Page 15 of 62 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
    Here are some Jane Thor rumors

spoilers:
    Jane Foster dying was always the end-game with the storyline, but the positive response with female fans means they’re trying to find a way to make her stick around. Tentatively planning to make her the new Valkyrie as the movie version is a blank slate
    end of spoilers

Classic thor stuff take with a grain of salt
    spoilers:
    Classic Thor will be space-bound for awhile. Definitely through “Ragnarok
    end of spoilers
    The latter rumor I can totally believe. As for the former...I'm a bit half and half on, but we'll see.

BANNED

The finished cover to Mighty Thor #21, out next week.

BANNED

Jane is in a complicated situation, concerning her future.

Her struggle with cancer has been pivotal to her being such great character, as has her human self. If she were to continue being Thor, with Jane Foster essentially dying, something would be lost as the last issue said as much.

If she's magically cured, that too I feel would be going against her story.

I think it's clear from Thor: God of Thunder #25, and references to Jane's future in Mighty Thor, that the original plan was for her to die, to have a finite story, but as others have pointed out, she's become too popular for Marvel to just retire her. For comparison, her book sells thousands more copies than Mile's Spider-Man book, and Miles is considered a good example of a legacy character that has made it big.

I want her to continue on as Thor, but Marvel will have to be very careful with how they handle her future.

I just think she came about for story reasons, and will die for story reasons. You look at the story being told, and the signs are there from early on that this is meant to be a tragedy. And she just can't last much longer with her chemo not working. I dunno if anyone else here has ever known anyone that has gone through terminal cancer, but I have, a friend of the family died of cancer just a few weeks ago, actually. He went from apparently in good health (though unbeknownst to him with a tumor growing in his brain, it was not caught until it had already begun to spread) to dead in less than a year, and the last 3 months or so were... really bad. I know every case is a bit different, not every cancer is the same, (hell, I've had skin cancer, but it was taken care of easily, leaving nothing more than a scar, but mine was a basal cell carcinoma, if you had to get cancer but could pick the type, that's the one you should pick, since it is extremely unlikely to metastasize and spread even if it isn't removed) But if it does metastasize, which Jane's has, they really can't last for long once it reaches a certain point, and she is pushing it as it is. I know in the MU, there are always handwave options like magic, but Jane has already refused them, and to go back on that now would weaken the character and cheapen the story.

To put it another way, I just don't think that Jane-Thor was created to to fill some sort of quota or check a box, as much as some people like to claim that. If that was the case, and she was made Thor simply because Marvel wanted a strong female character in Asgard, it would have been easier to, you know, not give her a terminal disease. That wasn't a plot point Aaron inherited, it was one he created, during his run on God of Thunder. Or just use Sif or Valkyrie or someone, if it's just about ticking boxes, and wasn't about the story. (but it IS about the story, so they actually wouldn't work here) And though she ended up popular, probably more popular than they expected, I don't think popularity will sway their decision much. It's not like Marvel hasn't killed off characters that were popular before. Editorial may want to keep her around because she is popular on some level, and i do think it has probably bought her some extra time. But I also don't think they would force Jason Aaron to abandon the ending to the story he had planned and has been working towards for literally years.

Now, regardless of how she dies, she has been brave, so I am sure she will go to Valhalla, so it's likely we can see her again among the Einherjar. (if it were me, I'd have her die of cancer, and then have Odinson argue that she still died bravely, and her fight with cancer was a 'battle' so she should be allowed) Nice thing about Asgard stuff is that it's actually not that big a deal to visit the afterlife from time to time.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-11-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I just think she came about for story reasons, and will die for story reasons. You look at the story being told, and the signs are there from early on that this is meant to be a tragedy. And she just can't last much longer with her chemo not working. I dunno if anyone else here has ever known anyone that has gone through terminal cancer, but I have, a friend of the family died of cancer just a few weeks ago, actually. He went from apparently in good health (though unbeknownst to him with a tumor growing in his brain, it was not caught until it had already begun to spread) to dead in less than a year, and the last 3 months or so were... really bad. I know every case is a bit different, not every cancer is the same, (hell, I've had skin cancer, but it was taken care of easily, leaving nothing more than a scar, but mine was a basal cell carcinoma, if you had to get cancer but could pick the type, that's the one you should pick, since it is extremely unlikely to metastasize and spread even if it isn't removed) But if it does metastasize, which Jane's has, they really can't last for long once it reaches a certain point, and she is pushing it as it is. I know in the MU, there are always handwave options like magic, but Jane has already refused them, and to go back on that now would weaken the character and cheapen the story.

