Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I'm just not seeing it now. I was initially, but to me the evidence mounts the more you look at it. I think there was a "plan" in place here all the same (plan used loosely because we know how DC is with their planning these days). That plan being for the ultimate end result to be essentially the equivalent of the pre-Crisis status quo of Earth One Superman/Earth Two Superman. Only difference being they'll probably operate in the same Earth. Which I think is superfluous, but just judiging from their leanings it will all be on Earth-0. The precedent has been set in the past and I think that's what they're going for in the end. Fans have noticed for some time now the unique divide within the fandom considering the more drastic differences between different incarnations of Superman that don't really exist with a lot of other characters. I'm thinking DC noticed it finally as well. Hell it might not even be something they're just now coming to the conclusion of, as past evidence shows they wanted to do something like this before Flashpoint as well when they introduced Earth-22 Superman to the main verse. An older Superman with the JSA, and a younger Superman with the JLA. Indeed its no coincidence to me that this is happening when the classic JSA returning to the New 52 world is just around the corner.

The only reason they're "killing off" the New 52 Superman instead of just jumping right into the new status quo is because they want to give the New 52 version his own boost (though I think its rather unnecessary and gimmicky, but I guess that's the point of a cheap boost). The old Superman is staying, I have no doubt about that. But it will be in conjunction with New 52 Superman, not the replacement scenario they're touting right now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-26-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Im still not sold on the theory, but there is a fair amount of "Reign of the Supermen redux" happening here.

1992: Superman dies, is replaced by four different versions before his return.

2016: Superman dies, is replaced by three (four if you include Kara or Jon) different versions.....possibly before his return (time will tell).

I mean, you can't deny the similarities happening there; in 1992 we had Superboy; a young, rookie hero with an attitude suddenly forced to fill Superman's shoes. In 2016 not only do we have a new Superboy with Jon but also Kenan; a young, rookie hero with an attitude suddenly forced to fill Superman's shoes.

In 1992 John Henry Irons, who had a run-in with Superman prior to his death, took up the mantle. In 2016 Lois Lane, who had many run-ins with Superman prior to his death, is taking up the mantle.

In 1992 we had the Cyborg Superman, a guy who claimed to be Superman but didn't have the memories to match. In 2016 we have Superdad, a guy who claims to be Superman but doesn't have the memories to match. I would say that Superdad obviously isnt a villain, but given how DC treated Kal-L......

I still dont buy the theory that Clark's returning. Well, I dont know if its been DC's plan from the beginning (when Superdad fails to sell Superman will likely return, planned or not) but there is enough evidence here to support the idea that Sacred's right.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Also worth mentioning is that, despite my misgivings with this regime, they do tend to to favor me in at least one of my opinions in that they don't like the overuse of multiple incarnation stuff that Marvel does so much. Its part of the reason I still prefer them to Marvel. They tend to prefer things to at least have the illusion of being a little more cohesive and coherent (even though they fail with that and make things more confusing than they have to be in their own dysfunctional way). That's another reason I doubt that for the long term their goal is literally resting everything Superman on the heels of an out-of-continuity, out-of-place version. Yes he looks to be sticking around. I can buy that they want to try that despite their conventional methods, again considering they were already trying that with Earth-22 Superman pre-Flashpoint. But as the only game in town for the long haul? That doesn't seem very DC, not with this regime. Even the one idea of out of-continuity characters being around that I did like in Power Girl and Huntress has been abandoned, with them going back to Helena Bertenelli Huntress and keeping Power Girl on her own Earth with Earth-0 having its own (albeit poor man's version) PG. Their history to me suggests they will want the actual Earth-0 incarnation back; it doesn't seem their M.O. to remove him indefinitely.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-26-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Far be it from me to rain on your parade. After all, I'm a Wally West fan who's very familiar with keeping hope alive that my preferred version of the character will somehow, someday, return. This strikes me as a similar situation; and while I'm not personally a fan of the N52 Superman, I can and do sympathize: here's hoping you get the return that you want — as long as it isn't at the cost of the pre-FP Superman that I want.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    If this doesn't happen I will be completely and utterly disappointed.
    Seconded. That would be beyond awesome.

