Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Okay, thanks for answering all my newbie questions. Appreciate it Now looking forward to getting into Mighty Thor, looks very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooah View Post
    Okay, thanks for answering all my newbie questions. Appreciate it Now looking forward to getting into Mighty Thor, looks very interesting!
    I hope you do. I certainly think it is. It has lots of hidden depths too which will hopefully have you intrigued as to what went on before.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I hope you do. I certainly think it is. It has lots of hidden depths too which will hopefully have you intrigued as to what went on before.
    It's what I've read about the storytelling that initially draw me in. That and the Norse mythology altogether, well and of course the re-imagining of a female Thor? If I do find myself intrigued as you say, I hope I can continue discovering the past in other good trades

I just ordered all of the trades in the essential list I know what's next to read for a while!

A different idea occurred to me surrounding Jane's seemingly inevitable death. Not 'how can they kill this character?' or 'if she cheats death...'

My wife, a cancer nurse (although now mostly a teacher of nurses) often talks about the negative impact on patients and wards when a high profile battle against cancer is lost. A celebrity or a prominent charity campaigner. Presumably it is empowering to see somebody else battling publicly against the disease you share, or know people going through similar things. Whereas on the flip side it can be disheartening or at least a mood changing experience when that person dies.

The letter columns include such accounts, regarding Mighty Thor as do the occasional posts on this forum. Indeed this month a reader talks about wanting Jane to win against cancer while simultaneously knowing she will not win that particular battle. People are clearly very resilient and unlikely to have their entire attitude or outlook changed because of a comic book, but I imagine some will find it emotional and close to home. Many of us have at least some experience of this disease amongst friends and family.

This makes me wonder if Aaron will feel the need to address this in an afterword. He has talked about his own emotional reaction while writing it and when receiving the art work back. It also makes me wonder how individuals for which this book does resonate on a very personal level are finding the book, or will approach the ending.

BANNED

good luck to mr Dauterman, hopefully he will continue with marvel projects.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hooah View Post
    I just ordered all of the trades in the essential list I know what's next to read for a while!
    Theres a lot of good stuff there

BANNED

Mighty Thor #705 preview

BANNED

So, I'm not really a huge fan of Avengers Assemble, but having caught a few episodes, they very loosely adapted parts of Aaron's run by having Jane briefly become the new Thor and wield Mjolnir. However, to avoid sidelining the original, the writers gave Mjolnir back to Thor, but then gave Jane an enchanted mace and had her take the name Thunderstrike.

If Jane's death isn't quite what it seems, anyone else thinking the comics might attempt something similar? I honestly thought that was where they were going with Ultimate Mjolnir, but that turned out to be a big misdirect on Aaron's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Once again, Mighty Thor ranks just below Batman in digital sales.

The collection also ranked very high on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    So, I'm not really a huge fan of Avengers Assemble, but having caught a few episodes, they very loosely adapted parts of Aaron's run by having Jane briefly become the new Thor and wield Mjolnir. However, to avoid sidelining the original, the writers gave Mjolnir back to Thor, but then gave Jane an enchanted mace and had her take the name Thunderstrike.

If Jane's death isn't quite what it seems, anyone else thinking the comics might attempt something similar?
    I somehow doubt it. The TV show being primarily episodic had a requirement to keep the status quo and wasn’t really exploring the same themes as Aaron.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post

Wow! This is looking incredible!

the art is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I somehow doubt it. The TV show being primarily episodic had a requirement to keep the status quo and wasn’t really exploring the same themes as Aaron.
    Yeah, cartoon Jane didn't have cancer. They actually gave her the long blonde hair even in her civilian form though, unlike in the comics where it was brunette and usually shorter. Also, the cartoon Jane has MCU Jane's backstory as a scientist instead of a nurse.

It's worth pointing out that Ultimate Thor did die once and later came back from Valhalla - though someone had to take his place. So there is a way back for Jane if they choose. It definitely won't happen immediately though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman