Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859606162 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    How do we define capability of worshipping gods, and when exactly is "around One Billion Years BC" the rounding error could be in the thousands of years.

They are both gods created by man and an alien race of beings with mythic qualities. That is comics.
    This is just too far fetched. You are suggesting that naked, language less proto-human primates dreamed up ideas about gods they WOULD worship, complete with language and technology they would eventually possess, and that these dreams manifested as beings who would then guide humans towards that end?

I know you are fond of "timey-wimey" paradoxes, but that isn't just a bootstrap, it's a straight jacket
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

It is impossible to imagine Aaron wasn't at least thinking about The Death of Captain Marvel for various reasons. But they are very different stories. In the case of Starlin’s story it represented a palpable feeling of frustration that mankind couldn’t get its act together to live up to a key promise of modernity so expected in the previous decades.

Captain Marvel and Thor are inexorably linked as concepts. That basic idea of swapping personalities was in Thor's DNA from the start. Even though that idea was minimised it keeps coming back. As Jane brings up here - Jane and Beta-Ray need the hammer to transform into Thor. Odinson was born Thor.

The differences are more striking than the similarities.

Mar-Vell was fatally poisoned in the line of duty. Jane seems to have just randomly got cancer like so many do.
    As a small aside, didn't her mother have it as well in the flashback story?
    Last edited by brettc1; 04-27-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Yeah, Jane's mother died of cancer, we saw that a couple of issues ago.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Jane's mother died of cancer, we saw that a couple of issues ago.
    That's what I remembered. So her having cancer is not entirely random. She is facing the same trial her mother did.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I was more surprised she was resurrected just as Jane.
    Was she? Remember that little super-heavy piece of Mjolnir that Jane was carrying around with her like it was a pebble? The one that Thor Odinson could barely lift? If Jane is just going to be normal human Jane Foster then Marvel just did the same thing as canceling one of their best selling books for nothing. They didn't even kill her at the end so having her just hanging out as cancer patient Jane Foster would be odd. The thing that I'm wondering is what happened to the Mother Storm after it was used to get Jane's heart beating again? Did Thor and Odin use all its power to revive Jane or did they infuse her with the storm's energy in the same way that the storm had been locked in the hammer? Aaron's writing, to this point, has implied that the Mother Storm is a cosmic entity not dissimilar to the Phoenix Force and that Mjolnir was just its host. Well, that cosmic entity disappeared right afer Jane came back to life. It just seems to me that Jason Aaron put too much effort into writing about the Mother Storm to just use it as a cosmic defibrillator.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the new Thor comic as there are a lot of unanswered questions where Jane's future is concerned. How much has Odin's stance on her and Thor's relationship changed given the fact that she single-handedly saved Asgard? Given Thor's reaction to almost losing her, how has their relationship changed? How long is Marvel going to wait before they give her another solo title?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jarnsaxa View Post
    Was she? Remember that little super-heavy piece of Mjolnir that Jane was carrying around with her like it was a pebble? The one that Thor Odinson could barely lift? If Jane is just going to be normal human Jane Foster then Marvel just did the same thing as canceling one of their best selling books for nothing. They didn't even kill her at the end so having her just hanging out as cancer patient Jane Foster would be odd. The thing that I'm wondering is what happened to the Mother Storm after it was used to get Jane's heart beating again? Did Thor and Odin use all its power to revive Jane or did they infuse her with the storm's energy in the same way that the storm had been locked in the hammer? Aaron's writing, to this point, has implied that the Mother Storm is a cosmic entity not dissimilar to the Phoenix Force and that Mjolnir was just its host. Well, that cosmic entity disappeared right afer Jane came back to life. It just seems to me that Jason Aaron put too much effort into writing about the Mother Storm to just use it as a cosmic defibrillator.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the new Thor comic as there are a lot of unanswered questions where Jane's future is concerned. How much has Odin's stance on her and Thor's relationship changed given the fact that she single-handedly saved Asgard? Given Thor's reaction to almost losing her, how has their relationship changed? How long is Marvel going to wait before they give her another solo title?
    Some great questions... I see Odin continuing his newfound respect. As for Odinson and Jane, I would like to see a period of him wanting to be in a relationship with Jane, and Jane resisting. It would be cool to see a reversal of the dynamic, to see Odinson pining after the (once) powerful and worthy God of Thunder. I can see a lot of funny teasing about who the better Thor was. I don't see Marvel waiting long. I wouldn't be surprised to see a solicit in next month's previews. As you pointed out, Mighty Thor was not only one of Marvel's best selling titles, it was one of their most critically acclaimed also.

