Amazing Member

Default question abou the hellboy novels.

i have read that the only novels that are cannon are The Lost Army and The Bones of Giants as they are listed in the official timeline printed in Hellboy: The Companion book.

have any of the other novels been included as cannon since the Companion was released in 2008 and a few novels have been published since then?

Quote Originally Posted by breen2057 View Post
    i have read that the only novels that are cannon are The Lost Army and The Bones of Giants as they are listed in the official timeline printed in Hellboy: The Companion book.

have any of the other novels been included as cannon since the Companion was released in 2008 and a few novels have been published since then?
    Christopher Golden says that all his novels are canon. They are The Lost Army, The Bones of Giants, and The Dragon Pool. All the other novels aren't canon.

That said, they aren't strictly canon either. In broad strokes, yes, these stories happened, but the fine details, no. For example in The Lost Army, Anastasia is said to have suggested to Hellboy that he wear his hair back in a knot. This is clearly not true, since he met her in 1979, but he's been wearing his hair that way since he first started growing hair on his scalp in 1948. Likewise, don't expect other things mentioned, like Abe's taste in music, to be canonical either.

EDIT: The short story The Nuckelavee is also canon (from Hellboy: Odd Jobs). It was mentioned in Hellboy: The Companion's timeline.
    Last edited by middenway; 04-24-2016 at 10:07 PM.

All-New Member Power Hungry Monkey's Avatar

EDIT: The short story The Nuckelavee is also canon (from Hellboy: Odd Jobs). It was mentioned in Hellboy: The Companion's timeline.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Middenway, I've had a massive hunt through the comics several times trying to find where the Nucklavee came from. Been bugging me coz it sounded familiar but I've never read Odd Jobs. One more thing to update in my timeline, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Power Hungry Monkey View Post
    Thanks Middenway, I've had a massive hunt through the comics several times trying to find where the Nucklavee came from. Been bugging me coz it sounded familiar but I've never read Odd Jobs. One more thing to update in my timeline, cheers
    FYI / to add: 'the Nuckelavee' (versus Hellboy) also appeared as a Mike Mignola pinup in the Dark Horse Maverick Annual 2001 (a kingsize anthology comic), with later getting reprinted as a Dave Stewart colored version in the Art of Hellboy.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 04-26-2016 at 07:06 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper