Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Knock-Knock/ Keanu Reeves

Not the last 10 minutes, but I'd say maybe 10 of the last 12 min. or so (estimated) of the Matrix. A fairly decent study into philosophy, faith, determination, and society's growing interest in the internet at the time as a neo-noir. The revelation that "reality" was a post-apocalyptic future was pretty devastating. The agents were mysterious, which did a lot for their appeal. But then the final gunfight to save Morpheus started, and the movie just seemed to throw away all that patience to speed up to the action, like it got impatient.

The last two minutes of the movie where Neo figures out that he is The One partially redeemed it, but not fully. The fighting is well done, don't get me wrong, but it's like the movie missed a step. And I also sometimes think that the praise the movie gets for its themes is sometimes overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    It's more like last 45 minutes, but that unbelievably long end scene in the second hobbit that ended with them pouring a pool of gold on the dragon really ruined the movie for me. Until then it was shaping up to be the only one of the new trilogy I actually enjoyed.
    I have to ask.....WHY? Why would you go see additional parts of a trilogy if you didn't like the first film? And then to see the third one as well?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I have to ask.....WHY? Why would you go see additional parts of a trilogy if you didn't like the first film? And then to see the third one as well?
    Not all films in a series are created equal. Kind of like how the first couple Fast and the Furious movies sucked, and then the next batch were pretty decent. Or first three X-Men movies -- X1 was so-so, X2 was a vast improvement, and then X3 was terrible.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Man alive. I just remembered the ending of The Dark Knight Rises. Everything is wrong with that. Bane's effectiveness as a villain dissolving in the big bad switcheroo. The stupid ooh lets have a secret romantic getaway in another country despite the fact that I'm a famous celeb and all over the internet/celeb magazines. And don't get me started on ooh my middle name is Robin, here's the key to the Batcave, why don't I give that a go with zero training from Batman.... It was just a lousy ending on so many levels imo.
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

LOVE Skyfall, my second favourite Bond after From Russia With Love. Love it, love it.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

No Country For Old Men- The movie just nose dived after Brolin's character picked up the phone and began uttering threats. I just didn't get it.

Captain America: Winter Soldier

They bring down three helicarriers in downtown Washington, DC -- taking out the Shield building in the process -- and no one is held responsible for their part in the devestation. When Black Widow basically tells the Congressional committee that they won't do anything because they "need us" it really blew the story for me. Sorry. But she, Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, and Nick Fury would've all been either in prison or hit with civil suits after that destructive ending battle. But, y'know, quips and smart assery carry the day in the MCU, so who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Django Unchained. Well more like the last half hour but it's a longish movie. Django surviving the Candyland shootout at all stretched my suspension of disbelief pretty far, even for a Tarantino movie. But if it ended with him being captured I think it would have been an alright ending. The escape from Australian Tarantino and the return to Candyland to kill everyone was just silly and really made me hate the character and by extension the film. You may as well of had Tom Sawyer come out of no where and save the day.
    What? I would have been PISSED had I watched all that and Django not get his revenge and caused all the manner of destruction he caused at the end and got his wife back. Hell outta here.
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    On a separate note, did somebody diss No Climax for Old Men?

Pun aside, the end - for me, at least - was excellent and perfectly suited the low-key, downbeat feel of the film.
    Actually, I'd say it's a classic!
    A lot of people bitch about how ridiculous Hollywood is, but you finally get a hero who realises, "I could die, he could die... we could both die. Or, I could just do nothing," and instead of the film being praised for having the balls to stay to the bitter realism it presented right up to that point, people are complaining that there wasn't a big John Woo shoot-out finale.
    Sigh.
    I also thought the ending was fantastic and fresh.
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

BANNED

I feel like if you think there wasn't an ending to No Country For Old Men, than you've massively misunderstood the whole movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    LOVE Skyfall, my second favourite Bond after From Russia With Love. Love it, love it.
    It's easily the worst of these new Bond movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    I wasn't a fan of Skyfall but the end was the least of its problems. In my humble opinion.
    To be fair, Bond lured the villains out to a deserted spot to keep bystander casualties to the minimum - to keep the battle between M and Silva (and whoever each had on their side). I didn't see anything wrong with the end... but I can see how cool a Sean Connery cameo as the caretaker would have been.
    Holy sh*t, I'm only now seeing it... the producers missed a big bang by not casting him.

Then again, would Sean Connery really want to belittle his Bond days by playing such a tiny part? And the caretaker was kind of useless...

On a separate note, did somebody diss No Climax for Old Men?

Pun aside, the end - for me, at least - was excellent and perfectly suited the low-key, downbeat feel of the film.
    Actually, I'd say it's a classic!
    A lot of people bitch about how ridiculous Hollywood is, but you finally get a hero who realises, "I could die, he could die... we could both die. Or, I could just do nothing," and instead of the film being praised for having the balls to stay to the bitter realism it presented right up to that point, people are complaining that there wasn't a big John Woo shoot-out finale.
    Sigh.

The bigger missed opportunity is not casting Pierce Brosnan as Silva, the last top agent of Judi Dench M who was a left behind after his last mission.

The caretaker would be a whole different character with Connery in the role. His past history with the series would give him more meaning. As he is he's just some random guy, with Connery in the role you've got the original Bond actor as the man who raised James Bond...in Bonds ancestral home, in the Scottish Highlands, that new Bond took a '60s Aston Martin DB5 out to meet. One version is you getting to see past and present Bond teaming up, what is there is a character so pointless it doesn't even need to be there.

The Mist is one that comes to mind. Hated that ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Captain America: Winter Soldier

They bring down three helicarriers in downtown Washington, DC -- taking out the Shield building in the process -- and no one is held responsible for their part in the devestation. When Black Widow basically tells the Congressional committee that they won't do anything because they "need us" it really blew the story for me. Sorry. But she, Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, and Nick Fury would've all been either in prison or hit with civil suits after that destructive ending battle. But, y'know, quips and smart assery carry the day in the MCU, so who cares.
    How dare they stop a terrorist group from killing a milion people!
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html