Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Atoms

a man who created images dr-brainwave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Also put it out there in a few threads, might as well repeat it here...
    but what about Al Pratt?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    The old Atoms didn't sell as solo protagonists but a new one would? You haven't even seen that new Atom, but you know it would sell. Sure it would.

You're welcome not to read a comic like this. I would, and I think quite a few other people would. The team idea deserves a chance. Some "new Atom" who doesn't even exist yet should not get that chance instead.
    I didn't say a new Atom. I said a new Atom series.

Quote Originally Posted by dr-brainwave View Post
    but what about Al Pratt?
    That's allot of last names beginning with P!

Definitely bring Al Pratt the pugnacious-pugilist along too! Although I'd make him a physicist as well.
    Maybe give him the super atomic-density powers.
    Then Palmer expands on his work with the dwarf-star to actually shrink.
    Choi, flips it and can increase in size! Give him an atomic giant Ultraman type look as a huge hommage.
    And Rhonda figures out how to subdivide her mass, into ever increasing smaller multiples of herself.

Al Pratt should be the one who inspires all the others!

As far as the classic Atom symbol, Pratt should symbolize the proton(nucleus), always orbited by the three electrons, Ray, Ryan and Rhonda. Together forming the team Atom.

I hate how DC and some fans use "legacy" to replace, and as an excuse to hate on previous version, horribly dividing fans of the old and new.
    Further exasperated by new characters understandably and by necessity being more diverse, then the new fans accusing the old of being racist, just cause they want to see their classic character too.
    It's horrible.
    Legacy should be used as a tool to grow and expand the franchise! Bringing both old and new fans along..

The Atomics would be a great example of how to do that, and would make such a cool team!
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-03-2016 at 06:41 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungWolf View Post
    lol i think it'd sell alot better than f*ckin al pratt. i'd definitely buy it. the problem is racist fans and dc themselves who dont support minority heroes. theres a reason people think dc is the "all white club". we get it you're stuck in the past and want old characters but its 2016 and ryan choi deserves a solo. idk why you even bothered asking people what they think if you're gonna get all defense and argue with them for having different opinions
    I didn't say Al Pratt should get a solo title. YOU said Ryan Choi should get a solo title..

I'm saying Choi should be on this team, and you're playing the care card? Be serious.

Anyway, if you want to see an Asian hero, you should want to see me write Green Lantern. I promise you'd get one. But that's another topic.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-25-2016 at 01:56 PM.

BANNED

Another good thing about this team is that four tends to be a very good number.

You've got a Golden Age character, a Silver Age character, an Asian and a woman. That's a good lineup.

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

I didn't say Al Pratt should get a solo title. YOU said Ryan Choi should get a solo title..

I'm saying Choi should be on this team, and you're playing the care card? Be serious.

Anyway, if you want to see an Asian hero, you should want to see me write Green Lantern. I promise you'd get one. But that's another topic.
    "What would you think about a comic starring Al Pratt and Ray Palmer?"

^thats literally how you started this thread lol. don't see ryan choi anywhere in that sentence, do you? you didnt even say anything about him until after the fact. so yes im "playing the race card" because minorities are severely underrepresented in comics, especially at dc. why doesnt any minority hero have their own book? even jaime reyes now has to share a book with ted kord and for what? nah i highly doubt i'd ever wanna read a comic you wrote since your replies to people with opposing opinions are "if that doesn't suit you, that's too bad. dont read it" lol i dont need you to write an asian hero when a perfectly good one already exists.

BANNED

"What would you think about a comic starring Al Pratt and Ray Palmer?"

^thats literally how you started this thread lol. don't see ryan choi anywhere in that sentence, do you? you didnt even say anything about him until after the fact. so yes im "playing the race card" because minorities are severely underrepresented in comics, especially at dc. why doesnt any minority hero have their own book? even jaime reyes now has to share a book with ted kord and for what? nah i highly doubt i'd ever wanna read a comic you wrote since your replies to people with opposing opinions are "if that doesn't suit you, that's too bad. dont read it" lol i dont need you to write an asian hero when a perfectly good one already exists.
    How was that an Al Pratt solo title? It wasn't. And as soon as K Jones suggested it include the other two Atoms, I said sure.

**Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Gimme all of 'em.

Need a new "heroic" Atomica? Let's bring back an unfridged Princess Laethwyn!

Team Atom. A team of microscopic explorers, team-leader and military liaison Al Pratt, scientists Ray and Ryan, and mysterious miniature princess Laethwyn.

Me: OK, let's have all four. I bet it would work. Just call it The Atoms.**

Yer according to you, I dismiss other people's opinions!

So then you come along and have to be a wet blanket:

**i couldn't care less about ray palmer and too young to even know who al pratt is lol. can't we just leave these old characters in the past?**

Get out of here with that stuff. And yes, if I write a comic and someone with an attitude like that doesn't like it, they can just not read it. Why would that bother me? I'd prefer that they didn't. In fact I'd insist that everyone with an attitude like that stay away from any comic I write.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-25-2016 at 04:31 PM.

I'd totally be down for a Team Atom book. I like the "All New Atomics" idea, though Im not sold on the description of the powers. I mean, rather than have Ryan Choi get growing powers, just add Atom Smasher to the roster. Sure, Ryan and Ray have the same basic powerset, but Ryan does mix it up a little with that flying device of his, and I seem to recall he had a few other tricks Ray didnt, and vice-versa. And its not like overlapping powers are a real problem anyway.

