Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jarnsaxa View Post
    And it's not like Jane isn't going to be making appearances in Thor every month or even getting an occasional issue to herself. Basically, her role in Thor is going to be similar to the one Lois Lane fills in Superman or Catwoman fills in Batman. The next year will be about her battling her cancer, defining her relationship with Thor, and developing mysterious powers. And then we go into next Summer's "War of the Realms" event. She sells too many comic books for Marvel to just let her disappear from print.
    I doubt she will have a significant role for quite a few months. She may get the odd cameo every four or five issues but I don't expect the story to focus on her at a all. We will see.

Mighty Member

How do you all feel about Jane appearing in Asgardians of the Galaxy?

I'd rather keep her out, or if she does appear have it be in a non-powered role. I'd prefer her return to power be its own thing, and a bigger deal.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    Frizb answered before I could. I think he/she laid it out very well. Being worthy is about more than being the big, dramatic hero who swoops in once the damage has already started. Small acts of courage, kindness and sacrifice count too. The major in story reason for Odinson doubting his worthiness runs through the entire JA run and has been broken down in detail in many other places if you're interested.
    Except often enough it was Jane who only came on the scene once the damage had started, and Odinson who engaged in many small acts of kindness throughout the years. Judging strictly on behavior shown in the panels of comic books, I don't see any evidence that he's any less worthy.

I'm not being coy or evasive, honestly, but those questions and topics have been explored for years now in the run, and are continuing to be explored. I don't have the inclination to do a deep breakdown of the run personally, but if you're interested in some exploration of the work I'd recommend reading the posts by JKtheMac here. He/she lays out the themes, context and continuity very well in my opinion. There are also several dissenting posters who make good counter arguments.
    One problem with that... everything good and worthy Odinson was shown to do before Aaron counts too.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    This thread is nothing to do with Odinson's worthiness issues. It is specifically ruled off-topic by the opening post:

If you're a fan of Thor, and want to talk about her without having to come across responses about how she's poorly written, forced, a disgrace, etc, then this is the place for you.

This may be relatively unique for an appreciation thread, but we like it as a place to discuss Jane as Thor outside of the wider issues of the run. There are other threads about the run as a whole, the logic of worthiness, and a general Thor appreciation thread.
    Hmmm. No. Because saying Odinson is worthy is not bashing Thor.

Extraordinary Member

I liked the way they wrote here battling the Shi'ar creeps
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

How do you all feel about Jane appearing in Asgardians of the Galaxy?

I'd rather keep her out, or if she does appear have it be in a non-powered role. I'd prefer her return to power be its own thing, and a bigger deal.

Thoughts?
    No. I know people have said she might be Destroyer's pilot, but I think Sera's more likely - Angela's girlfriend. At the moment, Jane should just be concentrating on her cancer treatment. I would expect that to be done and her powers somehow restored just before or during next year's War of the Realms event. If she appears at all, it should be in Thor.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    One problem with that... everything good and worthy Odinson was shown to do before Aaron counts too.
    Yes, I agree. He was worthy for a long time, and then he wasn't and had a very hard time dealing with that fact. Just the fact that he is now "Unworthy Thor" acknowledges that he has been worthy in the past. He's not Never Worthy, he's not currently worthy. He's on the upswing though, and we're solidly in the third act of his worthiness story imo.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No. I know people have said she might be Destroyer's pilot, but I think Sera's more likely - Angela's girlfriend. At the moment, Jane should just be concentrating on her cancer treatment. I would expect that to be done and her powers somehow restored just before or during next year's War of the Realms event. If she appears at all, it should be in Thor.
    I agree. I would even go further and prefer to see her return in a new Mighty Thor #1. There's lots of ways to do it, and I'm ok with quite a few of them. The main thing I'd like is that it gets treated like a big deal and a big hero returning... because it is, to a lot of people. Although on the flip side, not having Jane play a part in winning (or ending, more likely) the War of Realms might be kind of odd.

Yes, I agree. He was worthy for a long time, and then he wasn't and had a very hard time dealing with that fact. Just the fact that he is now "Unworthy Thor" acknowledges that he has been worthy in the past. He's not Never Worthy, he's not currently worthy. He's on the upswing though, and we're solidly in the third act of his worthiness story imo.
    The problem with that is, if it's well established he was worthy, it still makes no sense for the whisper to make him no longer worthy. What unworthy thing did he actually do, or worthy thing did he fail to do? If there is no answer to that question, and I don't see one in any of the published stories, then it still makes no sense for him to have ever been unable to pick up the hammer.

Because hearing "Gorr was right" should only have an impact if it is true of Thor personally, not gods in general... but if that's true, then he was never worthy and able to pick up Mjolnir.

I agree. I would even go further and prefer to see her return in a new Mighty Thor #1. There's lots of ways to do it, and I'm ok with quite a few of them. The main thing I'd like is that it gets treated like a big deal and a big hero returning... because it is, to a lot of people. Although on the flip side, not having Jane play a part in winning (or ending, more likely) the War of Realms might be kind of odd.
    I would actually expect War of the Realms to be Aaron's conclusion. After that Odinson and maybe Jane as well would get a new #1.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Hmmm. No. Because saying Odinson is worthy is not bashing Thor.
    It is nothing to do with this thread to analyse the treatment of Odinson in Jane’s comic.

I would actually expect War of the Realms to be Aaron's conclusion. After that Odinson and maybe Jane as well would get a new #1.
    Indeed I don’t expect him to stay on Thor after that. He would have been on the title for an incredibly long run by that time (presumably autumn of 2019).

BANNED

I'm so sick of new #1's. Often a price jump too, which drives me nuts. Why not just continue the run w/ a new creative team?

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I'm so sick of new #1's. Often a price jump too, which drives me nuts. Why not just continue the run w/ a new creative team?
    As others may have said.. and the way I view it.. is this seems to be the third act of Aaron's run. With Ribic, Dauterman, and now Del Mundo to close it out. I'm honestly excited to read today's issue and see where it goes.