The Gates of Valhalla one shot should answer the question. It was solicited as a tribute to her, the cover shows Odinson at a statue of her. Since she's not dead though, Jane herself will probably be the main focus of the issue.

And yeah, it won't be long before she becomes the All-New All-Different Thunderstrike. That's what the cartoon did so that Avengers season 5 can have both Thors. The last episode of season 4 included a scene where they passed Mjolnir to each other during a fight against Loki, before Jane got her own hammer given by Odin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Gates of Valhalla one shot should answer the question. It was solicited as a tribute to her, the cover shows Odinson at a statue of her. Since she's not dead though, Jane herself will probably be the main focus of the issue.

And yeah, it won't be long before she becomes the All-New All-Different Thunderstrike. That's what the cartoon did so that Avengers season 5 can have both Thors. The last episode of season 4 included a scene where they passed Mjolnir to each other during a fight against Loki, before Jane got her own hammer given by Odin.
    I'll take the bet now. I don't think Jane will ever be Thunderstrike in the comics.

Astonishing Member

I'll take the bet now. I don't think Jane will ever be Thunderstrike in the comics.
    I agree

I think it highly unlikely

She may not be called Thunderstrike but I do think the shot of Ultimate Mjolnir's pieces in the end wasn't a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    She may not be called Thunderstrike but I do think the shot of Ultimate Mjolnir's pieces in the end wasn't a coincidence.
    Well, I guess it wouldn't be off-base to dub her the "Ultimate Thor" .

I kind of wonder if Marvel Animation just came up with using "Thunderstrike" on their own, had to get approval from Marvel for it, or were told to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I guess it wouldn't be off-base to dub her the "Ultimate Thor" .

I kind of wonder if Marvel Animation just came up with using "Thunderstrike" on their own, had to get approval from Marvel for it, or were told to use it.
    It’s probably a strategic piece of IP usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It is certainly a potential story seed but I very much doubt Jane would want to be War Thor. She has seen the huge negatives that this choice might lead towards.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-02-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I'm glad Jane didn't die, especially just to provide more emotional heft to someone else's story.

I think a point of the run is that Odinson has to learn to define himself and earn a worthiness apart from the hammer.
    But why is Thor unworthy? Everything Jane did, saving people, and inspiring people, did Thor not do that for far longer?

This worthiness story literally makes no sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    But why is Thor unworthy? Everything Jane did, saving people, and inspiring people, did Thor not do that for far longer?

Agreed

It's just nonsense, unless the magic has been altered

Which I like the idea of just as little

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post

Absolutely Odinson had done it much longer, but I don't think that is the point. The Gods were accused of only do so when it was convenient basically. They weren't doing EVERYTHING they could to answer as many prayers as possible. You could easily substitute Gods with Marvel Heroes in this instance. Over the last few years the Marvel heroes have been too busy bickering amongst each other instead of doing their job. I think that was the main purpose of bringing in the "new" heroes like Jane. To remind the real heroes why they are here. Also, I think both Thors will be around. When Odinson couldn't handle the Mother Storm on his own, Odin said something like "but many Thors can". Hence, there's enough Mother Storm to go around. I think a mangled Mjolnir will return from the sun to merge with the Uru piece to form the new hammer (and arm). I dig it.