Page 48 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    So, I'm not really a huge fan of Avengers Assemble, but having caught a few episodes, they very loosely adapted parts of Aaron's run by having Jane briefly become the new Thor and wield Mjolnir. However, to avoid sidelining the original, the writers gave Mjolnir back to Thor, but then gave Jane an enchanted mace and had her take the name Thunderstrike.

If Jane's death isn't quite what it seems, anyone else thinking the comics might attempt something similar? I honestly thought that was where they were going with Ultimate Mjolnir, but that turned out to be a big misdirect on Aaron's part.
    I'll say. They couldn't even get her Thor personality or voice right.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I somehow doubt it. The TV show being primarily episodic had a requirement to keep the status quo and wasn’t really exploring the same themes as Aaron.
    Can't say that's much different from the comics at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, cartoon Jane didn't have cancer. They actually gave her the long blonde hair even in her civilian form though, unlike in the comics where it was brunette and usually shorter. Also, the cartoon Jane has MCU Jane's backstory as a scientist instead of a nurse.
    She felt more like Sharon Carter then she did Jane Foster.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Can't say that's much different from the comics at this point.
    Children's show specifically isn't really used to the sorts of status quo shakeups you see in comics. The few shows I've ever seen that actually permanently dealt with a character dying or being replaced like that were Young Justice and Batman: The Animated Series (when the revamp had Dick become Nightwing and introduced Tim Drake as the new Robin).

That's actually something I liked about Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. They did a good job of reflecting the penchant for change that the Avengers line-up in the comics traditionally has.

Amazing Member

So how did you guys like the big finale (705)

Upon first read, I liked it quite a bit. Heartfelt and touching. Still letting it all set in and will be re-reading later.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Odinson's going to have some explanations to give out next issue. spoilers:
    The Avengers - or at least Falcon - will need to be informed for starters. Though it's likely that the team hasn't existed since the Mangog arc begun, because of the as-yet unpublished ending of No Surrender. Odin's going to want answers about his son keeping secrets too, since he and Freya know that Thor already knew who the "hammer thief" was. Still, Jane died a hero - and left Thor Odinson changed forever, because it seems that Mjolnir is no more!
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Kingdom is burning to the ground. Wife and son might die.

"I want that hammer."

Perfectly summarizes Odin's characterization this run, or lack there off.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rage.Of.Olympus View Post
    Kingdom is burning to the ground. Wife and son might die.

"I want that hammer."

Perfectly summarizes Odin's characterization this run, or lack there off.
    Yeah that quote really annoyed me. Like seriously odin? The HAMMER!? you just got your ass whooped and you're standing in the middle of your burning kingdom and you want the effing hammer! Why do you even NEED the hammer!?! You're the ALL-FATHER FOR GODS' SAKE!! WHO GIVES A CRAP ABOUT THAT HAMMER, IT BELONGS TO THOR ANYWAY...okay im done. sorry for the rant i just had to let it out

Amazing Member

Odinson's going to have some explanations to give out next issue. spoilers:
    The Avengers - or at least Falcon - will need to be informed for starters. Though it's likely that the team hasn't existed since the Mangog arc begun, because of the as-yet unpublished ending of No Surrender. Odin's going to want answers about his son keeping secrets too, since he and Freya know that Thor already knew who the "hammer thief" was. Still, Jane died a hero - and left Thor Odinson changed forever, because it seems that Mjolnir is no more!
    end of spoilers
    I wonder how Odin and Freyja will react when they see that Jane was thor the entire time

So, I'm not really a huge fan of Avengers Assemble, but having caught a few episodes, they very loosely adapted parts of Aaron's run by having Jane briefly become the new Thor and wield Mjolnir. However, to avoid sidelining the original, the writers gave Mjolnir back to Thor, but then gave Jane an enchanted mace and had her take the name Thunderstrike.

If Jane's death isn't quite what it seems, anyone else thinking the comics might attempt something similar? I honestly thought that was where they were going with Ultimate Mjolnir, but that turned out to be a big misdirect on Aaron's part.

The collection also ranked very high on Amazon.
    Very cool, hopefully Thunderstrike will continue in future cartoon episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    Upon first read, I liked it quite a bit. Heartfelt and touching. Still letting it all set in and will be re-reading later.
    I thought it was a pity she killed herself by separating herself from the hammer... for nothing. The ploy at the end wouldn't take out Mangog, and certainly won't damage the hammer.

In past stories, Odinson has been shown flying through suns/stars multiple times... including in Aaron's own run (three versions of Odinson, including a pre-hammer one, in one story). The number of times Mjolnir has been portrayed getting thrown through them without being at all damaged is even greater. Presumably this level of resistance is included in the power of Thor conferred upon Jane by Mjolnir, and we sure know she can deal with star-level energy from the story with the Shi'ar gods and the 'super comet'. And if the Mighty Thor wouldn't be taken out by going into the sun... then neither should Mangog, who is portrayed as tougher in every way than her, and Odin as well.

I liked the Mighty Thor. Sad to see her end in a sacrifice play that doesn't even win the game.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    I thought it was a pity she killed herself by separating herself from the hammer... for nothing. The ploy at the end wouldn't take out Mangog, and certainly won't damage the hammer.

In past stories, Odinson has been shown flying through suns/stars multiple times... including in Aaron's own run (three versions of Odinson, including a pre-hammer one, in one story). The number of times Mjolnir has been portrayed getting thrown through them without being at all damaged is even greater. Presumably this level of resistance is included in the power of Thor conferred upon Jane by Mjolnir, and we sure know she can deal with star-level energy from the story with the Shi'ar gods and the 'super comet'. And if the Mighty Thor wouldn't be taken out by going into the sun... then neither should Mangog, who is portrayed as tougher in every way than her, and Odin as well.

I liked the Mighty Thor. Sad to see her end in a sacrifice play that doesn't even win the game.
    My take on it too

She died a hero, but it was a poor play imo

I really enjoyed issue #705. It was very touching. I will miss Jane Thor She had a great story that I'm only now just getting completely caught up on.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    If he survives, then Mangog is still trapped. The hammer will stay right in the centre of that Sun. Mangog won't be able to break free of those chains, and so Mjolnir will hold him in place.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Pretty sure the story is not suggesting that Mangog will be killed, just that he will be imprisoned again, just as he has been before. Pretty sure Mjolnir can survive this too, even if it won't be seen again for a while.

I would say this is a sacrifice worth making if it stops Mangog killing every god in the universe one pantheon at a time in the next few weeks.

Every plot ever written in a comic book can be pulled apart and made to fall apart under examination. It isn't hard and it only detracts from the overall enjoyment of the stories to do this. Superhero comics are a pure storytelling medium. They don't have rules, they just happen to be read and sometimes written by people that want to assert their rules upon them. Don't let that happen, lest the joy be lost.

spoilers:
    What Aaron did here is make clear in dialogue that Mangog cannot ever be stopped by anything, that he can survive being thrown into the sun, and even if he died he would probably, return just as he did last time. He can be held, again just as he was last time by magic, teleportation and fire. Just as he was imprisoned by rock when he was less powerful. Just as he was slowed down by molten metal. A slow and clear escalation was shown. Being knocked back by Mjolnir - molten metal - thrown into sun and being badly burned - metal that can't be melted and thrown back into the sun with Mjolnir holding him in place. That's very tight writing.
    end of spoilers

If he survives, then Mangog is still trapped. The hammer will stay right in the centre of that Sun. Mangog won't be able to break free of those chains, and so Mjolnir will hold him in place.
    In this respect it is pretty close to my 'non-prediction' over on the Thor thread. Mjolnir/Mother of Storms wilfully taking itself and Mangog off the board. I must admit I didn't actually expect Mjolnir to survive, or the storm to be still inside it, but that is probably Aaron leaving the next writer down the line with the option of keeping a sentient hammer should they want to use it. Now Mjolnir can come back with or without the storm depending upon the story.

Alternatively, it could be Aaron leaving Mjolnir off-screen so it can come back as the cavalry later on in his story.

P.S. I will open up a discussion thread to avoid all of the spoilers here.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-22-2018 at 05:27 AM.

I don't care for this cartoon that much either. Honestly, the only reason I followed it this year was for Kamala Khan and the promise that Jane Foster would get to be Thor at some point. It was frustrating, waiting until the end of the season to see it. But I like how it was handled. I didn't expect them to go the cancer route. That would be a bit too heavy for a kids show, but I like how it was handled. Both Jane and Thor get to be their own hammer-wielding superhero. Given how sadly it ended in the comics, I gladly accept this.

The show is still awful and I hope it gets canceled to make way for a more proper animated universe. I suspect that once the Fox deal goes through, Disney will finally have an incentive to actually put the X-men and F4 into their cartoons. And whatever the case, I hope Jane Foster gets to have a role in it, with or without the hammer.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.