've read. The book itself ain't bad, it's just that the concept and story behind it piss me off.

There are other stuff I read and was dissapointed with because they were such departures, but they had enough good stuff in them to make me look over the bad things. I'm not reading them, but I don't "hate" them per se.

1. Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat
    2. All-New X-Men / Extraordinary X-Men
    3. Howard the Duck

I also can't get into Al Ewing's books unlike everyone else on the planet, but they're not in least favorite territory.

I already quit reading Extraordinary X-Men and I'm getting close to quitting All New X-Men.

Uncanny Avengers is very hit or miss for me. Still on the fence. I feel the same about New Avengers, and the horrible art doesn't help. Beginning to lose interest in Scarlet Witch as well.

Extraordinary Member

I just couldn't dig Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

For me for obvious reasons

Illuminati, after the issue 1, I though that next issues will be focused on the other characters but with horrible art, 0 development (unless it is just Titania) and the way it was written and the totally out of character for the members chosen for being a team that it was never revealed how they are around. The Enchantress that it would have been my way to see something different it was terribly handled, the revelation of being Sylvie Lushton (another character I loved since the days of the Dark Reign mini) it was even worse. Clearly a Huge Let-down for a book that with another writer and another artist it would have been better.

Practically the totality of the Avengers team books are a huge disappointment to me, only I liked the Alex Ross covers from All-New, All-Different Avengers and little more.

The other books, I can´t say anything, just that initiative of almost 70 titles was not so good and the majority of those books with little chances to survive unless it´s Spider-Man, Avengers and X-men (and not all the titles derivated from them).

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Fighter View Post
    Such as characters only meant for a team. Other than being on that team, they're pretty uninteresting.

Yeah HC seemed pretty bad.
    Karnak is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I feel the same about New Avengers, and the horrible art doesn't help.
    I came in during Standoff, which I understand has a different artist. Is that artist better than the original one or do you dislike both?

1. Doctor Strange - I wanted to love this book so much but I couldn't stand the characterization of Strange (and even Wong to an extent), disliked the seemingly endless "Last Days of Magic" plot(I dropped at after issue 5 and it look like this is going to go at least to 10), and while I didn't mind the art at first it became very old very fast as it seemed like the artist just kinda had one idea for all the weird mystical stuff and it started to like very samey. Between this and the main Star Wars book Aaron's name has became avoid at all cost for me, unfortunately.

2. Spider-Man 2099 - I only read the first issue of the ANAD run but I did read the previous run, which I really wanted to like but had problems with (the man out of time storyline seemed like a waste especially now with so many spider people around and a whole third of the run being tie-ins to an event I didn't care about). Still in the main universe and not in 2099, now with just a worse costume and some really bad old cliches (I know the apparent fridging of the girlfriend character was actually undone later but none of the writing in the previous 12 issues game me any reason to give them the benefit of the doubt for that).

3. All New All Different Avengers - Just, slow and boring, that's it.

On the other end of the spectrum I love what they've done with Vision, Scarlet Witch, and All New Wolverine.
    Last edited by Panfoot; 04-23-2016 at 04:56 AM.

Niffleheim

Books that i dropped after a couple of issues because they felt like the writer is trying too hard ....
    Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat
    New Avengers
    Mighty Thor

Books that i'm considering of dropping because they are getting too dull for me
    Nova
    All New Inhumans
    Extraordinary X-Men & Uncanny Avengers
    - i like both writers but they are stretching the stories I want to know about for far too long.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    1. Doctor Strange - I wanted to love this book so much but I couldn't stand the characterization of Strange (and even Wong to an extent), disliked the seemingly endless "Last Days of Magic" plot(I dropped at after issue 5 and it look like this is going to go at least to 10), and while I didn't mind the art at first it became very old very fast as it seemed like the artist just kinda had one idea for all the weird mystical stuff and it started to like very samey. Between this and the main Star Wars book Aaron's name has became avoid at all cost for me, unfortunately.

2. Spider-Man 2099 - I only read the first issue of the ANAD run but I did read the previous run, which I really wanted to like but had problems with (the man out of time storyline seemed like a waste especially now with so many spider people around and a whole third of the run being tie-ins to an event I didn't care about). Still in the main universe and not in 2099, now with just a worse costume and some really bad old cliches (I know the apparent fridging of the girlfriend character was actually undone later but none of the writing in the previous 12 issues game me any reason to give them the benefit of the doubt for that).
    I'm gonna second these two. Strange I haven't dropped because I want to support the character, but it's absymal IMO. The characterization is waaay off, the story is predictable and Strange has lost what made him special and is just another mage. I dropped it for one month and then started picking it up again because it's been 2 decades since the lost solo, by it's getting harder and harder to justify having it in my pull when there are so many good books out there. As for 2099, I got tired of the whole "man outta time" thing, and dropped it after issue 5 or so. Plus, I found Miguel irritating since he kept on repeating a certain phrase, which is fine with me, it's just that it felt like he was hammering it down. Still, from the solicits it looks as if he's returning to the future, so I am considering adding it again.

Another series that I didn't mention but let me down immensely, is Silver Surfer. I collected the previous vol from beginning to end, and, even though I didn't love it, it was kinda entertaining and so i decided to stick with it. The new one though? It took all the irritating parts and cranked them up to 11. More Dawn, this time even more of a bitch, more of her relationship with the Surfer, even more quirkiness and in general even more "Slott-ness". I am open to new things, but this was as far removed from anything Surfer related I've read as it could get. I cancelled it a while ago and haven't looked back since.

You know, it's kinda funny. The characters I love all have mediocre to bad series (Iron Man, Spider-Man, Strange, Surfer), but books with characters that I kinda like, say, the Ultimates (I only really liked T'Challa) from there, are damn great. Still, I didn't hate TASM like many others, so may add it again next month, when I cancel Dark Souls 9the first issue was a massive let down, and I don't use that word lightly).