None of the Atoms are going to move a solo title. And I honestly doubt that all of them on one book would either, just on the premise of the roster. But a team of science heroes, bravely (and humorously) exploring the vast reaches of the micro-verse and fighting for science and justice (or somesuch)? Yeah, that could be fun. Im seeing something like Atomic Robo or Tom Strong in my head, and I think its a mold DC could work with and sell. Unless you get someone like Hickman, Johns, or another big name on the book, it's likely never going to be a big seller, but I could see it being a very consistent mid-tier book.

Al Pratt....I'd keep him as a little person, the idea that his powers made him short (or whatever it was) was stupid. Let this guy be the brawler who just happens to be really short and leave it at that.

I'd throw in Atom Smasher too, for no reason other than he's a great character who could really be something with the right creators. But that's just personal preference.

Ryan and Ray....hard to argue with that one-two team-up, though Ryan better come with his relationship to Giganta. That was the best romance in comics man.

Honestly, as much as I support diversity, throwing a token woman on the roster is going to feel like just that. Especially if she's a new character or the "good" version of Forever Evil's Atomika. I suppose Doll-Girl or Doll-Woman or whatever her name was would work (as would Doll-Man for that matter if you feel the need to get every shrinky hero together) but for strong and interesting female characters you could just bring in the supporting cast and use them right, with plenty of panel time and a regular dose of good moments. And you could always build up one of them into a new hero, so it doesnt feel as forced.

Heh, look at that Trey, I actually agree with you!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I guess I am one of those fans who really liked the concept of the Atom & bought every series that starred The Atom (Al, Ray or Ryan)

Spectacular Member TheYoungWolf's Avatar

How was that an Al Pratt solo title? It wasn't. And as soon as K Jones suggested it include the other two Atoms, I said sure.

**Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Gimme all of 'em.

Need a new "heroic" Atomica? Let's bring back an unfridged Princess Laethwyn!

Team Atom. A team of microscopic explorers, team-leader and military liaison Al Pratt, scientists Ray and Ryan, and mysterious miniature princess Laethwyn.

Me: OK, let's have all four. I bet it would work. Just call it The Atoms.**

Yer according to you, I dismiss other people's opinions!

So then you come along and have to be a wet blanket:

**i couldn't care less about ray palmer and too young to even know who al pratt is lol. can't we just leave these old characters in the past?**

Get out of here with that stuff. And yes, if I write a comic and someone with an attitude like that doesn't like it, they can just not read it. Why would that bother me? I'd prefer that they didn't. In fact I'd insist that everyone with an attitude like that stay away from any comic I write.
    like i said you only said that after the fact. im being a "wet blanket" for giving my opinion which you asked for and got butt hurt when you didnt like it? lol dude how old are you? me and my friends are in our 20's and couldn't give 2 f*cks about these old ass white characters. i'll take ryan choi, jaime reyes, khalid nassour over palmer/pratt, kord, and kent any day. if dc wants to survive the next 20 years they need to be more diverse and put minority heroes in the spotlight, not cancel their books at 12 issues -__-"

What would you think about a comic starring Al Pratt and Ray Palmer?
    I'd read it!
    Pull list: Action Comics, Aquaman, Batgirl, Batman, Detective Comics, Earth 2: Society, Flintstones, Future Quest, Green Arrow, Hal Jordan & Green Lantern Corp, Harley Quinn, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Justice League, Justice League of America, New Suicide Squad, Nightwing, Red Hood, Scooby Apocalypse, Superman, Teen Titans, The Flash, Titans, Wacky Raceland

Spectacular Member

Cool idea. I will say though that if they only kept Al in the JSA, I would love to see them bring back Damage. As much as I liked JSA by Johns the original Damage series was a fun read.
    Have you pre-ordered Nova yet? I have.

BANNED

like i said you only said that after the fact. im being a "wet blanket" for giving my opinion which you asked for and got butt hurt when you didnt like it? lol dude how old are you? me and my friends are in our 20's and couldn't give 2 f*cks about these old ass white characters. i'll take ryan choi, jaime reyes, khalid nassour over palmer/pratt, kord, and kent any day. if dc wants to survive the next 20 years they need to be more diverse and put minority heroes in the spotlight, not cancel their books at 12 issues -__-"
    Interesting how you say all this despite your avatar being one of the whiter characters in recent fantasy. Seriously, house Stark is the whitebread of GoT. Also, DC is risking profits by giving Simon Baz and Hessica Cruz the main GL book, and also by continuing to publish Blue Beetle and Cyborg books despite those series not being top sellers. Give them some credit.

BANNED

Let's stay on topic. These four Atoms could make a good team. None of them could carry a solo title, but the four together and the dynamic they'd create could fly. It needs a good writer to get it started and get it some attention, but the concept is solid and wouldn't depend on any particular writer.

We need to get DC thinking about The Atoms, a Charlton team title called Pax Americana and a Flash team title called Speed Force.

I could dig a Ray/Ryan/Laethwyn team. I don't see Al working since he's on Earth-2 these days, and didn't have shrinking powers historically. Throw in Adam Cray as the secret weapon of the group and you've got an interesting dynamic.

My big problem is with the name. I don't think Atoms has a nice ring to it, but I don't really have anything better to suggest.