Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default How will New 52 Superman return?

Simple, post your ideas on how he'll come back. I know its harder to theorize at the moment since we don't actually know yet how Final Days ends, but hey, be imaginative.

I'm now leaning toward the idea that he appears to categorically die and leave a body behind. His skin goes green and all, reminiscent to the imaginary tale and original Death of Superman in Superman #149. Much like his pre-FP counterpart though, The Eradicator will restore Superman using his abilities and technology. He shows up initially as a villain because he's antagonistic toward Superdad and Superboy; on one hand they're from an alternate Krypton and thus in his eyes abominations, and also Jon is a half breed, also an abomination. Later though it'll be shown he's been working in the meantime to revive the "true" Last Son of Krypton.

I'm thinking it will be something in line with this because I'm becoming more convinced that this might actually be marketed as a spiritual sequel to Reign of the Supermen. And with Jurgens penning it he'll likely rely heavily on this old ideas. Since, you know, he doesn't really have any new ones, heh.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-24-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

That idea certainly has merit. But I think they'll do more of an inversion of the RotS. I think they could be a good chance that Superdad sacrifices himself somehow to revive Superman, for the good of the world and, by extension, his family.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    That idea certainly has merit. But I think they'll do more of an inversion of the RotS. I think they could be a good chance that Superdad sacrifices himself somehow to revive Superman, for the good of the world and, by extension, his family.
    That would so beat the ending he got in grounded. I won't lie, I do like New 52 Superman, but Grounded was torture for me to read through, and honestly, Pre52 could get better ending than that. IDK, maybe they will make Pre52 get the All-Star treatment, and not N52.

But here is my speculation, N52 ends up going into the Sun itself. Nobody is sure if he survived that, even in the New52, a nuclear blast turned him into a zombie appearance, so it would not be beyond logical to think him dead. I also had the wierd thought that Superman gives up being Sun God to revive Kal-L, but then again the roles may be opposite my speculation.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

My answer, he wont.

Or if he does perhaps he will take on a new identity, Power man perhaps?
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Well, if Jurgens is writing it, it'll probably go something like this: "I can't come back! You're just too awesome! I officially allow you to take my place forever! Anyone who loved me has to love you more!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I would ask why superdad has to sacrifice himself, it would be impliying he can't do the superman job and can't protect his own family

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

No clue honestly. Gotta wait for more super league issues before I can come up with a theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I would ask why superdad has to sacrifice himself, it would be impliying he can't do the superman job and can't protect his own family
    Still thinking about how his power is waning. If, after Super League, that stops being a problem for him, then I don't know. Honestly, we gotta wait till this story ends and (maybe) for Rebirth to begin before we can make any solid predictions.

Him dying would certainly make a hell of a lot more sense than killing off New 52 Superman, but I still think they'll want to play with the two Superman concept ultimately. I'm guessing the power fluctuations could stop after Last Days, if he gets a power boost from Superman's excess energies.

Him disappearing into the sun in a final solar flare or something could make a lot of sense. The initial theories I had of the Phantom Zone or going to the future seems more unlikely now with how heavy-handed they're playing the no-hope scenario. Makes me think they at least want to give the illusion of death. A complete lack of trace of him in the sun, with maybe a nod to the reader that he's still in there, would suffice.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-24-2016 at 04:37 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Him dying would certainly make a hell of a lot more sense than killing off New 52 Superman, but I still think they'll want to play with the two Superman concept ultimately. I'm guessing the power fluctuations could stop after Last Days, if he gets a power boost from Superman's excess energies.

Him disappearing into the sun in a final solar flare or something could make a lot of sense. The initial theories I had of the Phantom Zone or going to the future seems more unlikely now with how heavy-handed they're playing the no-hope scenario. Makes me think they at least want to give the illusion of death. A complete lack of trace of him in the sun, with maybe a nod to the reader that he's still in there, would suffice.
    They certainly want to play around and try not to be predictable to us since some of us either know, or came to know about how The Death and Return of Superman happened. There was even a videogame about it and an animated flick which shows how the events happened in a general sense.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

First, Diana doesn't believe for a moment that Superman will stay dead. Call it woman's intuition if you like.
    Then, when Darkseid steals Superman's body to use him as his personal soldier, Diana wears her golden armor ('cause it's cool) to go to Apokolips, kick Darkseid's ass and bring Superman back.
    By the end of story, Diana holds Superman in her arms like a baby and he opens his eyes. Superman is alive and well because reasons.

DIANA: "I knew you'd come back to life"
    KAL: "How?"
    DIANA "You must not have read many comics in your life, right?"

(Obviously, Tomasi will write this version of the Return of Superman. )
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 04-24-2016 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    First, Diana doesn't believe for a moment that Superman will stay dead. Call it woman's intuition if you like.
    Then, when Darkseid steals Superman's body to use him as his personal soldier, Diana wears her golden armor ('cause it's cool) to go to Apokolips, kick Darkseid's ass and bring Superman back.
    By the end of story, Diana holds Superman in her arms like a baby and he opens his eyes. Superman is alive and well because reasons.

DIANA: "I knew you'd come back to life"
    KAL: "How?"
    DIANA "You must not have read many comics in your life, right?"

(Obviously, Tomasi will write this version of the Return of Superman. )
    She breaks the fourth wall?!!!

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    She breaks the fourth wall?!!!
    Yes... and from then on, Wonder Woman will sell more than Deadpool and Harley Quinn.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

They already have new super-man and superwoman plus however long Lex will be supes, so I don't think they want to play with the superman concept that badly.

Those concepts won't last in the long-run. Maybe one of them really surprises and catches on, but I doubt it. Eventually, status-quo will take back over and Lois Lane will return to being a normal human. Status quo will eventually take over and Lex will go back to being a normal human. The wild card is Kenan. Maybe he catches on, but the habits of DC readership suggests it won't.