To put it another way, I just don't think that Jane-Thor was created to to fill some sort of quota or check a box, as much as some people like to claim that. If that was the case, and she was made Thor simply because Marvel wanted a strong female character in Asgard, it would have been easier to, you know, not give her a terminal disease. That wasn't a plot point Aaron inherited, it was one he created, during his run on God of Thunder. Or just use Sif or Valkyrie or someone, if it's just about ticking boxes, and wasn't about the story. (but it IS about the story, so they actually wouldn't work here) And though she ended up popular, probably more popular than they expected, I don't think popularity will sway their decision much. It's not like Marvel hasn't killed off characters that were popular before. Editorial may want to keep her around because she is popular on some level, and i do think it has probably bought her some extra time. But I also don't think they would force Jason Aaron to abandon the ending to the story he had planned and has been working towards for literally years.

Now, regardless of how she dies, she has been brave, so I am sure she will go to Valhalla, so it's likely we can see her again among the Einherjar. (if it were me, I'd have her die of cancer, and then have Odinson argue that she still died bravely, and her fight with cancer was a 'battle' so she should be allowed) Nice thing about Asgard stuff is that it's actually not that big a deal to visit the afterlife from time to time.
    Very well said, Raye. I like to think that Marvel will let Aaron stick to the story he's been telling, movie tie-ins be damned. As you've said, it would cheapen the whole thing entirely if Jane were to get an instant comic book resurrection after everything that's happened. I'm happy that she's come to be popular and all, but Marvel will need to be very careful with how they ultimately respond to that popularity.

Jane is so popular, that they're using her on the Avengers cartoon. They omitted the cancer story there though, and changed her civilian design to include Thor's long blonde hair (Jane's hair was usually shorter and brunette in the comics before she went bald from the chemo). With Odinson captured (along with all the other original Avengers) and Mjolnir apparently blasting off on it's own volition into the sky (to the moon?) it looks like she'll actually become Thor, and an All-New All-Different Avenger, by the end of the season. Of course, by then, ironically, if the original plans are stuck to, she'll be gone from the comics.

The only way I see that they can keep her around is if, upon her death, she gets sent to Valhalla (Viking heaven, remember), hammer and all. Meanwhile, her mortal body drops dead, and Odinson reclaims Mjolnir. After an arc or two (that could easily be a full year), he'll get into a struggle with some enemy... and then someone throws a second Mjolnir, scoring the win. That someone would be Jane, returned to the mortal realm. She would no longer have the time limit on staying as Thor without the hammer, and in her civilian form would be returned to her fully healthy, pre-cancer and pre-chemo state. Her continued existence being her reward for her willingness to sacrifice herself.

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    I've considered Jane Foster as a Valkyrie before. Surely Hela has the means to cure her cancer and prevent her death right? And in return, Jane must give up Mjolnir and become one of the Valkyries. Give her an enchanted sword or spear, or maybe even a new hammer made from Hela's magic. Feature Valkyrie (Brunnhilde), Angela and perhaps Dani Moonstar, and there we have an awesome dynamic and a means of keeping Jane Foster around, whilst still giving Odinson back Mjolnir.

Alternatively, what could the Odinsleep do for Jane Foster? And if cured of her cancer, could Jane perhaps wield Gungnir instead of Mjolnir?
    Why not craft a new hammer for her? She's obviously worthy of wielding Mjolnir, so if at the end she "dies" and is brought back, she could have a hammer of her own created. Beta Ray Bill has his own. And there's Ultimate Mjolnir around too. She doesn't seem the sword type to me after wielding the hammer so effectively. And my concern about the sword thing, is that there are so many already with a sword, that instead of being unique as she is now, she'd become just "another one" and fade into the background.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

I agree, that she wasn't put in the role of Thor to check off boxes, but because Aaron's story was developed as such. It's been all part of his grand story. I do also agree that Jane became much more popular as Thor than what Marvel had expected. Now, this becomes the difficult part. As a business, you want to maintain the popular aspects for as long as you can to continue to have cash flow. It's normal for a business. So when you kill off something that's bringing attention and money to you, you need to have a plan to fill that gap of what you'll be losing. With Jane as Thor they have a hit that has grown in popularity with readers, male and female, and is now spreading to other mediums...Avengers cartoon. Do you throw that away, and go back to the previous status quo and look for new sources of income and attention, or do you find ways to keep her in the spotlight to expand on the popularity and move forward to new realms (no pun) of media, attention and income?

