Default Great runs that are cheap to buy in back issues

Hi! I'm sorta new to comics and I like buying back issues. Seems the that the best runs are often priced higher though. What are some great runs of comics that are generally priced low?

Thanks for your help!

BANNED

What characters do you like?

Most of DC really. I can't think of a character I dislike enough to not buy their stories. If the story is good and the art is good, I'll enjoy reading it! I guess maybe I don't like characters that are super jokey like Plastic Man. Even so, I'm very open minded and willing to try anything!

BANNED

http://www.instocktrades.com/

check this out. Most trades are 40% off cover price.
    Spend 50 bucks and shipping is free.

Out of date with price of physical comics, I 'm a comixology convert.

But buys I made in recent years that I though were ridiculously cheap:-

1/ Any of the great John Ostrander runs...for example, his runs on Suicide Squad (nb make sure you get the Janus Directive tie-ins), Hawkworld, subsequent Hawkman run, Spectre, Martian Manhunter. DC's best high volume writer in recent decades.

2/ Mike Grell run on Green Arrow.

Also worth looking at Gotham Central and Hitman prices...these at one time were relatively expensive, but comic prices may have come down now both series are available in trade. But worth paying slightly over the odds for either of these series, they are both exceptionally good.

Hey Jack,

Thanks for this! Looks like recent back issues are about half the cover price. But older back issues are more... ? Weird pricing. Back issues are still generally cheaper than Ebay because of shipping costs (I'm in Canada). but I think most comic stores would sell for a little cheaper but the drawback is selection and acces (what you want is not always in stock, and you have to travel there to get it). There is a convenience factor with comixology. It allows me to catch up stories quickly without clogging up my physical collection. Comixology also saves time shopping. You don't have to wait for books either, you just search, buy, read within minutes.

Not an easy decision. Thanks for the arc recommends. Will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Hey Jack,

Thanks for this! Looks like recent back issues are about half the cover price. But older back issues are more... ? Weird pricing. Back issues are still generally cheaper than Ebay because of shipping costs (I'm in Canada). but I think most comic stores would sell for a little cheaper but the drawback is selection and acces (what you want is not always in stock, and you have to travel there to get it). There is a convenience factor with comixology. It allows me to catch up stories quickly without clogging up my physical collection. Comixology also saves time shopping. You don't have to wait for books either, you just search, buy, read within minutes.

Not an easy decision. Thanks for the arc recommends. Will look into it.
    I expect DogWelder will be back at some point to at least confirm how good the Hitman run is.

As I plodded into town, I thought about other long DC runs where almost everybody thinks are good that might be available at a good price. The obvious one is probably the James Robinson Starman run. Apart from the Shade mini he did later, this is maybe the only outstanding DC work James did (personally I like quite a lot of his non-DC work). But for me this is up there with Hitman as the best DC run in last 30 years. A much more conventional heroic story than Hitman...but very, very good...and at 80 issues long, a good long read.

If you like Geoff Johns work (and plenty do), then you might well find his JSA run available at a good price. I did...got it for an average of about 2 dollars a comic. I didn't like it as much as the other stuff I mentioned...but I'm not a fan of this writer. And even I liked it enough to read it twice, before selling it for a small profit.

Meant to mention before that when I bought physical copies got my stuff from 3 main sources...e bay auctions, a market stall that was a few hundred yards from where I worked and mycomicshop.com.

The latter (mycomicshop.com) has a wide variety of old comics at reasonable prices, and they always treated me well.

Mind you...two years since I bought anything, and things can change in 2 years. But just looked at price of issues in James Robinson Starman run on their site. They have large majority of run in, at an average cost of around a dollar and a half. Believe...that is what is called "a bargain"....it's an outstanding series.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 04-24-2016 at 11:27 AM.