Oh its pretty damn far from a parade for me yet. I'm still bummed they're doing it this way in the first place. I may be confident he's coming back, but I still think its stupid to get rid of him in the first place, even temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Simple, post your ideas on how he'll come back. I know its harder to theorize at the moment since we don't actually know yet how Final Days ends, but hey, be imaginative.

I'm now leaning toward the idea that he appears to categorically die and leave a body behind. His skin goes green and all, reminiscent to the imaginary tale and original Death of Superman in Superman #149. Much like his pre-FP counterpart though, The Eradicator will restore Superman using his abilities and technology. He shows up initially as a villain because he's antagonistic toward Superdad and Superboy; on one hand they're from an alternate Krypton and thus in his eyes abominations, and also Jon is a half breed, also an abomination. Later though it'll be shown he's been working in the meantime to revive the "true" Last Son of Krypton.

I'm thinking it will be something in line with this because I'm becoming more convinced that this might actually be marketed as a spiritual sequel to Reign of the Supermen. And with Jurgens penning it he'll likely rely heavily on this old ideas. Since, you know, he doesn't really have any new ones, heh.
    i like the idea of him turning green as a call back to Superman #149. i agree that the Eradicator will have something to do with it. since all signs point to a Death and Return homage taking place.

I'm thinking his return will have something to do with that energy that is possessing the man who is now calling himself Clark Kent. it's strange that Superman is loosing his powers right as an energy mass is giving a normal human super strength as some of Clark's memories.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Issue 1000.

Big event. He will come back. Fill people with nostalgia, then die/go-away again. Like the way they trotted Kal-L out over and over again.

I think he'll be back sooner than that, and I think there's a better chance Superdad would go away in such an event over him. Superdad is the figurative Kal-L of the new equation, after all. But I think you can work it with them both around so wouldn't wish him being lost again on the fans that like him (when I said so before a few weeks ago I was just angry in direct response to the news).
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-27-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Never! (Although with these guys you never know). As for the theory, I dunno. I'm leaning towards the All-Star version, with him going into the sun as the only way to cure himself, initially not knowing whether he'll return or not.
    Yeah, I'm leaning toward that theory too ... or at least something similar

I doubt he'll stay dead ... if he did he'd practically be the only character in mainstream comics history to do so, I don't see that happening (especially since he's got a pretty strong fanbase)

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

That's actually a strong point to make. He indeed would be the only character in comics to stay dead if the idiots at DC went that way.

Besides, we've already had two covers in which Superman is IN the sun. So, I'm guessing something's up.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    Yeah, I'm leaning toward that theory too ... or at least something similar

I doubt he'll stay dead ... if he did he'd practically be the only character in mainstream comics history to do so, I don't see that happening (especially since he's got a pretty strong fanbase)
    Kenny Braverman/Conduit and Maxima stayed dead Pre-Flashpoint. My best guess is as good as yours though, where DC assumes that they can repeat a "Death and Return of Superman" to an assumed younger fanbase, and think it will have a similar effect as the Death and Return of Superman did Post-Crisis. But IMHO, the problem with Superman for years has been the Crossover Events, which are a real drag unless you are a hardcore supporter of Superman. In other words, exclusive.

Does anyone have any idea about who the new Eradicator is? I keep getting the impression, however wrong it may be, that the new Eradicator is Zor-El or something. WHY?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Kenny Braverman/Conduit and Maxima stayed dead Pre-Flashpoint. My best guess is as good as yours though, where DC assumes that they can repeat a "Death and Return of Superman" to an assumed younger fanbase, and think it will have a similar effect as the Death and Return of Superman did Post-Crisis. But IMHO, the problem with Superman for years has been the Crossover Events, which are a real drag unless you are a hardcore supporter of Superman. In other words, exclusive.

Does anyone have any idea about who the new Eradicator is? I keep getting the impression, however wrong it may be, that the new Eradicator is Zor-El or something. WHY?!!!
    Zor-el is Cyborg Superman

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Zor-el is Cyborg Superman
    True, but I am stuck thinking he changes and becomes a new Eradicator somehow. I don't know why, maybe it's because he's family or something If not, then hopefully he has evolved from his last beatdown.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    True, but I am stuck thinking he changes and becomes a new Eradicator somehow. I don't know why, maybe it's because he's family or something If not, then hopefully he has evolved from his last beatdown.
    But he shows up as Cyborg Superman in fall to fight Supergirl, while Eradicator is in July to fight Superman and Jon