Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Atoms

BANNED

Default The Atoms

What would you think about a comic starring Al Pratt and Ray Palmer?

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

I'm a Ryan Choi guy.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    I'm a Ryan Choi guy.
    Forget all of the guys, I want a new female Atom/Atomica.

Astonishing Member

Gimme all of 'em.

Need a new "heroic" Atomica? Let's bring back an unfridged Princess Laethwyn!

Team Atom. A team of microscopic explorers, team-leader and military liaison Al Pratt, scientists Ray and Ryan, and mysterious miniature princess Laethwyn.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Gimme all of 'em.

Need a new "heroic" Atomica? Let's bring back an unfridged Princess Laethwyn!

Team Atom. A team of microscopic explorers, team-leader and military liaison Al Pratt, scientists Ray and Ryan, and mysterious miniature princess Laethwyn.
    OK, let's have all four. I bet it would work. Just call it The Atoms.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-25-2016 at 11:05 AM.

Astonishing Member

The Atom has been a hard sell for decades. They'd be better off keeping things simple if they tried a new series, rather than throwing a bunch of different iterations together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The Atom has been a hard sell for decades. They'd be better off keeping things simple if they tried a new series, rather than throwing a bunch of different iterations together.
    It's been a hard sell because they've tried to sell individual protagonists. This is a team. It's a different approach, and each character would pull in his or her fans.

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    I'm a Ryan Choi guy.
    same here. i couldn't care less about ray palmer and too young to even know who al pratt is lol. can't we just leave these old characters in the past?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
    same here. i couldn't care less about ray palmer and too young to even know who al pratt is lol. can't we just leave these old characters in the past?
    So Choi is going to sell a solo title? You think? Be realistic here. The best you can do is get him on a team. Something is usually better than nothing, and if that doesn't suit you, that's too bad. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

Al Pratt and Ray Palmer are both among my all time favorite characters i'd love to read a comic starring both of them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's been a hard sell because they've tried to sell individual protagonists. This is a team. It's a different approach, and each character would pull in his or her fans.
    The combined fanbases of every iteration of The Atom still wouldn't be enough to make an Atom book sell.

How big of a draw is Al Pratt, really?

A new Atom series would need to click with a new audience, the current audience. Fan-service won't cut it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The combined fanbases of every iteration of The Atom still wouldn't be enough to make an Atom book sell.

How big of a draw is Al Pratt, really?

A new Atom series would need to click with a new audience, the current audience. Fan-service won't cut it.
    The old Atoms didn't sell as solo protagonists but a new one would? You haven't even seen that new Atom, but you know it would sell. Sure it would.

You're welcome not to read a comic like this. I would, and I think quite a few other people would. The team idea deserves a chance. Some "new Atom" who doesn't even exist yet should not get that chance instead.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-25-2016 at 12:35 PM.

BANNED

And by the way, a team is about more than the sum of its individual parts. It's about the dynamic that the writers establish.

Put this out there in a few threads hoping "fans" would rally for it, might as well post it yet again here...

ASIAN AND LATINO SUPERHEROES - http://community.comicbookresources....l=1#post702087

DC... MORE DIVERSE - http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post1645426

BEST...UNDERRATED/UNDERUSED...WHO COULD USE...a "FAMILY" - http://community.comicbookresources....da#post1670219

CHARACTERS THAT DESERVE A 2ND CHANCE - http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post1710115

Yes to all of these, finally making the Atoms a TEAM! book would actually cover a lot of needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    The Atoms!

I wish they would turn the Atoms into a family team book.

The first arc being Ray and Ryan teaming up, to find the "good" Rhonda Pineda. Who they believe by all logic should have a counterpart who exists in their earth/universe.
    The thing is finding out why she is missing, and where she is.

Maybe (the real Earth Rhonda) was unable to control her power, she is trapped in a tiny gravity mass singularity/black hole, or whatever the physics for it would be. Hence she's never been seen on this Earth.

Have Ray and Ryan then go on a Fantastic Voyage type of adventure through the microverse to find her, and bring her into the fold.

Ending in the formation of the Team Atom!
    Or Atomics!

Maybe to distinguish the power redundancy, give them each more unique powers based on the same theme.

Ray can shrink
    Ryan can grow or increase his mass density.
    Rhonda can subdivide her mass into multiple copies, but the more she multiplies, the smaller they each must be so as to maintain her same mass.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-26-2016 at 08:25 AM.

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    So Choi is going to sell a solo title? You think? Be realistic here. The best you can do is get him on a team. Something is usually better than nothing, and if that doesn't suit you, that's too bad. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
    lol i think it'd sell alot better than f*ckin al pratt. i'd definitely buy it. the problem is racist fans and dc themselves who dont support minority heroes. theres a reason people think dc is the "all white club". we get it you're stuck in the past and want old characters but its 2016 and ryan choi deserves a solo. idk why you even bothered asking people what they think if you're gonna get all defense and argue with them for having different opinions