It's definitely not going to be easy for Marvel. I've been hooked since Aaron took over Thor and have been really liked Jane being Thor. She's brought a new perspective to the hammer wielder. And I see no reason there cannot be two major characters in the MU who wield a hammer. Jane and Odinson can both carry on their own stories and expand the power of Asgard. I'm looking forward to how this story plays out and what new developments come from the Legacy issue.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

Astonishing Member

Well that's your opinion about part of Jane's opinion not being part of a push towards diverse character. But the fact that both her and Captain America Sam Wilson came out at around the same time and both were advertised on television as part of a diversity initiative pretty much confirms to me that part of her creation was indeed due to increasing diversity. And just to clarify, there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with diversity being considered when you make you stories and being a founding section as to why you're creating the character. No one is saying that it was the sole reason it was created, but that it was indeed an integral part of her creation. And it was do to that diverse push, along with excellent art and storytelling, as to why she's the success that she is. (Hence why Marvel's female audience has increase drastically due to successful hits of Wolverine, Thor, and more)

So I do believe that Jane's story maybe finite, no doubt about that. But I definitely don't believe that The Mighty Thor's story is going to stop there. As mentioned before, if that was the case, she would have been completely left out of the banner that was meant to illustrate which characters would continue going further post legacy. Which she clearly wasn't.

So the key question is going to be, are they going to stick with Thor going forward by herself as a magical construct after her body dies, or will she be resurrected after her death, because I don't think Marvel is going to not allow her to die at all.

Both Aaron and Remender have said in interviews, repeatedly, that they came up with the ideas for Jane as Thor and Sam as Cap independently of one another, and it wasn't something they were told to do as a part of a diversity push, they were just part of the story they were telling. I tend to take them at face value on that. Did Marvel take advantage of these stories in order to try and attract a new group of readers by promoting them? Of course, why wouldn't they? But I don't think that promotion or attracting a new audience was the reason for their creation.

And if she is replaced by a "magical construct" that just looks and acts like her then, I mean, she still died. That is like replacing a character with a LMD, you can do that, and in fact Marvel has done that, but at their core it's not really the same character anymore.

As for the legacy banner, we have heard some rumors already that Legacy is actually only a short little stop gap initiative. They had Aaron's one-shot and the Generations stuff and i guess decided to use it to get a bit of a bump before the for real big shakeup happened. It kind of backfired because they overstated it's immediate impact, but still. it is entirely possible that Jane's death will take a full arc of Thor, not like they would kill her the very first issue, and that will allow her to also appear in Avengers while Waid wraps up before (it is rumored) Aaron and Ribic take over with a new team. It is quite likely that team will include a Thor, since looking at the rumored creative team, it seems likely they will be doing a modern day version of the team from a million years ago in Legacy. But it is no guarantee that will be Jane.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Uh, that team has the Phoenix on it. You think teen Jean Grey will become an Avenger?

maybe! I mean, Uncanny Avengers has Rogue, and Beast has been associated with the Avengers off and on, so why not? But there are also Rachel and Quentin Quire to consider (and we know Aaron really likes Quentin. but on the other hand Teen Jean is dealing with Phoenix stuff right now... and the team would have no ladies if it was Quentin, and assuming Jane does die)

Seems to me like IF this happens, it is still just speculation at this point, there will be some familiar faces in the roles, like Black Panther and Iron Fist, and some new ones, like Loki (who is apparently the new Sorcerer Supreme) and a few kind of up in the air at the moment, like could go either way with Thor, who could be either Odinson or War Thor if that is a lasting thing, or maybe I am wrong about Jane. and Ghost Rider.... though I strongly suspect Aaron would go for Johnny Blaze.

In any case, it will be a super heavy hitting team... Possibly it will be kind of taking over the concept of Ultimates, since that never really found an audience for some reason, and Black Panther is there to kind of bridge the gap.
    Last edited by Raye; 07-11-2017 at 02:53 PM.

the team would have no ladies if it was Quentin, and assuming Jane does die)
    And assuming Wasp also left the team.

Like Jean, Rachel and Quentin are already in use in one of the X books. I suppose Hope Summers is possible. Using her probably wouldn't spoil the X office's plans.

Johnny Blaze would also be double dutying if he joined, as he's on the new Spirits of Vengeance team.

BANNED

THE MIGHTY THOR #700
    JASON AARON (W) • RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
    WRAPAROUND Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN
    DEATH OF THE MIGHTY THOR Part 1

The final judgement comes as the Mangog arrives! The War Thor will meet the beast head on. But even the bloodthirst of this Ultimate Thor may pale in comparison to the might of the Mangog! The battle rages as Jane’s cancer takes a turn for the worse, and she might not have to wait for the final judgment at all. The clock is ticking, and no hammer can save her this time. It’s the beginning of the end that will lead to the most dramatic return in the Marvel Universe!
    Credit to juan678 for posting the cover image to Mighty Thor #700.

This was posted in Odinson's thread: